Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Care
Guru
Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.

Device: Nook Classic, NOOKcolor, Nook STR, Galaxy S Fascinate w/Aldiko
Problems with root

Ok, I have posted some of my frustrations on a couple different threads. I originally rooted my Nook from 1.0 when I first got it. I wanted to see what some of the upgrades offered so I put it back to stock.

I was happy with 1.2 & 1.3 for most things. I use my NC as reader mostly, but occasionally like to browse the web. I really wanted a better browser and keyboard. I decided to try the sd card cm7, but I missed the stock functions like last page read and books on my home page. So back I went to stock.

So I rooted again to see what I could do about the keyboard and browser issues. I have done it 3 times now. The first time everything was fine, but I wasn't seeing all of the market so I followed the instructions on the xda thread. Then I had a boot loop problem. Did a factory reset and re-rooted. Still limited market so I did things a bit different this time. I could at least get some things off the market so that was a step ahead. After I saw that people on the xda forums said to change the lcd density to 160 to fix this, so I did. Still limited visibility for market.

I decided to just keep Opera Mini (which I used to use and do like some of the features) and just needed a decent keyboard now. So now that I could get some apps in the market I searched for root explorer and it was there. Bought it, installed and tried to get my two keyboards on my sd card to show up. SD card folder was empty. I know it was there because it showed up before with astro file manager. Rebooted NC and got stuck on boot loop AGAIN. Tried to just install root over top hoping I could skip the factory wipe. Nope still boot loop. Did another factory reset.

So now I was thinking of doing a root over 1.2 instead of 1.3. I never had any problems back when I rooted with 1.0, but I want my sideloaded books on my home page.

I have seen others having the same issues. Has anybody found a fix yet or have any tips?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Care
Guru
Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.

OMG I finally think I had the permissions changed so I could install my gingerbread keyboard and when I did my reboot I got BOOT LOOP again! Seriously?!? What am I doing wrong? Actually it was my fault this time. I was being lazy and didn't want to get up to get another sd card so I used the one with my nooter. D'oh. I forgot and rebooted with it still in.

Have to go set up and register my NC again. Thankfully rooting only takes a minute or two. It's the set ups and rebooting that take forever.

Last edited by Care; 10-15-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Enthusiast
Old 10-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Care
Guru

Ok, finally got a couple keyboards to work. Swiftkey and smart keyboard both work. My Gingerbread apk won't work and flext9 doesn't show up in market.

So now I have at least a decent keyboard. Ok, so now I just need a browser. I would like dolphin hd but it doesn't show up in market. I will use opera mini, but how do I get the web button to give me the option to choose? Last time I rooted I could choose which browser (even when in the home launcher), now it only uses the stock browser.

I want to use the home launcher because I like having my books on the home page.

Also, I checked a button to put it in fullscreen mode, but I don't want it that way. I can't find it though now that I want to change it. Anybody know?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Care
Guru

I rebooted to see if I could get the screen back to normal, and guess what? You got it, boot loop again!

I can't post on the xda forums and I really need help!

Edit: did the whole process over. Got everything the exact way I wanted it. Opera to open from the web button on the home launcher and a nice keyboard. Just to see what would happen I rebooted again, lol. Of course boot loop happened. So what, I can just never let my NC reboot or battery drain? WTF?

Edit 2: Think I figured it out. Will post if successful.

Edit 3: I had already did a reset so I don't know if this would have worked before. Anyway downloaded the fix for adobe flash here. So far it hasn't updated so I don't know if it will work if my NC decides to auto-update. I now have a few keyboards to use and Opera Mini, so I am happy as long as the bootloop doesn't happen again.

Last edited by Care; 10-15-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Care
Guru

Because I am not sure if the flash fix is working I made sure to disable auto-updates for Adobe Air. For some reason Adobe Flash hasn't offered me that option, so if it does install I will do what I did when Adobe Air installed (before I set it to not update). I went to NookColor Tools - Manage Applications - All - then go to Adobe Air or Adobe Flash and if it installed an update there should be an option to uninstall it back to the original.

I know some people say to completely uninstall Flash and Air and then install from Market, but I haven't done that yet. I think you need to use Titanium Backup for this. So far mine is working and rebooting as usual. I will probably do it just to see how it works. I am just happy that I have gone a few days without having bootloop!

My NC updated ROM Manager and SuperUser (I think that's what it is called, and it updated a binary system of some sort I can't remember as it was very late. So far they haven't effected my NC.

Also, people have mentioned doing the 8 failed reboots to get back to factory settings, but I did the hold down N and power key for 10 seconds (when it is off) and then it asked if I wanted to do a factory reset. it is much easier than the 8 failed reboots and it brought me back to 1.3 so I didn't have to update again.

P.S. I am posting this even though nobody has commented just in case somebody like myself needs help through this. I have found helpful posts at the xda forums (thanks to all the great members there!), but it took me hours of browsing and waiting for responses to get things right. Hopefully this can help somebody out there.

Last edited by Care; 10-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Care
Guru

So there is a new awesome thread at xda forums that helps with this and has a new flash and air fix. You can find it here, thanks to jaromrnelson for all the great help!