Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #376
laif
laif began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1
Question Tuff Luv Apocalypse?

Has anyone tried the Tuff-Luv Apocalypse case? It looks like the workmanship is good, and the design is such that it should protect the longer PRS-T1 ebook reader just fine.

I'm particularly curious about how much it weighs. I bought both a silicon cover and a cheap Odyssey faux-leather flip-book cover made for the Kindle Touch - and both of them really added on a lot of weight.

I'm also looking at this Odyssey cover, and this Gizmo Dorks cover. They look sufficiently lightweight, but it appears that they don't offer any impact protection for the corners.

Last edited by laif; 03-26-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: clarity
laif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #377
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
I like the Sony T1 light covers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #378
mapabl
Enthusiast
mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: iPad 4, iPad Mini, Rooted NookTablet, NookGlo & SonyT1
Cheap way to keep flip covers closed

I headed over to the local Dollar Tree Store looking for some hairbands that could double as elastic band closures for covers on my PRS-T1, as well as, for my Nook Color. I found a pack of 8 assorted color (red, blue, yellow, pink, orange, purple, white, mauve) elastic hairbands that are just right for both readers. I took the reader out of each cover, wrapped the band around the back cover, re-installed the readers and I'm good to go. There's not much extra give at all so my OEM Sony cover w/light stays closed without adding alot of bulk (same for the Nook cover). While reading, flip the band to the back over both cover flaps and you have a nice compact reading tool. B&N wants $10 for one of these type bands, I got 8 for about $.13. Hope this helps anyone looking for a solution to the flip open cover. NOTE: normal headband size might be too large and require cutting/splitting - this size was a bit smaller and works perfect so compare sizes for the smaller headbands.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS-T1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	84627

Last edited by mapabl; 03-28-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Clarificiation of sizes
mapabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #379
immutability
immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapabl View Post
Hope this helps anyone looking for a solution to the flip open cover.
Very nice, I like it! I was thinking of doing exactly the same but didn't get to it yet. Thank you for your post.
(I should also post my feelings about the Sony cover without the light soon, now that I had it installed for about 2 weeks)
immutability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #380
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Thanks latinandgreek, this one looks perfect for what I'm looking for.

edit: looked on manufacturers site and amazon and black version is not in stock, will definitely pick this up when it comes back in
Ok, the verso clip light finally came back in stock on the manufacturer's site and I got it this past week.

Works great. It clips on with no problems over the standard sony case. It's a perfect option for those who like the idea of having an extremely lightweight "minimal" case but have the option to clip on the light when necessary.

Thanks again for the recommendation latinandgreek!
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #381
Bear100
Bear100 doesn't litterBear100 doesn't litter

Device: none
I finally found a solution for me. I don't travel much, and so a full cover seemed like overkill. I also dislike the glare, but he price of the decals are a bit much, and I worry about my skill to put them neatly in place.

I got a Silicone skin which fits nicely - it is a custom fit with cutouts for the screen, SD Card and the keys, everything else is covered. It also makes the Sony much easier to hold. Since it goes over the edges it adds protection in case I fall asleep and drop the Sony. It was $4.95 at Amazon - not a difficult decision. They come in different colors too. Just search under silicone cover Sony PRS-T1
Bear100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #382
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear100 View Post
I got a Silicone skin which fits nicely - it is a custom fit with cutouts for the screen, SD Card and the keys, everything else is covered. It also makes the Sony much easier to hold. Since it goes over the edges it adds protection in case I fall asleep and drop the Sony.
Hey, I just ordered one of those yesterday! Glad to hear you like it, can't wait for mine. -Ken
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #383
Tony1988
Evangelist
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear100 View Post
I finally found a solution for me. I don't travel much, and so a full cover seemed like overkill. I also dislike the glare, but he price of the decals are a bit much, and I worry about my skill to put them neatly in place.

I got a Silicone skin which fits nicely - it is a custom fit with cutouts for the screen, SD Card and the keys, everything else is covered. It also makes the Sony much easier to hold. Since it goes over the edges it adds protection in case I fall asleep and drop the Sony. It was $4.95 at Amazon - not a difficult decision. They come in different colors too. Just search under silicone cover Sony PRS-T1
Yeah those silicon covers are great. No offense to people who get the skins but they offer no protection or grip like the silicons, just pretty pictures. To me it is not worth $15 to get a skin just to reduce glare or even for the asthetic value. I am sure they wear down much quicker than a silicon cover ever will.

I have a silicon for my 350. It is excellent and only cost a third of what a skin costs.

Best bet for anyone wanting to get rid of the glare of their T1.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #384
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I love the feel of my silicone skin (I posted about mine a few pages back). They're not as light as a decal skin but as Bear100 said they do offer some modicum of protection (much less than a full cover, certainly). They're also lint magnets, the black especially so... pink or white may not show the lint quite as much.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #385
arciervo
arciervo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapabl View Post
I headed over to the local Dollar Tree Store looking for some hairbands that could double as elastic band closures for covers on my PRS-T1, as well as, for my Nook Color. I found a pack of 8 assorted color (red, blue, yellow, pink, orange, purple, white, mauve) elastic hairbands that are just right for both readers. I took the reader out of each cover, wrapped the band around the back cover, re-installed the readers and I'm good to go. There's not much extra give at all so my OEM Sony cover w/light stays closed without adding alot of bulk (same for the Nook cover). While reading, flip the band to the back over both cover flaps and you have a nice compact reading tool. B&N wants $10 for one of these type bands, I got 8 for about $.13. Hope this helps anyone looking for a solution to the flip open cover. NOTE: normal headband size might be too large and require cutting/splitting - this size was a bit smaller and works perfect so compare sizes for the smaller headbands.
What a great idea - this works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

For the benefit of Canadians, Dollarama sells these in bunches of 7 for a dollar, in assorted colors or plain black.
arciervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #386
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Aura, HD, Glo, Mini), KPW1, Nexus 7.2, KFHD'12(n2a), Nook HD
I just ordered a black silicone skin for my T1!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #387
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
The problem with the silicon skin is that it leaves the screen totally unprotected. A cover is better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #388
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the silicon skin is that it leaves the screen totally unprotected. A cover is better.
A cover and a skin serve completely different purposes. Most covers leave the shiny plastic of the reader visible, and a skin (even a silicon skin) offers very little protection. Using a skin doesn't necessarily preclude the use of a cover, though the silicon skin does preclude the use of the official Sony cover.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #389
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Aura, HD, Glo, Mini), KPW1, Nexus 7.2, KFHD'12(n2a), Nook HD
I have a zipper pouch that I keep the Sony in. I want the silicone skin to help my hold when I am reading. The glare of the frame only bothers me when I am using a reading light at night. So the silicone should help with that, too.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #390
chrisridd
Addict
chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.chrisridd actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1 (dead)
I've just given up looking for the apparently mythical third-party case that fits properly and isn't heavy or bulky!

I went and bought a black Sony case - my white T1 looks very smart in it, and the case is really nice and slim.

The only thing about it that I'd like is for it to have a closing mechanism, like a Moleskin-type piece of elastic. There's actually space in the rear case to glue a piece of elastic on, but I'm not rushing...
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote