Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Mr Fujisawa
Mr Fujisawa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Buy iTunes books and put on Reader?

Hi guys, hope this is the right subforum.

Pretending DRM doesn't exist, is there any issue in buying books from iTunes and then putting them on the Sony Reader? I ask because, sometimes iTunes has the books cheaper, and often they'll have a cover unlike buying from someone else, like Waterstones. Just wondering if there's any weird formatting issues i should be aware of.

Thanks
Mr Fujisawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle PW2, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm reasonably sure no one has cracked the iBooks DRM yet. So, if you want to buy it and pretend you are reading it, go ahead.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Mr Fujisawa
Mr Fujisawa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'm reasonably sure no one has cracked the iBooks DRM yet. So, if you want to buy it and pretend you are reading it, go ahead.
I assumed it used the same DRM as everyone else, damn.

Now if I could just get digital editions to detect my T1 I could buy from someone else.
Mr Fujisawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Calibre and Apprentice Alf.

Enjoy
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Calibre and Apprentice Alf.

Enjoy
As far as I know this will not help as posted by Pidgeon62 there is no crack for itunes books. I would love to be wrong on this so if anyone knows better please PM me
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 , Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
As far as I know this will not help as posted by Pidgeon62 there is no crack for itunes books.
can only be due to lack of motivation in hackerland - itunes music has been cracked for years!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
can only be due to lack of motivation in hackerland - itunes music has been cracked for years!
Very few people bother with the iBookstore. Its selection is pretty poor, and, as has been said, it ties you to the iBooks app. It's much better to buy from elsewhere, remove the DRM, and then read in iBooks should that be your app of choice (and it is a nice reading app - on the iPad, at least).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
The DRM on iBooks is the same DRM as used on movies (and formerly music).

Apple has been much better at the DRM cat/mouse game than other companies have been. One rumor was that the labels were allowed to pull their catalogs if the DRM remained unpatched for a certain period of time. So the hacked version of Fairplay is nothing like Fairplay today.

With Apple and others moving to DRM-free music in their stores, and movies primarily being rentals/streaming, the pressure to keep Fairplay cracked has lessened. Especially when there are easier targets if your goal is to strip DRM from an ePub.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Xoom, Kindle PW, iPad3, Fire HD2
The other thing is that at least a certain percentage of books in iBookstore rely on specific features of iBooks, which aren't found on other reading platforms. So even if you could strip the DRM, you might have something that would not render correctly on another reading system.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-20-2011 at 03:05 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote