Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
vigna04
vigna04 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Anyone With Kindle Fire Also Have A Xoom??

Hey guys, any of you have the new Kindle Fire and also have a Motorola Xoom? Which one would you say is better?? I know the Xoom is more expensive but the Kindle Fire is looking pretty nice as well.

I'm kind of having buyer's remorse right now with my Xoom...
vigna04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
johnnyb
Addict
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone
Just a general suggestion, if you can get the Xoom for about 50-75 bucks more and don't rely/ don't want to rely heavily on Amazon services (ebooks are just the same every Android device), go for it...
Pros (imo): bigger screen with more pixels, same density (for PDFs), more flexible OS, more memory in the device, longer battery time...
Cons: heavier (about 300 grams), bigger overall, if small size is what you're looking for the Fire is probably the better choice... I myself have a Kindle for that...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2/DXG, FireHD 8.9, Nexus 7, 10, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have the Xoom 4G and would NOT want to be without it! I purchased it on launch day last February and have not enjoyed, or depended upon, a device more. (and I've got loads of gadgets).

That said, I pre-ordered the Fire when it was announced and waffled over my decision -- until it arrived and I had some time to use it. It's a keeper. They are both very different devices and have their uses. Many have already compared the pros and cons here. I find the Fire to be a great little device used for quick web surfing, email, video streaming and reading but it will never take the place of my Xoom or any full-sized/featured Android tablet.

Only you know what your needs/requirements are.

BTW, attempting to compare the Fire and its OS to that of Honeycomb & the Xoom is pointless.

Last edited by Skydog; 12-05-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd have to say that it depends on what you want out of it. They're different beasts. The Xoom is more for, what I'd estimate to be a "power" user. It has the ability to do more as it has more features and is bigger.

The Fire would be for more of a casual user. It can do MOST of the same things that the Xoom can, but it's constrained to the Amazon Marketplace (not a bad thing, really), is smaller (a plus to some), and is missing a few key tablet features.

Both are great devices, both have their uses, and both are worth having (to me).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote