Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Books & Comics for a Ten-Year-Old?

I'm planning to give my nephew a netbook for birthday/Xmas (hopefully he'll forgive me combining them given the nature of the gift), and among other things I want to start him on ebooks, and he already frequently borrows my tablet for comics.

Does anyone have recommendations for his age group? Much of my collection isn't all that appropriate to his maturity or reading level (which, AFAIK, is right at his grade level, neither behind nor advanced).

I know he likes D&D-style fantasy, and he likes the Wimpy Kid series.

I'll try to include some of my own favorites from around that time like Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and a book called Born into Light. Are there any current series along the lines of Encyclopedia Brown or the Mad Scientists Club? I suppose I'll get Harry Potter in there.

Any recommendations? Maybe I'll get some Heinlein juveniles and the Irish Red series in there, too.

I'm also interested in current comics (manga's cool, too) aimed at his age group.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
when i was around that age the original Dragonlance trilogy was my life: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning.

i also thought the classics like War of the Worlds, The Time Machine and 20,000 Leagues were the bees knees.

stuff like Harry Potter would probably also be appropriate.

i'm sure somebody with kids will be along with better suggestions lol.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
tswan
tswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-T1
My son has been reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series by Rick Riordan for several years now. For a while they were the only books I could get him to read. They're fun books.
tswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Dragonlance books are probably beyond his current attention span (ADD is in the picture, but I was an advanced reader and probably couldn't have stuck with those books at age 10). Wells and Verne are great suggestions, though. I'll probably load him up with sci-fi short stories (most of Wells' books are novellas by today's standards).
Old 10-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
maybe even stuff like Asimov's I, Robot and other various works. every kid likes robots lol and theyre also short stories.

Ray Bradbury stuff may also be worth looking into, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Martian Chronicles, stuff like that.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
There are a number of Discworld novels aimed at kids. Well, 5:

Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents
A Hat Full of Sky
Wee Free Men
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior

If anyone has some non-sci-fi recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Current comics for kids would be great, too. I was hoping some parents would chime in.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
stxopher
Nameless Being

Some of the more popular ones for the kinder around that age around here(varies of course, check yourself)...

Series:
Fablehaven
Pendragon (the D.J. MacHale one, not the classic.)
Eric Rex
Book of Magics (real like/hate dichotomy there for kids)
Young Wizards (more popular with girls than boys here though)
Redwall (everyone likes fighting mice!)
The Librarian (Little Boy Lost is the first book but popular. Not sure how a non-reader will enjoy it though. Still, right now the first one is free so you can make a quick judgement.)

Comics:
Mouse Guard
Bone
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior

I haven't heard of any of those books, so I'll be sure to check them out. Bone was already on the comics list

It's looking like it'll be all older comics, except for the Franklin Richards, Boy Genius stories, which were written by a buddy of mine for a while in the aughts.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander series should please him. I thought they were great.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander series should please him. I thought they were great.
I might check that one out myself

Another set I found indirectly by way of these recommendations was the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan.

I couldn't find word one on this series - all I got were the Vertigo comics:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Book of Magics (real like/hate dichotomy there for kids)
Also, I'm leaning heavily on series at this point and would love some individual, even *gasp* non-genre recommendations, as well as nonfiction. I'd like to get some good mythology books in there.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I used to like the Redwall books by Brian Jacques.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Also, I'm leaning heavily on series at this point and would love some individual, even *gasp* non-genre recommendations, as well as nonfiction. I'd like to get some good mythology books in there.
Lloyd Alexander's classic "Chronicles of Prydain" tells a complete story arc in 5 readable-standalone linked novels (plus a book of short stories) and has a pretty good grounding in Welsh mythology. They're all available in Kindle versions, at least, and the early books are kind of D&D-adventurish.

When I was a kid I really liked reading Bernard Evslin's books about the Greek and Roman myths (published by Scholastic) from the library. They get reprinted every so often in paper, but it doesn't look like they're available as e-books yet.

Unfortunately the two major comics I could give you for Greek mythology (Shanower's Age of Bronze and Messner-Loeb's Epicurus the Sage; both very good indeed) would probably be considered above the age-appropriate level simply for the mostly non-sexual nudity involved. There is a comic book series aimed for younger readers as an intro to the Greek gods: The Olympians, by George O'Connor, which I've read the Athena volume of from the library. It looked like it was aimed at an older pre-teen slot (which was where the library filed it) and seemed a pretty nifty cartoony retelling. And there's always the Adventures of Asterix and Obelix, which are an awesome way to introduce Rome circa Julius Caesar to any age group.

For Japanese myths and legends and (pseudo)history, Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo comics are very good and highly recommended and truly all-ages. There isn't much in the way of overt sex or violence in the storylines so that older kids couldn't read it (allowing for the fact that it is about a masterless samurai rabbit in a land at unrest, that is) and Sakai really does the research to incorporate reasonably accurately depicted myth and history (allowing for the samurai rabbit thing).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
LynnaMerrill
SF/F writer, programmer
LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud: "The Amulet of Samarkand," "The Golem's Eye," "Ptolemy's Gate."

These are books about a boy wizard living in an alternative version of London. I have the paper books, though. I don't see e-books on Amazon or Barnes & Noble, so I am not sure where you can buy them.

Last edited by LynnaMerrill; 11-17-2011 at 12:59 AM.
LynnaMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:21 AM   #15
Xoanon
Enthusiast
Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A someone mentioned above, the Percy Jackson books are a fun read. Charlie Higson's Young Bond novels and the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz are both popular with your nephews age group.

The Young Samurai series by Chris Bradford is a fun historical adventure series. Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy is another humorous fantasy series similar to Harry Potter.
Xoanon is offline   Reply With Quote