Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
AnnieHuley
AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 3
ePub or not?

I have owned both a Sony PRS-600 and a Kindle 3. I got the Kindle because I was more impressed with the e-ink on non-touch screen devices at the time.

I am really glad that I switched because I do think the screen on the Kindle is much better, but there is something that I miss.

On my Sony, with ePub books, there were chapter marks, which I really liked. In particular I remember my Sony version of Sense and Sensibility had boxes around the chapter numbers. It looked like this:http://pan.fotovista.com/dev/1/5/037...u_03701451.jpg

I guess my question is, is there a way to get this on Kindle ebooks? Or will Kindle ever have this? Now that a nook or sony will have the same clear screen this may be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by AnnieHuley; 10-07-2011 at 02:31 AM.
AnnieHuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
That's just a border around a paragraph. You can do that with any book, but it has to be defined by the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 10-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
AnnieHuley
AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AnnieHuley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

It's possible with .mobi? I haven't seen it in any amazon books
Old 10-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it's possible with Mobi. Simply place the text in a table with a visible border.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
AnnieHuley

Hm, you lost me there. So I have to manually set each chapter mark? That's a lot of work. Also with an ePub where the chapter boxes are present, they disappear when converted to .mobi
Old 10-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
Hoyt Clagwell
Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
The example that was shown looked like a typical book from Feedbooks.com. I downloaded an ePub version and a Mobi version of the same book. On my Sony it has the border. On my Kindle it does not. But I cannot see how the absence of the border could in anyway dampen my reading experience.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #7
AnnieHuley

It's just a preference. The chapter markers, and the larger first letters make the reading experience more "book"-like for me. I just miss it from one reader to the other.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:09 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieHuley View Post
Hm, you lost me there. So I have to manually set each chapter mark? That's a lot of work.
No, it's something that the creator of the book would do, should they wish to.

Quote:
Also with an ePub where the chapter boxes are present, they disappear when converted to .mobi
In an ePub file you'd do it with something called a "stylesheet". The Mobi format doesn't support these, so formatting that's defined using a stylesheet tends to disappear when you convert the ePub book to Mobi format. But that's not to say that (as in this case) the same effect can't be achieved in a Mobi book; it just has to be done in a different way.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
Hoyt Clagwell
Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I understand. It does look like Amazon is getting more fancy with the first letters for a chapter with their new readers. At least with the book on their webpage.

Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #10
AnnieHuley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it's something that the creator of the book would do, should they wish to.

In an ePub file you'd do it with something called a "stylesheet". The Mobi format doesn't support these, so formatting that's defined using a stylesheet tends to disappear when you convert the ePub book to Mobi format. But that's not to say that (as in this case) the same effect can't be achieved in a Mobi book; it just has to be done in a different way.
Aha! Now we are on the same page. Got it, and thank you.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #11
AnnieHuley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
I understand. It does look like Amazon is getting more fancy with the first letters for a chapter with their new readers. At least with the book on their webpage.

Yes, you're right it does! And I can't say I'm terribly impressed by the shiny cover of the Sony PRS-t1. Maybe I will hold out for the next generation of readers.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
David58117
Zealot
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
This was one of the things I noticed too within my collection (.mobi being less 'faithfull' to formatting) and why I decided to go with epub.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote