Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Smile My first ebook reader

Hi all, I would like advice on that reader to buy. I need something:
- good for eyes
- cheap. I am not willing to pay much in case I end up disappointed
- user friendly. I hate bad user interface, hard to use
- good warranty (probably international) as stuff happens to break around me so I always take warranty into consideration (then I say breaks I don't mean that I damage them physically, no dropping etc)

I will have to buy it online probably as the few ereaders available in my country are too expensive.

At the moment I am considering Kindle but I saw it's user interface on youtube and I am pretty sure I'll hate it. I was thinking if I do not even browse in Kindle, only open the book I have chosen on calibre I might not feel to annoyed with the user interface especially since it isn't too expensive. Is it easy to find a book, there is a search for author/title? I didn't see it in any reviews.

So I would like some other recommendations. What other ereaders I could consider?

Also, if new Kindle is released this fall do you think it will be more expensive than Kindle 3? How was it in the past? New model more expensive or pretty much the same price?

Also, are special offers Kindle available only for some countries? And how doe it works if I buy only wifi and never have internet on it. How do ads appear?

Thank you for help
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
The Kindle is a good choice, because as you say reading is the primary thing and its page turn keys on both sides work well. I find its d-pad to be much too small and too near the other keys, which makes non-reading tasks sub-optimal - but bearable.

For large ebook libraries, I think a user-visible folder structure is best. On the kindle, you can use a folder hierarchy for ebooks but they always show up as a linear list. However, there are collections - which are in some ways more powerful than folders. For large ebook libraries (or even small ones), use Calibre to manage all your ebooks. It can setup Kindle collections for you based on your criteria (tags or whatever).

The Kindle has the most comprehensive searching capability of any ebook reader. You can globally search all the text in all your ebooks, and you can also go directly to a first letter in title or author display modes. Within an ebook there is a built in dictionary, although the D-pad makes it less easy to select a word than a touch screen (e.g. on a Sony) would.

The current, mostly unfounded, rumor is that there will be two new 6" Kindles this fall. One like the current one but cheaper, and one with a touch screen. Rumors about either or both might be correct, and even if they exist within Amazon they might decide against releasing one or the other. A touch screen Kindle probably would be an advance over the current d-pad, but so would a better designed d-pad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Is it easy to search only the basic data? Like title, author and series only? I hate vista search then it searches in files content as this way you get hundreds of results if the search word is more common. And I remember partial author or title. The same problem in calibre but you can choose to search only title or author (need to write all that in search bar but at least it is possible)

Now I am even more confused. Even if I decide to get Kindle it seems sensible to wait for a new one (if it comes) but i am reading a lot now and need ereader now.

I am waiting for alternative suggestions
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite
Yeah agreed the kindle is a great choice however I did notice upfront that you said "cheap" and while the Kindle is relatively cheap there is the Kobo that is cheaper. The kindle Special Offers goes for $114 these days and the Kobo $100, the XOVision goes for $88 from JR.com and the Skytek goes for $75 at meritline.com.

If you want a great user interface you will need to spend a bit more for the Nook Simple Touch at Barns and Nobels which I think goes for around $125.

Most waranties are around one year so I don't think that is going to make that much a difference.

In my opinion you need to decide which is more important to you a great user interface (Nook Simple Touch) or price (Kobo).
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Noughty
Addict

I am not as worried about the length of the warranty as about the location. If it works in my country (as I know some electronics have warranty so you can get it serviced only in some countries).

As for price I am willing to pay 125 $ but only worth it if really will be good. I am sure with time if I like using ereader I will buy more and won't be so careful and cheap .

I will have to check out your suggestions. I need to figure out the delivery too, I saw Amazon shipping is cheap (at least the written info in shipments info). Wouldn't want to pay another 25 $ or so on shipping.

I think since my bad luck with electronics I prefer quality even if it means worse user interface (I mean less shiny but lasts longer). I need to break the spell of stuff malfunctioning around me

The most important is that ereader would be good for eyes, good survival skills in my hands (I don't mean surviving dropping or anything similar) and the total shouldn't add up to more than 150 $ (everything included - shipping, case if it is necessary). For good user interface I could pay a little extra. But in my experience sometimes it is better to buy simpler product - more reliable.

Update: checking now and can't seem to find where to buy Kobo touch outside USA and Canada. Looks like only wifi version is available somewhere else and still not in my country. UK closest

XOVision appears to not be e-ink. And the main reason for ereader are my bad eyesight.

SKYTEX not e-ink too. From what I read so far

So far it looks like it is either Kindle or Nook. I am just not sure about Nook warranty. I might be confusing it with another ereader but heard it is troublesome to get warranty service if you are from some other country. Just checked and it seems that Nook is only for USA. That's the main reason I had to dismiss it. A shame your choices are limited because of where you live

Last edited by Noughty; 08-09-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
What country are you in?

And I would wait and see what Sony and Amazon do with their upcoming readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Noughty
Addict

Small country Lithuania. But moving to UK in a few months.

I think I would like Nook better but it is only for USA. I like it's user interface more and I am fond of touchscreen. But afraid to end up with a shiny but less reliable again.

Also what kind of touchscreen it is (Like iphone or different, I prefer the one to press and not iphone version)

And how does special offers kinde works if I have no internet? Does it connects to internet and I cannot shut the connection off? Like I don't want to pay (if it's 3g) and wifi isn't available everywhere. I mean how do I get the ads? And it probably is only for USA? I cannot buy special offers kindle?

Last edited by Noughty; 08-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
sun surfer
in this great future
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mini & sony 950
You sound like you are really worried about warranty, reliability and durability. For this reason, the Kindle sounds like it may be the best option for you. I know in the U.S. they have one of the best customer service departments and they replace broken readers much more easily than other companies. I do not know about other countries, but if Kindle will cover you in Lithuania and the UK, then that's twice the reason for you to get a Kindle with your worries, since Kindle already has great customer service in the U.S. where other companies also cover their e-readers, so in a country where the other companies won't cover their e-readers at all that makes Kindle all that more attractive. I want to say though - I do not know for sure if nook or Kobo or Kindle covers other countries, I'm just going by what you're saying.

As far as user interface, it sounds like you'd like nook better, but given your worries about durability and warranty and all that, you may just have to grin and bear the Kindle interface for peace of mind over the device being protected.

There are new Kindles coming out sometime, maybe October. But you say that doesn't matter because you need it now. So, I'd suggest just going with Kindle and the cheapest Kindle you can get now.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
Amazon customer support is awesome. If you want good warranty, even outside of USA, go Kindle.

Kindle is also a great device. Not cheap, I personally associate the word cheap with poor quality, I would say is not expensive.

If you don't like it, I believe you can return it, at least that's true here in USA.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Kindle Special Offers is US only. It is not available in the UK.

Are you moving to the UK for the long-term? If so, since Amazon sells the Kindle in the UK, you will definitely be covered under warranty there. However, looking online, I couldn't find any evidence that Kindle will honor the warranty in Lithuania. I could be wrong, but if you really want to know, I would suggest using Skype to call Kindle support and ask them directly, or asking someone who is in Lithuania.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #11
TimW
Guru
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHD8.9, KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Kindle is sold to Lithuanian customers. This is the product page for the Wi-Fi version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ1Y8Q?country=LT
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
Noughty
Addict

Apparently Special offers are only for USA. Kindle from uk store is ~14 $ more. Wonder why. But free delivery possible in UK (even if the delivery for my country is only few $).

I think, if there will be no other suggestions. I only have to decide on when to buy.

And with UK store price is above 150 $ (for wifi) or 139 for Lithuania. Don't get it. Are there some other services included in UK version?

Can someone tell more about refurbished Kindle? Does warranty works the same and product isn't damaged in any way?

Kindle doesn't have charger included? Only usb cable for charging? I would like something for travel

Last edited by Noughty; 08-10-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite
Have you considered the Cybook Bookeen? That reader specializes in non-enlgish books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
Noughty
Addict

I specialize in reading English books

And if I need Lithuanian text I usually replace Lithuanian letters ė to e and so on if the device doesn't support the language. I am used to that. And there is like a handful of Lithuanian ebooks.

Cybook Bookeen the cheapest is already 159 euro (Opus). It's more expensive than Kindle but I will check it out.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think that the deals available on the KSO are US only so they limit the sale of the KSO to the US. There are ways around it, if you know someone in the US they can buy a KSO and send it to you and there are companies selling KSOs to people outside of the US. The KSO works fine outside of the US, you just can't take advantage of the offers.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote