Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
blythburgh
blythburgh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle help needed please

I have been given a 2mg Kindle without a keyboard. Sorry I cannot be more specific. It was a birthday present and I want to download books from my local (British) Council library to it.

I could not work out how to do it from my library website so I contacted them. Unfortunately they are still not allowed by Amazon to make their 1,000+ books available to Kindle users. Only if I have a Smart phone or Ipad (or similiar) can I download, I have neither. But I can download ebooks to my computer. They will disappear after three weeks but that is fine as I do not want to keep the book only read it.

My Library website says I can download software and get these:

Adobe EPUB eBooks
Adobe PDF eBooks
OverDrive WMA Audiobooks
OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks

I am interested in ebooks downloaded to my computer and then transfered to the Kindle. Can I do this with the help of Calibre or has my present been a useless present to me?

My husband is loving it as he has downloaded some out of copyright and other free books but I want up to date books that are going to cost me far more than I can afford hence the use of my local library.

Thank you.
blythburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, you can't read library books on your Kindle, I'm afraid, unless you strip the DRM, and that's really not on when it comes to library books.

Hopefully Kindle library books will become available in the UK in the not too distant future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You can use your Kindle to read library books, but it involves a bit of work to do so. If library books are going to be your main use for your ereader, it would be easier if you can sell it/exchange it/swap it for something like the Sony PRS-T1. It can be used to read books from the library with ease.

Do a google search for apprentice alf's blog for a bit more info, but as HarryT says, you have to strip the DRM from the book to be able to read it on the Kindle. Also, before you even get to that stage, you need to download the required Adobe software from the library website, and use it to get the epub or pdf file from the actual file you download from the library.

It'd be far better to get another e-reader suited to the task you want to use it for.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 10-29-2011 at 08:03 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
You can use your Kindle to read library books, but it involves a bit of work to do so. If library books are going to be your main use for your ereader, it would be easier if you can sell it/exchange it/swap it for something like the Sony PRS-T1. It can be used to read books from the library with ease.

Do a google search for apprentice alf's blog for a bit more info, but as HarryT says, you have to strip the DRM from the book to be able to read it on the Kindle. Also, before you even get to that stage, you need to download the required Adobe software from the library website, and use it to get the epub or pdf file from the actual file you download from the library.

It'd be far better to get another e-reader suited to the task you want to use it for.
I agree. My main concern is that, while I'm sure most of us would agree that there's no problem with removing DRM from books that you've bought (and it's perfectly legal to do that in the UK), it's a whole different ball-game to strip DRM from library books. They are not your property and effectively by doing this you're stealing books from the library.

So yes, if library borrowing is your main reason for having a bookreader, get one which officially supports it, such as the Sony T1.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. My main concern is that, while I'm sure most of us would agree that there's no problem with removing DRM from books that you've bought (and it's perfectly legal to do that in the UK), it's a whole different ball-game to strip DRM from library books. They are not your property and effectively by doing this you're stealing books from the library.

So yes, if library borrowing is your main reason for having a bookreader, get one which officially supports it, such as the Sony T1.
To try to head this off from becoming yet another thread war concerning the ethics of drm stripping..... the other side of this argument is that you are simply converting the library e-book (that you have legally borrowed) into a format that can be read on your Kindle. As long as you delete the e-book at the end of the loan period you are not 'stealing' the book. Your own moral compass will have to guide you.
And yes, it is fairly easy to accomplish for the tech savy and challenged alike. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by GoSharks; 10-29-2011 at 09:35 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
And yes, it is fairly easy to accomplish for the tech savy and challenged alike.
But why do it at all if your primary purpose for having a reader is to read library books? Much less hassle to simply get a reader that will do the job directly in the first place, is it not?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
But why do it at all if your primary purpose for having a reader is to read library books? Much less hassle to simply get a reader that will do the job directly in the first place, is it not?
Because the Kindle is my preferred e-reader. If you do not have a preference, then absolutely get one that reads library e-books naturally.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The OPs Kindle was a gift... so I'm not sure this is an option.

But there are SO many free books out there without needing the library. Today's NY times best seller list isn't all there is to read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried a couple of library ebooks on my Kindle, as before buying it I was a regular visitor to my local library. I've deleted them straight after reading, but just won't be using this feature as much as I'd like until (hopefully) Kindle library borrowing comes to the UK.

I'm mainly reading free books at the moment (thankfully there's quite a number of them available!), but already have a wish list on Amazon, which I'll convert to a shopping list with my Christmas gift of an e-gift card. Maybe next year when I start to run out of books, along with the Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire etc, will come Kindle library borrowing.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
blythburgh
blythburgh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all the helpful advice. My husband seems to be happy with the Kindle. I will just have to save up hard and get the Sony for myself. If I can get one cheaply enough I will make it his Christmas present and he can keep my birthday present.

I would never download a library book and then mangle it so I could read it on Kindle and then keep it. To me that is stealing. In much the same way I consider copying other people's CD's or downloading music tracks from the internet without paying is the equivelant to shop lifting. I know many people disagree with me and I do not want to start an argument. In the same way as I refuse to argue face to face with people who consider it to be OK to do this with music. I find it odd that the people I personally know who do this and/or knowingly buy black market copies of films would be horrified it I suggested they remove a copy of the CD or DVD from a shop without paying. To them that would be shoplifting and wrong but what they are doing is OK as they are not physically taking an object. We just have to agree to differ and accept each others point of view.
blythburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You've made a wise decision there, I think.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

I think the Kobo would also be good for library use in the UK, which is slightly cheaper than the Sony PRS-T1. You should check out the Kobo & Sony forums if you're going to consider one of them.

In the meantime, while you are saving some cash, there are plenty of free ebooks available, not just old classics, check out http://uk.kinlib.com/ for links to the current freebies on Amazon. Plus, there's the stickie at the top of this forum "FREE (and bargain) books for the Kindle". By the time you've read your way through that lot, perhaps library borrowing will be available for the Kindle anyway. <fingers crossed>