Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #226
stalker_by
stalker_by began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
removed

Last edited by stalker_by; 12-09-2011 at 07:51 AM.
stalker_by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #227
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Don't bring killing ads into this thread. I don't care what people do with their own kindles, but this thread is about executing unsigned code. Killing ads is really easy and there's tons of ways of doing it, many that don't even require jailbreaking, but there are other threads for this.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #228
AlexeyII
AlexeyII began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
... but this thread is about executing unsigned code. Killing ads is really easy and there's tons of ways of doing it, many that don't even require jailbreaking, but there are other threads for this.
So what is next target - custom *FC04/FB0x* updates, jailbreaking for 'dummys' or what ?
AlexeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #229
hdfan2
hdfan2 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker_by View Post
Got it.

Anyone knows how to disable ads?
Found this, but I didn't try it, so don't know for sure if this works: http://www.pierotoffanin.com/2011/12...le-4-for-free/
hdfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #230
kkasmire
kkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Great tutorial, dionoea!

Anyone confirm that we have a dropbear or OpenSHH build that works on the Touch kernel? Since the Touch (K4T) and non-Touch (K4nT) kernels are presumably different, is a new compile needed?

I'd try dionoea's tutorial and see if it works - where to I get a K4nT dropbear?
kkasmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #231
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasmire View Post
Anyone confirm that we have a dropbear or OpenSHH build that works on the Touch kernel? Since the Touch (K4T) and non-Touch (K4nT) kernels are presumably different, is a new compile needed?

I'd try dionoea's tutorial and see if it works - where to I get a K4nT dropbear?
The kindle 4 non touch's dropbearmulti binary works fine on the kindle touch (we tested yesterday with ramirami). I'm not sure if it's ok to distribute the amazon binary so I won't provide a download link. I'm sure that it would be possible to recompile that binary from scratch. I'll give it a try this week-end.
dionoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #232
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you use niluje's dropbear binary, you don't need a password. That's the one I'm including with my jailbreak.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #233
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Anyone tried flashing Kindle 4 waveform onto Kindle Keyboard ? Seems like it's one way route ...

edit :

Nevermind it's incompatible.

Last edited by seaniko7; 12-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #234
dmkbox
dmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animals

Great job!
But as a dummy, I ask a questions.
How to add national localization, and how to put Cool reader on device?
dmkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #235
hawkeye85
hawkeye85 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Hi, I have been following this thread since I got my Kindle 4 and just wanted to say first of all I am really impressed with what you guys are doing. Keep up the good work!

One thing I have been waiting to do for ages is set the custom screensavers on my Kindle. I have managed to follow the instructions and ssh onto the kindle (the password mario worked for me btw) and change the prefs file to include the line ''screensaver.enable.userdefined=true".

I then added some kindle screensaver images to the folder /mnt/us/sleepscreens, however now when the screensaver is activated it comes out blank. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
hawkeye85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #236
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

I guess we should focus on touch development now. The main difference in the touch is the use of upstart. If you're interested, the cookbook is very helpful: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/

The upboot is so much for flexible and extendable. For example, I could write a key swapping script and tell it to run before and after otaup is called to patch the keys if amazon didn't make it so easy.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #237
5n00py
5n00py began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkbox View Post
Great job!
But as a dummy, I ask a questions.
How to add national localization, and how to put Cool reader on device?
Hi, now I working on localization. In k4 it's stored in java classes.
Yesterday I was decompile one class with jad, replace few strings and comile again. Today i want to try add this class into kindle.
At this moment i don't know how kindle inlcude localization jars, but i will try)
5n00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #238
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

I've posted this in the IRC, but I'm listing this here just for archival and searching purposes.

The Kindle Touch's update system has a very annoying bug. The new new update format, each package is allowed to insert metadata into the header. The format is 0x2 byte number of meta-strings, then for each string, 0x2 byte for length of string followed by the string (without a null terminator). The problem is that Amazon themselves don't know if the length of the string is little endian or big endian. In libotacheck.so (which runs in the background and deletes invalid updates so you can't even run them from the menu), it assumes the length is little endian (like all other data in the file). Meanwhile, "bundlefuncs", which is called by otaup to extract and run the update assumes it is big endian. This means if I say my string is 0x10 bytes long, libotacheck.so will check to make sure I have a 0x1000 byte string. Now, there's no problem if I my file is big enough because right after the metadata is the actual update file (and currently, there is no use for metadata), however, if I have a small update package that is less than 0x1000 bytes, it will libotacheck.so will delete it automatically before you can even tap on "Menu", "Settings" and "Update your Kindle". If you assume it's little endian, then the updater itself will look for a 0x1000 byte string and fail. Also, while we're on the subject, all meta-strings must be in the format of "key=value", if you forget the = sign, libotacheck.so will kill it.

Now what's the point of this? Currently, none. Amazon does not use the metadata values. I was hoping to make use of it for a future packaging system and store version information and such. Also, if anyone from Amazon is reading this, you're welcome.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #239
dmkbox
dmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5n00py View Post
Hi, now I working on localization. In k4 it's stored in java classes.
Yesterday I was decompile one class with jad, replace few strings and comile again. Today i want to try add this class into kindle.
At this moment i don't know how kindle inlcude localization jars, but i will try)
Ok, hope you get luck.
Waiting for your posts.
dmkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #240
AlexeyII
AlexeyII began at the beginning.

*WARNING* THIS IS DEVELOPER ONLY VERSION, YOU CAN BRICK YOU DEVICE

You will get ability install self-signed packages and root acces
Requirements: Kindle 4 (no touch) 4.0.0/4.0.1 firmware, working usbnet&dropbear in diag mode
If you have 4.0.1 do python script and get password
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import hashlib
print("fiona%s"%hashlib.md5("XXXYOURSERIALXXX\n".encode('utf-8')).hexdigest()[7:11])
*NOT-RECOMMENDED* 'oldscool' jailbreak for Kindle 4 (no touch)
Spoiler:

1) copy ENABLE_DIAGS to kindle's root folder
2) extract jailbreak.zip to kindle's root folder
3) reset kindle
4) in DIAG mode, select Misc individual diagnostics > Utilities > Enable USBnet
5) ssh to 192.168.15.244, enter root:mario (pass for 4.0.0)
6) do two commands:
Code:
cd /mnt/us
./install-at-diag-mode-only.sh
7) exit & reset kindle
8) create or convert your packages (you need openssl in PATH environment) with last updated tool:
Code:
 kindle_update_tool_oldscool.py c --k4w out in.tar.gz
 kindle_update_tool_oldscool.py m --k4w out in1 in2 in3
9) copy update-out.bin to kindle's root folder & Update.

PREFERRED jailbreak for Kindle 4 (no touch) with adding fake dev key
1) copy ENABLE_DIAGS to kindle's root folder
2) extract jailbreak.zip to kindle's root folder
3) reset kindle
4) in DIAG mode, select Misc individual diagnostics > Utilities > Enable USBnet
5) ssh to 192.168.15.244, root, pass (for 4.0.0 pass is mario, for 4.0.1 calculate it before, it must be fionaxxxx)
6) do some commands:
Code:
cd /mnt/us
mkdir /mnt/main
mount -t ext3 -o rw /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/main 
cp -f pubprodkey01.hack.pem /mnt/main/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem
sync
umount /mnt/main
rm -r  /mnt/main
7) exit & reset kindle
8) create or convert your packages (you need openssl in PATH environment) with last updated tool:
Code:
 kindle_update_tool_.py c --k4w out in.tar.gz
 kindle_update_tool_.py m --k4w out in1 in2 in3
9) copy update-out.bin to kindle's root folder & Update.

dionoea for root pass
Yifan Lu for jailbreak script
Belkaar for pass generator
Igor Skochinsky for kindle_update_tool.py
Attached Files
File Type: zip jailbreak.zip (2.7 KB, 4185 views)
File Type: txt kindle_update_tool_oldscool.py.txt (17.6 KB, 998 views)
File Type: txt kindle_update_tool.py.txt (17.6 KB, 1235 views)

Last edited by AlexeyII; 12-12-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: kindle_update_tool_*.py scripts renamed, 4.0.1 updated
AlexeyII is offline   Reply With Quote