Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
zzroger
zzroger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo & Kindle Touch
What Kindle model have I?

Hello all,
today the Kindle arrived. It's unpacked charged and working fine.
I have been browsing this forum reading all sorts of interesting things, but one thing is confusing. People talk about Kindle 1,2,3 & 4.
I looked in, on & under the box, in the basic manual and even used a magnifying glass to read the small stuff on the back of the device. I may have missed it, but, how do I know which one it is so that I can relate to the posts.
This one is dark grey, has a keyboard, is wi-fi and has total of 4 Gigs memory with 3 Gigs available for the user. Sorry if this has been asked before, but if so, I can't find the thread.

zzroger
zzroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Kindle 3
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast
fr0stbit3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen Basic
Hi! Welcome to the forum!

If you don't have a keyboard. You probably have a Kindle 4.
If you do have a keyboard. You have Kindle 1 2 or 3 (Left to right on in the pic)
fr0stbit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
What did it say before you clicked the BUY button?

My guess is it is a Kindle Keyboard with WIFI. Or do you have 3G as well? Before the new Kindle NT (non touch, also referred to as Kindle 4) the Kindle Keyboard was called Kindle 3.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzroger View Post
Hello all,
I have been browsing this forum reading all sorts of interesting things, but one thing is confusing. People talk about Kindle 1,2,3 & 4.
I looked in, on & under the box, in the basic manual and even used a magnifying glass to read the small stuff on the back of the device. I may have missed it, but, how do I know which one it is so that I can relate to the posts.
This one is dark grey, has a keyboard, is wi-fi and has total of 4 Gigs memory with 3 Gigs available for the user. Sorry if this has been asked before, but if so, I can't find the thread.

zzroger
which is your kindle

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...166807011_.jpg (kindle 4)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...166940343_.gif (kindle 3 wifi)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...V13662729_.jpg (kindle 1)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...156427402_.png (kindle 2)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...165387887_.png (kindle dx)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...192277688_.jpg (kindle dx)

choose it
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
zzroger

Well fellow forumers, thank you for your speedy replies, it is indeed the Kindle 3 as you have said.
No, no 3g. Oddly where I live there is no 3g, or indeed mobile phone coverage, so that one seemed a total waste. I have wi-fi on a satellite connection so that'll have to do.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Well fellow forumers, thank you for your speedy replies, it is indeed the Kindle 3 as you have said.
No, no 3g. Oddly where I live there is no 3g, or indeed mobile phone coverage, so that one seemed a total waste. I have wi-fi on a satellite connection so that'll have to do.
Wow....where are you?

(Gee...how far we've come in a few years from where wireless data was the stuff of science fiction, to where not having it makes it seem like you're living in a cave.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
zzroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Wow....where are you?

(Gee...how far we've come in a few years from where wireless data was the stuff of science fiction, to where not having it makes it seem like you're living in a cave.)
South East Queensland Australia, not far from a little town called Gatton that has mobile coverage, ADSL etc. you don't need to go far South of town to lose everything, real Tiger Country.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
... I have wi-fi on a satellite connection so that'll have to do.
When it comes down to it, WiFi is superior to 3g in every respect except reception area.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Just so you know, the Kindle 3 is currently called Kindle Keyboard at Amazon. You may see it referred to by either name on the forums. Amazon began offering it last year and decided to continue selling it (for now, anyway) along with the recently announced new Kindle (aka K4), Kindle Touch, and Kindle Fire models.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
We should probably make a Glossary of Kindle Terms for the forum.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
It certainly would make things easier if Amazon would number their Kindle models! When I first came here (last year), it took me a while to figure out which model I had. It is confusing for those recently introduced to Kindle.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
zzroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
It certainly would make things easier if Amazon would number their Kindle models! When I first came here (last year), it took me a while to figure out which model I had. It is confusing for those recently introduced to Kindle.
Well I am the living proof of the 'walking confused'. I really didn't know if I was Arthur or Martha with this Kindle. I read many, many posts in an effort to unconfuse myself fearing I would appear to be an idiot noob if I asked (I am a noob, I may be an idiot, but nice to have been taken seriously).
I remembered that I had read somewhere, where someone had posted a list of serial numbers and the models relating to them, damned if I could find it again though.
So, in short (can he ever be short?) I agree that a sticky post where we noobs can easily recognise our Kindle model would be great. The three pictures above were, for me, the clincher.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I was having a look at the Oberon covers earlier and noticed they had a handy page for making sure you identify the correct Kindle model before you buy a cover:

Oberon: Kindle models
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Version #

Quote:
Hello all,

zzroger
Press Menu / Settings. Then look at the bottom of your screen. The major version # indicates your Kindle hardware. Thus, my version is 3.3 and the major version # is a "3."

The major verion # corresponds to the Generation Number. I use the 3rd Generation.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-30-2011 at 09:08 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote