Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
maxsassy
Member
maxsassy began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: ipad, kindle
Reading on the Kindle Fire?

I had ordered a Kindle Touch from Amazon but cancelled the order today because I like to read while my husband watches TV. I sit next to him and do my reading. Found out the Kindle Touch is not have a backlight but the Kindle Fire does. Do you think the books on the Fire will be as easy to read as the ones on the Touch? I have an iPad (1) but it gets so heavy I have to put it down for a little while before I can start reading again. Should I go ahead and order the Fire? I know in the sunlight it would be hard to read but I could always buy anti-glare screens and put on it.

Please someone help me make this decision.
maxsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,869
Karma: 7247148
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsassy View Post
I had ordered a Kindle Touch from Amazon but cancelled the order today because I like to read while my husband watches TV. I sit next to him and do my reading. Found out the Kindle Touch is not have a backlight but the Kindle Fire does. Do you think the books on the Fire will be as easy to read as the ones on the Touch? I have an iPad (1) but it gets so heavy I have to put it down for a little while before I can start reading again. Should I go ahead and order the Fire? I know in the sunlight it would be hard to read but I could always buy anti-glare screens and put on it.

Please someone help me make this decision.
The Fire sounds like a good choice if lighting isn't good where you want to read. Although you could also pick up the $79 Non Touch Kindle too that way you'd have the best of both worlds. The Kindle 4 NT makes a great travel reader because it's so small.

I wish I could read while mine watches TV. I am too annoyed by sounds to understand what I am reading.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jswinden's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,321
Karma: 6800246
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
It depends a lot on your eyes. Some people have trouble reading for extended periods on an LCD screen. Does the iPad bother you when reading for extended periods? If so you might have that problem with the KFire too, although the screen and text rendering on the KFire are probably going to be much better than they are on the iPad, at least in terms of reading. IPads are notorious for their fuzzy text--I've got one and I can confirm that text rendered on an iPad is really crappy compared to say a NookColor.

Another issue you mentioned is weight. Although lighter than the iPad 1, the KFire is still close to a pound, and that might still be too heavy for you.

You also mentioned reading outside. I don't think any LCD device can do that well. Some claim they can, but my experience is that they will be overcome with glare from sunlight. When it comes to reading in sunlight, E Ink devices rule.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-13-2011 at 01:32 PM.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,869
Karma: 7247148
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It depends a lot on your eyes. Some people have trouble reading for extended periods on an LCD screen. Does the iPad bother you when reading for extended periods? If so you might have that problem with the KFire too, although the screen and text rendering on the KFire are probably going to be much better than they are on the iPad, at least in terms of reading. IPads are notorious for their fuzzy text--I've got one and I can confirm that text rendered on an iPad is really crappy compared to say a NookColor.

Another issue you mentioned is weight. Although lighter than the iPad 1, the KFire is still close to a pound, and that might still be too heavy for you.

You also mentioned reading outside. I don't think any LCD device can do that well. Some claim they can, but my experience is that they will be overcome with glare from sunlight. When it comes to reading in sunlight, E Ink devices rule.
Agreed EInk rules! I had the Coby for which is 14.4 ounces for 8 hours and found it wonderful to hold. I didn't get any of the problems I had with my K3 when trying to hold it for long periods of time. The Fire is 14.6 ounces so it weights about the same but has a better form factor and it's the same size as a K3. So I imagine holding it will not be a problem for small hands.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others
 
Posts: 64
Karma: 2810
Join Date: Nov 2010
Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
On my iPad if I change the color to sepia and lower the brightness a bit I can read with no problem. I hope it's the same on the Fire.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 304
Karma: 1139862
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
On my iPad if I change the color to sepia and lower the brightness a bit I can read with no problem. I hope it's the same on the Fire.
on my phone and my ipad2 and my samsung galaxy tab and my ipod touch i have to turn the backlight down to roughtly 10-20% to read at night with sepia... reading the night time mode are just as painfull on the eys as a bright daytime mode screen,
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane
 
Jowi's Avatar
 
Posts: 81
Karma: 55274
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: WI
Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
on my phone and my ipad2 and my samsung galaxy tab and my ipod touch i have to turn the backlight down to roughtly 10-20% to read at night with sepia... reading the night time mode are just as painfull on the eys as a bright daytime mode screen,
Funny how different people like different things - I read using night mode exclusively - brightness down in the dark or up during the day. I love it and find it very easy on the eyes
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Katie1's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,199
Karma: 3296799
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WV---USA
Device: Kindle Fire HD, K3 WiFi 3G
On my Tablet Kindle for Android gives you 3 backgrounds white on black... Black on white & Sepia which with a little brightness adjusting is like eInk. So dont see at this point in time ... as know one has them yet .... the Fire wouldnt do the same thing.
Katie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
wallcraft's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,979
Karma: 5183568
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
On my Tablet Kindle for Android gives you 3 backgrounds white on black... Black on white & Sepia which with a little brightness adjusting is like eInk. So dont see at this point in time ... as know one has them yet .... the Fire wouldnt do the same thing.
The Fire has the same 3 background color options, see Setting Text Appearance
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,869
Karma: 7247148
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowi View Post
Funny how different people like different things - I read using night mode exclusively - brightness down in the dark or up during the day. I love it and find it very easy on the eyes
The white text really bothers me on the night theme. Maybe with a different font it will be better.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jswinden's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,321
Karma: 6800246
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The white text really bothers me on the night theme. Maybe with a different font it will be better.
There is a photography website www.dpreview.com I like but it has white text with black background and it gives me a headache to read it. Plus after reading it for a few minutes I see stripes in front of my eyes when I look around.

I read on PDAs for well over a decade. A lot of folks raved about how great night mode is with white text and black background, but I could never get it to work with my eyes. I still prefer black text and very low backlighting for low light reading on LCDs. For Android there is an app called Screen Filter which allows you to set the backlighting lower than the system allows and I use it a lot for reading apps that don't give enough backlighting control.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,869
Karma: 7247148
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
There is a photography website www.dpreview.com I like but it has white text with black background and it gives me a headache to read it. Plus after reading it for a few minutes I see stripes in front of my eyes when I look around.

I read on PDAs for well over a decade. A lot of folks raved about how great night mode is with white text and black background, but I could never get it to work with my eyes. I still prefer black text and very low backlighting for low light reading on LCDs. For Android there is an app called Screen Filter which allows you to set the backlighting lower than the system allows and I use it a lot for reading apps that don't give enough backlighting control.
Yep me too! I call them blinds though. It like horizontal slats.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
maxsassy
Member
maxsassy began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: ipad, kindle
I ordered the Kindle Fire for the reason I can read it in the dark because it is backlit. Now I am anxious to get it. Been getting my books ready to transfer over to it. Suppose I could have gone out to a store and bought one but decided to get it from Amazon.
maxsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane
 
Jowi's Avatar
 
Posts: 81
Karma: 55274
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: WI
Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
Well, I see what you all mean after reading on night mode on the Fire last night - when the text is bright I do not like night mode. Love it on my iPod, though. I tried the "sepia" and that I really liked, too.
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Blossom's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,869
Karma: 7247148
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowi View Post
Well, I see what you all mean after reading on night mode on the Fire last night - when the text is bright I do not like night mode. Love it on my iPod, though. I tried the "sepia" and that I really liked, too.
My problem with night mode is it's like looking in a mirror on the Fire. I can't read text words over my face! It's just weird.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kindle Fire in stores? easterncoyote Kindle Fire 23 11-15-2011 04:42 PM
Kindle Fire obsessed2 enTourage eDGe 42 10-31-2011 10:51 AM
Kindle Fire joshualintag Kindle Fire 10 10-29-2011 10:14 AM
Kindle Fire For Canada? grownupboy Kindle Fire 16 09-30-2011 12:11 AM
Mobile Mag reviews Rapid-Fire Reading for your cell StuBear News 2 07-29-2005 12:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.