Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
kyzcreig
kyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kindle paperwhite
Notes disappeared from book (document)?

I went to check a book I spent a few days annotating only to find all annotations missing. After some sleuthing I discovered this can sometimes happen when kindle updates.

In any case all the annotations are intact in the clippings.txt file but they're not attached to the document itself. How can I rectify this? I.e. how can I transfer the clippings.txt data back to the document files (mpb?).

I also checked amazon's your-highlights page and couldn't find any of the annotations. It would appear amazon doesn't sync document annotations - or maybe I'm wrong?
kyzcreig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #2
kyzcreig
kyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

nobody?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:22 AM   #3
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Check that Annotations sync is enabled at http://amzn.com/myk

Never seen this happen on an update myself.

The documents/{ebook-file}.sdr/ folder you say has been partially/emptied?

There is no known way to restore the annotations files from the My Clippings.txt logfile, sorry.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Never seen this happen on an update myself.
It will happen if the book is updated, which can happen if you have the "automatically update books" option turned on in the MYK page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It will happen if the book is updated, which can happen if you have the "automatically update books" option turned on in the MYK page.
True.

I believe Amazon warns you that Sync must be on or you will lose annotations.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
kyzcreig

I've disabled automatic book updates, thank you.

The .sdr file for the book seems to have been modified yes, but gratefully I found the annotations still in my clippings.txt

Is there no way, given their associated bibliographical data, to insert them back in?

Edit: I believe my notes are synced. This is in the device settings, no?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:18 AM   #7
bonacker
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle g
This just happened to me on a personal text document that wasn't synced. It was sent to sendtoreader that sends it to my Kindle email which sends it to my basic Kindle with 5.6.1 firmware as an azw3. I added some notes to the personal document, but a week later the document did not show any highlighting where I had added the note. The note contents were still in the clippings.txt and indicated they were associated correctly with the document I had annotated.

The automatic updates should have nothing to do with this glitch, afaik. There have been no updates to the firmware. All my books and docs originate with me (not Amazon) and are either sideloaded or get sent to my Kindle via the sendtoreader app/Kindle email.

Does anyone know why this happened? It's only happened this one time after a month or so of around 20 annotations.

Last edited by bonacker; 01-07-2015 at 05:21 AM.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzcreig View Post
Is there no way, given their associated bibliographical data, to insert them back in?
Nothing short of manually reading the "My Clippings.txt" log and adding the annotations back in by hand. Sorry.

Quote:
Edit: I believe my notes are synced. This is in the device settings, no?
It is also a setting on http://amzn.com/myk
You may need to enable both.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-07-2015 at 11:44 AM.