Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
harpangel36
Connoisseur
harpangel36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Please Help with Update!

I hope someone can help me! My Kindle 3G-wi-fi has 3.1 software running on it. It also has the screensaver hack. When I plugged my Kindle into my computer to transfer the 3.3 update, a message came up from a program I have called "Clean My Mac" that said "your kindle has some files that are not being used, do you want to delete them?" I chose "yes". Then dragged over the update and received a message that the software update was unsuccessful.
My husband's kindle has the same screensaver hacks and his updated fine, but I didn't empty the kindle of the "unused items".
I called Amazon, and they said it probably had to do with the screensaver hack but they would have someone review it in a few days. I would like to fix it myself. Should I get rid if the hack and do a factory reset? Is there a drawback to that?

Last edited by harpangel36; 10-25-2011 at 11:07 PM.
harpangel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
misling
Connoisseur
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The main drawback to a factory reset is that you have to re-download your books & games.
I have done a factory reset before, but I don't run any hacks, so maybe somebody with more expertise with that will come along and comment.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro - Retired:Kindle 3, Clie UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpangel36 View Post
...Then dragged over the update and received a message that the software update was unsuccessful.
My husband's kindle has the same screensaver hacks and his updated fine, but I didn't empty the kindle of the "unused items". ...:
Based on my experience, the update will fail if your Kindle is in the process of indexing a book. If you have recently downloaded a book that your Kindle hasn't finished indexing or if the Clean My Mac's deletions triggered a re-index the update will fail.

Check to see if there is any background indexing in progress (search for a non-findable string such as "qqqkkkqqq" and see if the response states that there are any unindexed items) and only update when there are none.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote