Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
4GB SD card (not SDHC) for 505

has anyone try to use a 4GB SD card on their prs505 yet?

I wonder if it will work.
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It won't, the SD is limited to 2 GB, but you can get 8GB on a MS, and if you use both, that's 10 GB altogether.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
I use the 4gb SD card that I used in my 500 without any problems. It is not HD. The 505 shows it as 4gb.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe there's any such beast as a "non HC" 4GB card. Above 2GB all SD cards are SDHC, to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, the Reader will show your card as 4GB, but I'm certain you'll find (as many others have) that you won't be able to access more than 2GB of data on it. Any files that you add to the card above 2GB simply won't show up. Try it and see.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #5
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe there's any such beast as a "non HC" 4GB card. Above 2GB all SD cards are SDHC, to the best of my knowledge.

That's incorrect. Transcend has a 4GB non-SDHC card. THe 500 can read and write that up till 2GB.
If you put an SDHC-card in the 500, it won't be found.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, reading the Wikipedia article on SD cards, I see that you are correct. It appears that the original SD standard is only "truly" standard up to a size of 1GB. Various manufacturers have "extended" the standard to support 2GB and 4GB cards, but done so in different ways that different devices may or may not recognise. The SDHC standard is again a true standard, theoretically supporting capacities up to 2TB, but as yet relatively few devices support SDHC - the Reader does not.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #7
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The SDHC standard is again a true standard, theoretically supporting capacities up to 2TB, but as yet relatively few devices support SDHC - the Reader does not.
Not true. The Nokia N800 and the new N810 do, along with several digital cameras. Even the cheapie multi-card reader I bought several months ago supports SDHC The SDHC spec has been around long enough that Sony could have incorporated it into the 550. I think it was rather dumb of Sony to release a new reader without SDHC support. The only reason I can think of for doing this is that having SDHC would have greatly lessened the use for a Memory Stick, which Sony owns the patents on. I'd rather have something like SD, SDHC or CF, which is more widely supported.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's certainly true in the devices that I own. My Sony Reader, iRex iLiad, iPaq Pocket PC, Garmin GPS, Canon camera - all have SD slots, but none support the SDHC standard. I'm sure that there are lots of devices that do support it, but if that is the case I seem to have a talent for buying ones which do not .
Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #9
JohnP
Enthusiast
JohnP began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs505
Heh, Watch out tho. Try stuffing even a 2GB card in the 505 full of books. It will take a good 10 MINUTES to sort them once you unplug the USB cable. Then you have to wade through your huge list of books to find the one you want. Stick with smaller cards and just get a few of them for specific topics.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Heh, Watch out tho. Try stuffing even a 2GB card in the 505 full of books. It will take a good 10 MINUTES to sort them once you unplug the USB cable. Then you have to wade through your huge list of books to find the one you want. Stick with smaller cards and just get a few of them for specific topics.
I'm pretty sure the 500-trick will work on the 505 too.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Using Ebook Library does work better then a card reader. Ebook Library preformats the book and setup up all the stuff that needs setting up. So when the Reader goes to look at the memory card, it takes a lot less time to start out the contents then it would if the Reader itself has to do the work. And overall it's a lot faster for your computer to do the work then the Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Does the Reader slow down significantly if you load a ton of books on it (other than the initial write to media.xml and cache.xml)? I've order an 8 gig card and I'd like to keep all of my books on it if possible.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never tired 8gigs of books at one time. But with 313 books, it's not slow.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
I have a Sony 1 gig and a SD 2 gig in the 505. I have 2122 books stored. It took over 20 minutes for the initial sorting but now it access's the books fairly quickly.
Do I need all those books on two cards, nope, but I put them on there to kind of push the limit, and I have not found it yet. I travel internationally and I am an avid reader so I don't like getting caught with out plenty of material while on those long plane rides and waits in the terminals.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you had put the book on the memory card using Ebook Library, then you would not have had to wait 20 min for the 505 to set things up.