Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 05:02 AM   #346
LinuxReader
LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
rashkae -- sounds like he used his brain and figured out it works internally!
I would love to take the credit, but...

Quote:
nice work LinuxReader, maybe this will help the rooting community to come up with more universal/cross platform ways to apply updated rooted firmware packages.
Actually the boot's on the other foot: it was the rooting community that gave me the idea of doing a standard firmware update this way.

See the section titled "Installation without MS Windows" from http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D21458

I just modified the procedure slightly to avoid the non-standard rooting files and just use Sony's original firmware...
LinuxReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #347
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAJ View Post
Thanks Linuxreader, I'll try your update method next time. I used a mates windows box this time round and updated the firmware but it made no difference. Hopefully, Sony will get their act together and allow updates directly from the device in the future eh.

I did try vBox with an old XP VM but had trouble getting the USB device to see the reader.

I won't comment on JSWolfs (unhelpful) posts as I've already done so in another thread.

Basically, I got a lemon (shit happens) and it's at a Sony centre getting looked at as we speak. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks folks!
Just a note for future reference, using a virtual Windows to update the reader is not a good idea as the USB port doesn't always get the resources it needs. We've had reports of readers bricking (older models) when being updated. I would suggest following LinuxReader's directions for any future updates once you get your T1 back and working.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #348
TerryAJ
TerryAJ began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Fixed now

Hi all.

I thought I'd let everyone know the outcome of my problem.

I took the device into the local Sony repair centre before Christmas and got a call to say they'd fixed it a couple of days later. They had done a "factory reset" and they said it was working now. As I'd already done a factory reset I know this was not the case but you can't argue with them.

So I went in and picked it up, plugged it into my usb charger in the car on the way home and 2 minutes later it was cycling (reboot, whirly circle, reboot) again so I took it straight back and they said they would replace it this time.

With delays due to holidays and lack of local stock, I finally picked up the new reader last week and since then, it hasn't missed a beat and I'm well happy with it!

So, if your PRS-T1 is crashing and cycling it's a hardware fault and the device needs to be replaced.

Thanks all.
Terry.
TerryAJ is offline   Reply With Quote