Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
grammy57
grammy57 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
rooting help?

What I want to do with my Nook is to be able to add the Kindle app so I can also read Kindle books. If this is even possible? I have a second hand Nook Classic. This is the info I was able to get Serial # 10036**********, Firmware 1_2_2_1_6AP Software 1.7.0. I have other numbers if needed. So, will I be able to add the Kindle app and if so how?
Thanks for any and all help.
Grammy57
grammy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
BruceMcF
BruceMcF began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy57 View Post
What I want to do with my Nook is to be able to add the Kindle app so I can also read Kindle books. If this is even possible? I have a second hand Nook Classic. This is the info I was able to get Serial # 10036**********, Firmware 1_2_2_1_6AP Software 1.7.0. I have other numbers if needed. So, will I be able to add the Kindle app and if so how?
Thanks for any and all help.
Grammy57
Yes, you have two approaches:
(1) Make an N2A card (these are also sold), which will sit in the micro-SD slot. When it boots up, you can pick between the open system in the SD card or the original B&N system. Instructions here.

(2) Do a manual noot of the kernel. This lets you install the Android market apps right on the B&N home screen. Instructions here. However, look in your system information ~ if its not 1.4.2, first upgrade the stock kernel, because upgrading the stock kernal removes the root, and the process has to be repeated (there's a way to prevent this for people who spend the $3 for the SQLite database manager).
BruceMcF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
grammy57

What is the part of the system that should be 1.4.2? What is it called when I look?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
grammy57

Another question. I went to the link and it says it's for the Nook Color?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
BruceMcF
BruceMcF began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy57 View Post
Another question. I went to the link and it says it's for the Nook Color?
*facepalm* Yes, that's the Nook Color. AFAIU the 1st Gen stuff isn't even on xda-developers.

The 1.4.1 is the firmware ~ Nook units with firmware before 1.4.1 use THIS procedure, and units with firmware 1.4.1 use THIS procedure.

The serial numbers after the change start with 1003 and higher, so use the first link if your serial number starts under 1003.

As far as I understand, the 1st Gen is more complicated to root than the Nook Simple Touch.
BruceMcF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
It seems the download links on the nookdevs wiki no longer have the 1.0 firmware. All the links say the file is no longer available.

Any one know where to get my hands on it?
afa is offline   Reply With Quote