Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
readerSeb
Junior Member
readerSeb began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2011
Device: Kindle 3
Question Kindle 3G US usage in Europe

Hello,
I'm shure this question is asked a couple times but I'm searching for hours for the right answer Hope you guys can help me.

I'm currently living in the US, but going back to Europe after 6 month, and planning to buy an Amazon Kindle 3G.
Is it possible to use the US Kindle (with AT&T Sim) in Europe without getting charged fees for internet use?
What I've already read at the Amazon FAQ is, that if I buy a book with an US Kindle and they send it to me via Whispernet they'll charge fees (there is an account limit trick, but I haven't yet figured out how it works). But nothing else.

Thanks for helping me out!
Sebastian
readerSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
ikar
Member
ikar began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 13
Karma: 34
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by readerSeb View Post
Hello,
I'm shure this question is asked a couple times but I'm searching for hours for the right answer Hope you guys can help me.

I'm currently living in the US, but going back to Europe after 6 month, and planning to buy an Amazon Kindle 3G.
Is it possible to use the US Kindle (with AT&T Sim) in Europe without getting charged fees for internet use?
What I've already read at the Amazon FAQ is, that if I buy a book with an US Kindle and they send it to me via Whispernet they'll charge fees (there is an account limit trick, but I haven't yet figured out how it works). But nothing else.

Thanks for helping me out!
Sebastian
I have 3G US version B006 and I live in Europe. Everything works without any problems and is free. It's no difference if you are in US if in Europe.
Everything including web browsing. Kindle AT&T sim card has enabled worldwide roaming and it works with local cellullar operators.

Here are links to amazon information about it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...eId=200375590&
http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html#cellmaps_intl_tab

Last edited by ikar; 02-17-2011 at 04:53 AM.
ikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
readerSeb
Junior Member
readerSeb began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2011
Device: Kindle 3
That's what I wanted to hear

Thank you!
readerSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
l..k
Enthusiast
l..k began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 33
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2011
Device: k3
I have just bring with me B006 kindle with AT&T free 3G and it refuses to browse web in EU
I wonder if it is because of home country settings. Which EU countries works as home country? I am thinking of trying to set US as home country.
l..k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Gubtor
Junior Member
Gubtor began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2011
Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I work in a travel company and I got some problem with 3G/EDGE connection in U.S. Kindle (B006) .In Central and Eastern European countries (like Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic) browser worked perfectly but in Western European countries (like Germany, France) browsing didn't work - I always saw the message about "local restrictions" in browser.

Is there some way to get free internet for browsing in all European countries in my US Kindle?
Gubtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
shel
Member
shel is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 74
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern France or PNW USA
Device: Kindle 3
Just as a data point ... two months ago, when I arrived in France, my US Kindle 3 would not browse the Web via 3G. Now it does. I've made no changes that would affect this, so I assume it's some silent change of policy on Amazon's part.

-Shel
shel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
fotoguy42
Junior Member
fotoguy42 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2011
Device: Kindle 3
So, Shel,
Has Amazon charged you any extra fees for using the web browser outside the US?

Thanks,
--Todd
fotoguy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Polyphemus's Avatar
 
Posts: 131
Karma: 1076578
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California
Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I've been in Spain for the past several weeks and have had no problems with 3G or with the hotel's wifi. I received the following when I first turned on the wireless in Europe:

"Important Reminder About International Delivery Fees

You can get books wirelessly in less than 60 seconds while traveling in over 100 countries. You can also stay in touch with news from home by having your newspaper, magazine, and blog subscriptions delivered wirelessly to your Kindle while you are abroad.

Additional fees apply for receiving some items using 3G wireless outside the U.S.:
For subscriptions, you can continue to receive all of your newspapers, magazines, and blogs via Whispernet 3G wireless for a weekly fee of $4.99. If you have subscriptions you will receive more details on this optional service in a separate letter on your Kindle when you travel outside the U.S.
For personal documents delivered to your Kindle via Whispernet 3G wireless while outside the U.S., the fee is $.99 per megabyte, rounded up to the next whole megabyte.

These additional fees do not apply when receiving these items via Wi-Fi. If your Kindle does not have Wi-Fi, you may also download these items to your computer at no additional charge and transfer them to your Kindle using USB.

There is no charge to use Whispernet 3G wireless outside the U.S. to receive books, receive single periodical issues, access archived items, browse the Kindle store, or use the experimental web browser."

Hope this helps!
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
shel
Member
shel is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 74
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern France or PNW USA
Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoguy42 View Post
So, Shel,
Has Amazon charged you any extra fees for using the web browser outside the US?
Not that I can tell.

-Shel
shel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Somethingorother
Junior Member
Somethingorother began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2011
Device: Kindle
Hi folks,

I purchased a Kindle 3G in the US in September. I live in Germany.

The Internet worked fine in the US and in Canada, but it doesnít work in Germany or Austria (the two European countries in which Iíve tried it). The 3G symbol appears, and I can access the Kindle store, but not the Internet.

Iíve spoken with Amazon USís customer service, and they couldnít explain why it doesnít work. They told me to contact amazon.deís customer service, which informed me that only the Kindle store and Wikipedia are accessible via 3G in Germany. They also pointed me to a link from amazon.co.uk that lists the countries in which Internet surfing is possible: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...wsingcountries

As you can see, most of Western Europe is not on the list.

I havenít been able to find an equivalent page on amazon.comís website.
Somethingorother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Daveoc64
Zealot
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos
 
Posts: 145
Karma: 21142
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bristol, UK
Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingorother View Post
Iíve spoken with Amazon USís customer service, and they couldnít explain why it doesnít work. They told me to contact amazon.deís customer service, which informed me that only the Kindle store and Wikipedia are accessible via 3G in Germany. They also pointed me to a link from amazon.co.uk that lists the countries in which Internet surfing is possible: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...wsingcountries

As you can see, most of Western Europe is not on the list.

I havenít been able to find an equivalent page on amazon.comís website.
That list is wrong (a lot more countries than that work) and should only apply to UK Kindles (because they have a Vodafone SIM in them - unlike the US Kindles with an AT&T SIM).
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Chi Cygni
99% lurking mode
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Chi Cygni's Avatar
 
Posts: 678
Karma: 5430463
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Device: Paperwhite, ASUS MeMo FHD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingorother View Post
Hi folks,

I purchased a Kindle 3G in the US in September. I live in Germany.

The Internet worked fine in the US and in Canada, but it doesnít work in Germany or Austria (the two European countries in which Iíve tried it). The 3G symbol appears, and I can access the Kindle store, but not the Internet.

Iíve spoken with Amazon USís customer service, and they couldnít explain why it doesnít work. They told me to contact amazon.deís customer service, which informed me that only the Kindle store and Wikipedia are accessible via 3G in Germany. They also pointed me to a link from amazon.co.uk that lists the countries in which Internet surfing is possible: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...wsingcountries

As you can see, most of Western Europe is not on the list.

I havenít been able to find an equivalent page on amazon.comís website.
This is very strange. This summer I was crossing Germany by car (in August) and 3G worked in the middle of traffic jam on some highway. Where it didn't work was Belgium where I usually use it.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #13
kimichen
Gadget Lover
kimichen began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: Kindle
I'm in Germany but my Kindle, bought in the UK, is registered in Australia and it works fine in Germany. When I registered it in Germany, then surfing was not available. I've never had any messages re extra charges. I suggest that if you have an address in any of the countries listed as OK for surfing, then to register it there.
kimichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
Somethingorother
Junior Member
Somethingorother began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2011
Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimichen View Post
I'm in Germany but my Kindle, bought in the UK, is registered in Australia and it works fine in Germany. When I registered it in Germany, then surfing was not available. I've never had any messages re extra charges. I suggest that if you have an address in any of the countries listed as OK for surfing, then to register it there.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It worked as soon as I registered it to an address in a country that's on the list.
Somethingorother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
kimichen
Gadget Lover
kimichen began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: Kindle
Glad to be of help. Happy surfing!
kimichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I buy a Kindle 3 in the U.S. or from Europe? amurricanabroad Amazon Kindle 35 09-02-2012 12:44 PM
I want to add Calibre Plugboard usage to the Kindle Visual Guide... daffy4u Amazon Kindle 19 12-19-2010 05:31 PM
Does Kindle 2 work in Europe John Connolly Amazon Kindle 39 11-08-2010 04:33 AM
where to buy Kindle DX in Europe? kaileslie Which one should I buy? 6 11-08-2009 05:41 PM
Kindle in Europe Luigino Amazon Kindle 6 06-17-2009 04:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.