Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Priscillux
Priscillux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Question Greek not displaying properly in Calibre-created epubs

Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone could help with the following issue: I have used the Fetch News facility available in Calibre to download news from Greek newspapers (currently Kathimerini and Ta Nea). Unfortunately, the accented characters display as strings of question marks, which makes the text very difficult to read. I've searched the forums here and have found that others report similar problems with Greek accented characters, however it seems to me that my problem is slightly different for the following reasons:

1) Accented characters in the Table of Contents display properly, the problem only affects accented characters in the article content.

2) Initially I thought that Greek fonts may not be supported by my eReader (Sony PRS-T1) because I had the same problem with an epub downloaded from the web. However, I was able to change fonts using the "Selected Font Type" option and found that all other font types available on the Sony apart from the 'original' (Amasis, Univers Next, etc.) display Greek accented characters properly. Unfortunately, this option is not available for Calibre-created news recipes.

3) There is no problem displaying accented Greek characters when browsing the Internet, which makes sense given that the text encoding method selected in the browser settings is UTF-8. I've checked the recipes in Advanced Mode (and also a few other recipes for Greek news posted by Stelios https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155396) and noticed that some select UTF-8, while others use Windows-1253 as their encoding method, however this makes no difference to the display of the characters.

I would very much appreciate some help here as I've spent hours researching the forum for answers but without any luck. I've tried the method described here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=61587&highlight=embed+fonts+sony but without any success (probably because I'm a complete newbie and cannot follow the steps to the end). I've also read posts about embedding fonts to the reader but I'm not sure that would solve the problem as I only have it with Calibre recipes.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Priscillux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open the news files in the calibre viewer. If they are correct then the files themselves are correct. In that case you have to find out how to get your SONY to display then with a greek font. I suspect the sony handles news files differently from other readers. One workaround is to set your output profile in calibre to something other than SONY (use generic 6 inch) and send thenews files to the device using save to disk rather than send to device (this will get the sony to treat them as regular files rather than periodicals).
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
Priscillux
Priscillux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi Kovid,

Thanks ever so much for your reply.

You're right: I've checked the Calibre files with the ebook viewer and the Greek characters display properly on my computer screen. So really, it's matter of getting the Sony to perceive the file as a book, not a periodical, in order to give me the extra font options. I have now been able to do this by saving the ePub file only (not the opf or the jpeg) onto the Reader; it's a tad fiddly because I have to manually copy the files after downloading them.

If I could change the default font from "original" to any of the other fonts that are available on the Sony and can handle Greek accented characters, I'd solve the issue, I guess. I'm going to search the forums and also Sony support to see if it can be done, and if so, I'll report back here.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Priscillux; 11-06-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Priscillux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
See any serbian recipe. They all contain sony specific css for fonts.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote