Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Epub to Mobi issue with metadata

In the 0.8.27 version, epub to mobi conversion appears to be creating the metadata at the start of the mobi file even if the preference is deselected.

Tests done
RTF to Epub with the selection to add Metadata - Fine
RTF to Epub without Fine

RTF to Mobi with ... - Fine
RTF to Mobi without ...- Fine

Epub to Mobi with... - Fail - double Metadata
Epub to mobi without ... - Fail - single Metadata

I did ensure that the global preferences were changed and were used instead of per file settings.

When I regressed to 0.8.26 all was fine again. I will raise a bug report if this is confirmed as such and not something stupid I have done etc.

Last edited by oldbwl; 11-19-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added bug report sentance
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont see this. Are you sure the epub you are converting does not already have the metadata in it?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
oldbwl
Zealot

I can reproduce this every single time.
The attachments demonstrate.

Using v8.26:
file 1. A simple RTF file with no Metadata. I made this for the test.
files 2 & 3. epub made from RTF, Mobi made from epub. All perfect.

I then Deleted the epub and mobi files leaving the RTF and thus the settings in place

Then upgraded again to v8.27:
files 4 & 5, epub made from RTF and mobi made from epub. Mobi now has 2 sets of metadata.

Since I did an upgrade from 8.26 to 8.27 not a clean install and I did not remove the book in RTF format, it follows that the per book settings remained. thus it must be something in 8.27 which is causing this - or am I missing something?

I note the odd inclusion of the "-->" and "--", but you covered that in a previous thread, could this be connected?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Test Documents.zip (282.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, are you saying that converting an epub with a pre-existing jacket with the option set to include the jacket causes an extra jacket to be included?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
oldbwl
Zealot

Yes and that it never used to. And only from epub.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
oldbwl
Zealot

Here is the output from the two mobi files across the two versions using the same settings
V8.26
01 A TEST DOCUMENT
Dan Freedman
(2011)
Tags: Test, Fiction
This document was a simple Word RTF file to demonstrate that 0.8.27 adds the Metadata twice when converting from epub to mobi. the book cover demonstrates which version of Calibre was used to make the book
TEST DOCUMENT
BY
DAN FREEDMAN

v8.27
01 A TEST DOCUMENT
Dan Freedman
(2011)
Tags: Test, Fiction
-->
This document was a simple Word RTF file to demonstrate that 0.8.27 adds the Metadata twice when converting from epub to mobi. the book cover demonstrates which version of Calibre was used to make the book
01 A TEST DOCUMENT
Dan Freedman
(2011)
Tags:
Test, Fiction

TEST DOCUMENT
BY
DAN FREEDMAN

As you can see the metadata repeats in 8.27
Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah, yes, it is related to the --> (that bit is causing the old jacket detection to fail). The fix for --> will automatically fix this as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
oldbwl
Zealot

Thanks, I will advise after the next release if the issue remains.

Any chance you could add a page break at the end of the Mobi meta data so that it does not run straight in to the document?

Many thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

View the MOBI in the Kindle previewer, you will see the page breaks.