Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Lluce
Lluce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Little Men and Jo's Boys ebook

I was able to get a nice copy for my Kindle with illustrations of Little Women & Good Wives from this website (I'm new here) but there doesn't seem to be a copy of Little Men or Jo's Boys on here. Is there a good place that has these with (hopefully Illustrations) for the Kindle? I have read to be careful of some copies that have a bunch of typo's etc. Since I haven't read any of these, I am building my collection of classics to read and would like the best copies available. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have checked Gutenberg and they have Little Men and Jo's Boys unillustrated and I don't know the quality of them as far as typos etc.
Lluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro, Kindle 3/WiFi - Retired:Clie UX50, T415, ...
Project Gutenberg ebooks are usually very carefully proof read and corrected. I've downloaded and read a very large number (>100) of PG's books over the last decade and a half and rarely encounter errors (none in downloads done in the last 5 years or so).

From what I could find in a quick search, the original editions of neither Little Men nor Jo's Boys were illustrated. PG's ebooks don't include illustrations unless their source edition was illustrated and both the text and illustrations are in the public domain.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Lluce
Lluce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you. At least I feel more comfortable downloading Gutenberg books and not getting a mess!
Lluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
My experience with Project Gutenberg is that their books are better edited than most new books coming out. Pity about the lack of illustrations, though,
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Project Gutenberg ebooks are usually very carefully proof read and corrected. I've downloaded and read a very large number (>100) of PG's books over the last decade and a half and rarely encounter errors (none in downloads done in the last 5 years or so).
As a matter of interest, how do you know that there were no errors? Let me give you an example: I am, as you may be aware, producing a collection of meticulously proofed edition of Dickens's work here at MR. In "The Old Curiosity Shop", there were two cases where a complete double page had been missed out from the PG text, but it just happened that they both were examples where the text read sensibly even with the omission.

How can you judge whether or not the text contains errors unless you do as I do and meticulously compare it, side by side, with a good printed edition?
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote