Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
register my Kindle in the US or the UK?

I've just ordered a Kindle 4 from amazon.com, so it was automatically registered to my account there. I've seen on other threads that you can switch the registration from the US to the UK account. What are the particular advantages (or disadvantages) of doing that? What difference does it make? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm all new to e-readers. I live in Norway, if that's relevant.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I believe that there are more books available in the US store. If you can keep it registered in the US, I would do so.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, both of you. In that case I'll just keep it registered in the US for now.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
2debravas
2debravas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
I think the question is not where you register your kindle but where you live.

If you live outside the US , there´ll be a lot of apps and stuff unavailable for you...

I live in Spain , my kindle is registered in US and I´m missing a lot of things!! (including the possibility to buy the Amazon Fier tablet...)
2debravas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2debravas View Post
I think the question is not where you register your kindle but where you live.

If you live outside the US , there´ll be a lot of apps and stuff unavailable for you...

I live in Spain , my kindle is registered in US and I´m missing a lot of things!! (including the possibility to buy the Amazon Fier tablet...)
What are you missing out on exactly (apart from the K4Touch and Fire, I was eyeing up the latter, too )?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you are registered in the US and use a VPN blocker, you should be able to get all the apps for Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
truseva
truseva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3&4 KSO
You can download much, much more free e-books from Amazon.com (like hundres of pages in different genres), whether if your Kindle is registered in the UK, you get only 3 or 4 pages of free books in Amazon.com.
I did try both (I live in Europe too) and I found the US registration is much more useful for me. I "bought" so many books with a 5-star rating for $0, it's totally worth it.
truseva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
2debravas
2debravas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
What are you missing out on exactly (apart from the K4Touch and Fire, I was eyeing up the latter, too )?
Well , apart form the new kindles, you can´t have access to the kindle games , apps like Chess, calendar, etc.

You can only dream with the new Fire, ..... at least you at the US will have access in a week to the new models. Here in Europe, probably we will wait until spring......

2debravas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by truseva View Post
You can download much, much more free e-books from Amazon.com (like hundres of pages in different genres), whether if your Kindle is registered in the UK, you get only 3 or 4 pages of free books in Amazon.com.
I did try both (I live in Europe too) and I found the US registration is much more useful for me. I "bought" so many books with a 5-star rating for $0, it's totally worth it.
Thanks, truseva. This sounds very convincing, so then I'll definitely stay with the US version for now.

Quote:
Well , apart form the new kindles, you can´t have access to the kindle games , apps like Chess, calendar, etc.
Oh, I see - I didn't even know I could have those kind of apps on my kindle. But I didn't really buy the Kindle with that in mind, so I won't miss it, I don't think.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
truseva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Thanks, truseva. This sounds very convincing, so then I'll definitely stay with the US version for now.
I'm sorry jojoba, I think I might have misled you. I must add that my Amazon account is also with "USA" as a country of residence (even though I'm not actually living there, but hey there's no rule saying one must live in the USA). So I think actually this also matters a great deal when it comes to the free books Amazon.com offers.

Last edited by truseva; 11-12-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro
Quote:

You can only dream with the new Fire, ..... at least you at the US will have access in a week to the new models. Here in Europe, probably we will wait until spring......

It's vanishingly unlikely that the Fire will be launched outside the US in the spring, or at any other time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by truseva View Post
I'm sorry jojoba, I think I might have misled you. I must add that my Amazon account is also with "USA" as a country of residence (even though I'm not actually living there, but hey there's no rule saying one must live in the USA). So I think actually this also matters a great deal when it comes to the free books Amazon.com offers.
Oh, I see. I have an American shipping address registered with amazon (I've lived there for limited periods), but I don't know if that matters (the Kindle was shipped to my Norwegian address). I guess I'll just have a look at what's available.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
truseva

I think what matters is what your primary account address is (I have more than 5 different shipping addresses in USA&Europe registered with Amazon, including my home address in EU). I've associated my 1-click address with one of the USA addresses I'm using, but I don't know whether this counts. I poked around My account section, but didn't find anything else to define my USA "residence" that allows me to get tons of free books.
When my primary address was in Europe, I got quite poor selection.
The 1-click doesn't mean I cannot ship to another address of course as you know, I just have to be careful where I'm sending it
Old 11-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
jojoba
Addict

Aha. I actually don't know where my 'one-click' is associated, but the credit card I've registered is European. I'm going to log in a bit later and have a look around.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
truseva

My credit card is also European, as is the billing address it is associated with. I don't think that is a problem, I've successfully used it like it is.