Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
gdaydigger
gdaydigger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Kindle Voyage purchased in Japan: buyer beware

A gentle warning to all those who may be considering purchasing a Kindle Voyage in Japan: the 3G version ONLY works in Japan. As ridiculous as it may sound, once you leave Japan you can only use Wifi. I have spent hours talking to Amazon CS in both the US and Japan about this issue . The former (understandably) had no idea it was an issue and took me through umpteen possible fix options (all of which failed); the latter said that NTT in Japan, with whom I assume Amazon.co.jp has partnered, only provides 3G coverage in Japan. Sure enough, when I got my wife to read the Japanese fineprint on the amazon.co.jp website this was confirmed. Crazy.

Is anyone aware of other stores where such geographical restrictions are in place?

PS Regardless of the above, the Voyage is a significantly worthwhile upgrade to PW1. The text is infinitely sharper and I do enjoy having the option of the page turn buttons.
gdaydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaydigger View Post
A gentle warning to all those who may be considering purchasing a Kindle Voyage in Japan: the 3G version ONLY works in Japan.
Yep. This is well-known. Same thing applies to the entire Kindle range. It's a great pity you didn't ask here before buying.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
gdaydigger
gdaydigger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Not sure I understand you. If i bought the KW in the UK or the US Iwould assume that the 3G would work in 100+ countries as advertised. Or not?
gdaydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaydigger View Post
Not sure I understand you. If i bought the KW in the UK or the US Iwould assume that the 3G would work in 100+ countries as advertised. Or not?
That's absolutely right, but unfortunately Japanese 3G Kindles are different. I'd always thought that it was due to differences in the Japanese phone system, but I may be completely wrong about that. It's the one country where a 3G Kindle won't work elsewhere, regrettably. You're absolutely right in saying that a 3G Kindle bought in the UK will work in the US, France, Australia, etc etc, and vice versa.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
kocoman
Enthusiast
kocoman began at the beginning.

why buy from japan? there are ad screensavers ones at ebay?
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's absolutely right, but unfortunately Japanese 3G Kindles are different. I'd always thought that it was due to differences in the Japanese phone system, but I may be completely wrong about that. It's the one country where a 3G Kindle won't work elsewhere, regrettably. You're absolutely right in saying that a 3G Kindle bought in the UK will work in the US, France, Australia, etc etc, and vice versa.
I don't know why that should make a difference, as I believe the 3G for the non-Japanese-edition Kindles works just fine in Japan.
Coverage map
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1st Gen, iPad 2, iPhone 5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't know why that should make a difference, as I believe the 3G for the non-Japanese-edition Kindles works just fine in Japan.
Coverage map
Amazon probably negotiated much better rates for users that spend the majority of their time in Japan. They're probably paying much more for roaming users but betting that it won't be the majority of their use if the device is sold to a different country.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote