Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Anybody else love reading bad reviews?

whether they're funny, bad or just plain sad (in the facepalm sense) i love reading bad reviews and i figure i can't be the only one who enjoys them.

i just came across this pearl of wisdom on amazon-

"Ms XXX, just wanted you to know that I really enjoy your books. I haven't read all of them yet, but I'm working on it. I just read F's comment and it really disturbs me that this arrogant bag of air has the audacity to criticize your book. (you weren't holding a gun to his head to make him finish it, were you?) His opinion means nothing to anyone but himself. He is a self-important person that tries to put people down to make himself look good and ends up looking like a jackass. Keep writing - your fans love you - errors and all. He will be doing you a favor if he never picks up another of your books."

i couldn't let this genius go without a response, which was-

"Audacity to criticize"? Ummmm....you do understand the purpose of reviews,right?"

(plus supporting authors who don't bother to edit or correct their work absolutely harms customers. i wouldn't pee money away on authors who seemingly publish their first draft. but i digress).

my question has always been what such clueless and ill informed people are doing reading. how do you not know what the purpose of a review is? what do you think the "review" section is for? another hobby might be more their speed.

anybody else enjoying reading/responding to those head scratching reviews that seem to plague every product?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Bad reviews are the best! They are the first ones I look for, on Amazon and on Yelp!
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, Nook Glow, PB Touch Lux 623
I like to read honest reviews of bad books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4S, Nook STR
This is not about books, but I absolutely love going on Tripadvisor and reading about the worst hotels in the world.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Assorted Nooks
I always check out a couple of 1-2 star reviews when I'm curious about a book. Not for the pleasure of reading the reviews, but because I want to know WHAT about a book makes people dislike it. I know what kind of things I want/don't want in books and I can get an idea if these things are present/not present in the book.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I like it when the author responds to a bad review! That always goes terribly awry and I love it! I had a very funny example of this but it looks like all the comments got deleted.

I agree with Asawi, though, I seek out the bad reviews because that's valuable information.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage 3G; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I like it when the author responds to a bad review! That always goes terribly awry and I love it! I had a very funny example of this but it looks like all the comments got deleted.

I agree with Asawi, though, I seek out the bad reviews because that's valuable information.

eP
The best group of reviews to check out are for a political book. Exactly 50% love it and can see no errors; the other 50% hate it and can see no good points.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
The best group of reviews to check out are for a political book. Exactly 50% love it and can see no errors; the other 50% hate it and can see no good points.
Agreed. But to expand on that a bit, any book regarding politics, religion or opinion will generate a wide range of responses. I've seen some outstanding books rated very poorly because of profanity used or subject matter. Take a look at the banned book lists for a good example of knee-jerk reactions to style and detail as opposed to content. In the U.S., conservatives will often rate Obama's book poorly while liberals will denigrate Bush's writing. Any book that challenges religious thought will get high marks from liberals and low marks from fundamentalists.

In choosing what books to read, I rely on recommendations from people I know and trust with honest opinions. I also pick several low ratings when looking on Amazon or Goodreads and find most of them due to clear reviewer bias, which is helpful.

On the other side of that coin, I have given very few poor reviews because I'm not an impulse buyer. I pick my reading material carefully, avoiding things I don't want to spend time on - vampires, YA, zombies, political opinion and religious dogma. So I read them but seldom have to write them. That's not to say there aren't good books there, but I just don't have time to find out. A steady diet of highly rated books keeps me from having to deal with explaining to an author what I didn't like about his/her work. And I usually write a condensed paragraph review of my reaction to all books I read on Goodreads and LibraryThing, and often on Amazon if the book is in their listings.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
They're the first I look at . On Amazon, Android App Market et cetera
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I also read the bad reviews first, preferably the most critical ones, to see how bad the product could be. It's sad for the creator of the product when the most critical review is from a person who obviously don't know anything.

Also, critical reviews tend to be more honest than favourable reviews, because these are sometimes written by somebody trying to convince himself that he has no buyer's remorse. Unfortunately having such remorse is frequent.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I always check out a couple of 1-2 star reviews when I'm curious about a book. Not for the pleasure of reading the reviews, but because I want to know WHAT about a book makes people dislike it. I know what kind of things I want/don't want in books and I can get an idea if these things are present/not present in the book.

I read them first.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I love reading bad reviews and always go there first. Not just for books (although those are the most entertaining), but for everything.

I just skim through the logical ones in search of the funny ones. Many of the non-book bad reviews have nothing to do with the product. Those are the best.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; BBMini; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8
I usually read one "positive" reviews and any "negative" review I can find. People will give the stupidest reasons why don't like a product!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfoldedKubizo reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
In Italy there's a movie critic named Alessio Guzzano. His reviews are always pretty negative (every movie is a set of cliché according to him - not that he's wrong, but he says it really harshly), but he uses such great metaphors that he really tells you what watching the movie feels like without spoiling the surprise. I always read his masterpieces. For Italian (or Spanish) speakers:

http://www.alessioguzzano.com/

Ciao!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
I gave up on reviews when someone gave Slaughterhouse Five one star because they didn't like that the timeline jumps around.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote