Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
Current state of USB support on Yoshime?

Hey everybody. It's been..ages since I've done any kindle hacking whatsoever.

I just got a shiny new Voyage, which freed my paperwhite up for some exploratory hacking. My goal is to get enough of USB Host mode working to drive a USB keyboard.

I've gotten as far as a USB OTG cable with sideband power and a kernel compilation setup that lets me cross-compile mostly-working kernel modules for the native kernel on the yoshime.

But it's been a pretty long time since my kindle hacking days. It looks like a lot's changed for the better. There's a vibrant community of kindle hackers here and the paperwhite has a lot of nice goodies like a native X server and a richer local linux environment than the bad old days.

Am I looking at putting effort into something that's already been done or has been proven to be impossible?
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think that has been done yet. Kindle 4 had, I think, but that page seems currently offline: http://www.christian-hoff.com/?p=139
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I don't think that has been done yet. Kindle 4 had, I think, but that page seems currently offline: http://www.christian-hoff.com/?p=139
Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of dead links to Chris' site. It looks to be a very, very similar chipset on a similar kernel rev.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
Welcome back .

I can't remember on which device seaniko7 worked, and if he went anywhere near USB OTG, but that might be a potentially relevant search keyword.

Some of choff's stuff should also be there, even if his blog is down, or somebody might have a copy of some of his blog posts.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Psst, hey. They have this newfangled thing called web.archive.org around nowadays.

http://web.archive.org/web/201209181...off.com/?p=139

OTOH, it does referece some stuff in a git repository hosted on the guy's website, which, um, isn't archived.
Perhaps it can still be found somewhere...

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-28-2014 at 10:22 PM.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:18 AM   #6
jesse
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Psst, hey. They have this newfangled thing called web.archive.org around nowadays.

http://web.archive.org/web/201209181...off.com/?p=139

OTOH, it does referece some stuff in a git repository hosted on the guy's website, which, um, isn't archived.
Perhaps it can still be found somewhere...
Point.

It looks like that code made it onto github as a patchset here...at least mostly:

https://github.com/pepijndevos/kindl...7358f15a9bc792
Old 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
idoit
hub
idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idoit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
Point.

It looks like that code made it onto github as a patchset here...at least mostly:

https://github.com/pepijndevos/kindl...7358f15a9bc792
Everyone else, this is still available:
git clone "git://christian-hoff.com/kindle-4-kernel.git"
idoit is offline   Reply With Quote