Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
period3
period3 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
ereader without tracking

I'm looking to get an ereader soon, but I'm not intersted in buying one that's constantly squawking to the mothership about what books I'm reading, what I'm clicking, etc.

I don't plan on purchasing any e-books, as there are plenty of free ones available. I don't plan on using any of the networking capabilities. I would prefer one that works without any sort of online activation. I understand an online activation might be necessary to purchase books, but as I said I don't plan on purchasing books. I will transfer books from my computer to the device, using Calibre to convert to whatever format the device needs.

I use Linux at work and Windows at home, and ideally the device would work with both.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
period3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
a PocketBook device or perhaps the upcoming Bookeen
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Welcome, period3!

I recall seeing someone post that he simply kept his Kindle's wireless turned off because, like you, he didn't want Amazon recording his device's contents. B&N's Nook also plays big brother. If you're content to live w/o wireless, then it's really a non-issue for you. Get whichever device appeals to you, and don't use the wireless.

My purchases have mainly been from Amazon and Barnes & Noble. At both stores, connection by your device is unnecessary. I imagine that holds true anywhere you go. You can download the file from the store to you computer, and from your computer to your device (via USB).

Lots and lots of threads here about choosing an e-reader.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
A deregistered kindle?

Edit: What Kevin8or said.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Any of the e-readers would work for you. Just don't register the e-reader and don't turn on the WiFI.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
period3
period3 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Great, thanks, I mostly wasn't sure about the registration requirement. I read somewhere the kindle asks you to register as soon as you first turn it on, but I wasn't sure if it was actually required.

I'll probably end up with either a kindle or kobo, since they're the easiest to find...
period3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kindle might ask you to register but you don't have to. You will not be able to use collections if you do not register. If collections are important to you, you can register and then never turn on Whispernet again.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Perhaps one of the Sony PRS-x50? No wi-fi or 3G, doesn't need to be registered for any of the functions to work (aside from Adobe DRM support obviously but you won't be needing that) and it works very well with Calibre (including collections, etc).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I dig my Kobo Touch. You do need to set it up to get the firmware updated, but it doesn't require you to input any personal info.

So I downloaded the desktop software, set it up, and then uninstalled it. From there on out, I have used my Kobo Touch exclusively with Calibre (also a Linux user!), with wifi off (airplane mode) pretty much all the time. I haven't touched Kobo Desktop since I did the set-up.

When there's a firmware update, I check out what's on offer. If there's something I want, I turn on wifi and download it. If there isn't, I don't. I suppose if I were really concerned, I could have all my books on a microSD card, and just pop out the card when I wanted to update, so that none of my personal books were on the device while wifi was on.

As the others said, while some readers do require some sort of online set-up to get updated like the Kobo, you don't necessarily have to use their program or give them any personal info.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
An Onyx device would be good.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Any of their 6 inch devices any way. at this point.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote