Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
brentk
brentk began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Highlighting/Quoting

When I read a book I like to write down the quotations that strike me. For the time being I make a bookmark on my nook and then when I'm finished reading each book I go through all the bookmarks and type the quotes into notes (in Google Docs.)

With the new generation of touchscreen readers, are there any that would let me highlight passages and easily extract that text on my computer? Any that would work direct with Google Docs? (That's not a deal-breaker... although it'd probably be a deal-MAKER.)

I'm only interested in e-ink readers and not tablets. I already have a library of 1000 ePub books, although they are in calibre and I can easily convert if necessary.

Thanks for any advice.
brentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; iPad3, iPad Mini; Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
The SONY readers allow that. The last two generations (PRS350, 650, 950 and PRS-T1) all have touchscreens that are very responsive (previous touchscreens, on the PRSx00 series, were slower). You can use your fingers or stylus to highlight or annotated, or the on-screen keyboard to type notes.

Once you are done annotating, you can export your notes and highlights to an RTF file. Highlights will bear captions indicating the date/time and page number from which they originate.

Now, some disclaimers. For copyright-protected books, you can only export a limited number of characters for each highlight. I don't recall the exact number, but I think it is 100. Which is not much. For books without copyright, you can export, I believe, 2,000 characters per highlight.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote