Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
corpcd
Enthusiast
corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.

Device: K3, KT
Changing eReader

Hi:

I have a silly question:

I'm planning on replacing my KK with a KT when its released.

If I do so, what will happen with my protected Kindle books? Can I simply move them from one device to the other?

I have never think on this issue, to be honest...
corpcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If you downloaded the books from your Amazon Kindle archives to your kindle 3 (the kindle keyboard) then they are drm'd to open only on that particular Kindle. You will need to re-download your books.

If you downloaded to your computer and used the Calibre plug-in tools to remove the DRM, then you can mass move them from Calibre to the new Kindle.

You can transfer your Collections (just the Collection names and what belongs in them, not the actual eBooks) from one Kindle to a new Kindle.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Ghost Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcd View Post
I have a silly question:

I'm planning on replacing my KK with a KT when its released.

If I do so, what will happen with my protected Kindle books? Can I simply move them from one device to the other?

I have never think on this issue, to be honest...
For most of your books, you'll just be able to re-download them from the archive at Amazon.

I have heard that this doesn't apply to magazine subscriptions. There you may only be able to re-download the last six issues or something.

What you won't be able to do is just copy your books from one device to another yourself, as most of the books will have DRM to prevent you doing this. You can copy the files, but they won't open on the new device. By re-downloading from Amazon to your new device, the DRM on the new copy is set for the new device.

It may or may not be technically illegal where you live, but it is possible to remove the DRM from Kindle ebooks. Once the DRM has been removed, the same file will work on all your Kindles, and can even be converted to other file formats in case you ever change to a non-Kindle device.

Personally, I remove the DRM from all the ebooks I buy, as soon as I've downloaded them. If you want to do the same, you'll need to google for Apprentice Alf's blog, as it's against MobileRead's policy to give explicit help on how to remove DRM.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International
I guess it is as easy as registering your new Kindle to your account. Then download all your purchases to the new one.
Then, if you want to sell your old Kindle, deregister it from your account, delete all contents on your old Kindle and sell it or give it away (or burn it or dispose of in any way you choose).
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
corpcd
Enthusiast
corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.

Hey,

Thanks for both quick replies.

Up to now, I've been sending the eBooks right from my amazon account to the device (KK) itself.

But as far as I am able to send the books to any other registered device there will be no problems.

Thanks

Last edited by corpcd; 10-13-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro, Kindle 3/WiFi - Retired:Clie UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcd View Post
But as far as I am able to send the books to any other registered device there will be no problems...
You can't download the books to "any other registered device". You can only download them to a device (or Kindle app) that is registered to the same Kindle account. As long as your new device is registered to the same account as your original device you'll have no problems with any book bought through that account.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
corpcd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
You can't download the books to "any other registered device". You can only download them to a device (or Kindle app) that is registered to the same Kindle account. As long as your new device is registered to the same account as your original device you'll have no problems with any book bought through that account.
If I say "I can download them to any other registered device", I mean:

"I can download them <from my account (1)> to any other registered <to my account (2)> device"

(1) If I am not logged on my account I cant download/send anything to anywhere.
(2) If the device is not registered to my account it is impossible to send anything since it does not appear in the "devices list" when I click the send button.

So it is quite understandable in the context what i meant.

Or maybe it is a matter of language, my english can be impossible to understand sometimes (or most of the times).