Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
trippingly
trippingly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 (9017)
Unhappy Victim of 5.6.1 stealth upgrade

I had already installed the backdoor lock, but then I went from 5.4.5.1 to 5.4.3.2 and back to 5.4.5.1, and I guess the backdoor lock didn't survive those changes. (I thought the downgrade might help with an issue I was having, but it turned out to be totally unnecessary, so I brought this on myself.)

Posting for two reasons: First, in this thread, there was some interest in identifying the OTA update file, and I can tell you exactly which one it was. The name of the file is update-2547700002-fwo.bin, and I've put it in my Dropbox just in case it could be helpful to any of the developers.

(The reason I have it is that after I downgraded and reupgraded to 5.4.5.1, I was fiddling around with KOReader and such, and I noticed the file on the Kindle and wasn't sure where it had come from. I copied it to my computer so I could look into it later and deleted it from the Kindle. You'd think that would have clued me in to the backdoor lock no longer being effective, but no.)

And then the second thing is... At that point (this is still before the 5.6.1 upgrade happened), I did think to install the rescue pack. So when I realized the 5.6.1 upgrade had happened, I had hope that I might be able to boot into diags and downgrade that way. But I've tried creating the ENABLE_DIAGS file and rebooting, and it doesn't boot into diags. So I guess the rescue pack didn't survive the stealth upgrade? Is there anything else I should try before giving up? Thanks for any help you can give me!

(Oh, and in case it's helpful to know this, I had installed the backdoor lock update bundle from here. And the jailbreak is the most recent version.)

Last edited by trippingly; 01-22-2015 at 02:33 PM.
trippingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See the first post of the Jailbreak thread, specifically the section on what to do if you have fw5.6.x but were previously jailbroken.

Yes, it is expected that Rescue Pack (used to) does not survive the update. Although the most recent versions of the jailbreak now protect more than the JB certificate.

When you say "most recent version" do you mean JB v1.12? Because we are up to v1.14 now, largely because of your exact problem. v1.13 had the Rescue Pack bridge.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-27-2015 at 08:08 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote