Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
Question Kobo Desktop problem (WinXP / Win7)?

Hi all,
I think I have some HW (possibly power) USB problem on my PC at home (Win7, normal user) so that when I connect the KT, the connection dialog appears on the KT screen but immediately disappears and I cannot click on "Connect".
Anyway, Kobo Desktop application works perfectly; logged in, library sync, buy, ...

So, I'm trying to connect the KT to my office laptop (WinXP, admin user); it works perfectly: when I connect the USB the device shows the connection dialog, it remains and I can click "Connect". I can see the USB disk in Windows Explorer and can copy files in there.
So I went to kobosetup.com, downloaded the PC version of the application, installed, rebooted, ran... and since the KT was connected it told me the KT was already configured to gave me an "Ignore" button that bring me on the "Account Login" or "Buy New Books" window (see attachment, sorry for the Italian). Since I'm in office, I've used Ctrl+Alt+P to activate proxy. The fact is that clicking on any of these two buttons performs no action. Nothing happens.

Any idea? At home, probably due to HW USB power (I also have to use external power supply for my USB HD) I cannot connect KT. At office, don't know why, I cannot use Kobo Desktop... I also have an Eee PC that perfectly connects to KT but since it is the original Xandros Linux I don't have the Kobo Desktop application.

Any idea? Any help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	144
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	76474  
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Geco
Zealot

No one with this problem?

Enthusiast
Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Have you tried uninstalling Kobo Desktop and then reinstalling with your Kobo unplugged?
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Geco
Zealot

Tried that, tried to uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot, use. Tried also the same with registry cleaning. I've tried also by copying colleague installation (his works...) and having time today I'll try by copying his documents and settings\user\...\kobo preferences directory...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Have you been in touch with the official Kobo Support lines:

eMail: help@kobobooks.com

http://www.kobobooks.com/help
http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo
http://kobo.zendesk.com/home
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Don't forget to also check & clean out areas like \Users\%username%\AppData as Kobo Desktop may leave some config files around after an uninstall.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, Aluratek Libre Pro, HP Touchpad, Kindle Touch, Galaxy S3
Try uninstalling with Revo if you're not sure you've managed to find everything. It runs a deep-scan and removes all registry entries as well as all folders a program might leave behind.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Geco
Zealot

Kept in touch with official support, waiting for an answer.
Cleared all areas, together with registry... same result. I've also tried using users\... things of my colleague (his works) but doesn't work.

Tomorrow (in office) I'll try again with Revo. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc
Can you please try installing MS DebugView and run it at the same time as the Desktop application? Please send me whatever appears in the DebugView when you try and click on the buttons. It can be downloaded here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896647
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
Geco
Zealot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Can you please try installing MS DebugView and run it at the same time as the Desktop application? Please send me whatever appears in the DebugView when you try and click on the buttons. It can be downloaded here:
Thanks! Didn't know this tool: cool! Results attached. It seems, briefly, that even if proxy is configured, connection does not work. Is there a way to specify proxy somewhere?

Line 5, I've started the application.

00000005 7.87510777 [3428] ApplicationBase::switchTranslator::loading locale: ":/translations/trans_it_IT"

Line 14, I've clicked the button.

00000014 14.00071621 [3428] BTMMHOOK 16.09.2011 09:31:04 Thread<1AF4> Hook DLL loaded

Nothing happens, after a while (see the timing, 40 secs) there is a timeout... but nothing can be seen on the screen.

00000019 56.32960510 [3428] NetworkReplyObserver:nError 99
00000020 56.32971191 [3428] WebResponseInflater::webRequestFinished FAILED 99 "Connection timed out"
Attached Files
File Type: txt KoboDesktopDebug.txt (2.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
Geco
Zealot

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Thank you!!! Got it!!! I've modified IE proxy configuration to use a specific IP instead of the script we have... and it worked!!!
Well, at least now I can see the main screen. It still tells me it cannot connect but now I have the whole thing working.
Now I can uninstall and configure it properly.

Indeed, I'm wondering why my colleague still has such script... and his works!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #12
Geco
Zealot

Situation: now it connects and I can see the books and so but clicking on the login window it does not show any menu and does not allow me to enter user/password.
I think I probably have to check by connecting KT with USB cable, but today I don't have it...
Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc
Do you see the same error log when you try clicking the login window?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:38 AM   #14
Geco
Zealot

Not sure... busy afternoon yesterday. Monday I'll check.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #15
Geco
Zealot

Still have to do the check... Busy week.