Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Un-free novel 'Haven'

Haven, not free for the moment.

It's a little experiment I'm running, primarily for assistance in my efforts to get my second novel published.
---------

OLD INFO

--------

Responding to the most common criticism, Haven has been completely re-edited top to bottom. No more same number chapters, no more silly typos (well, fewer, I'd say). Call it the luxury edition, if you'd like, but it's been given a thorough scrubbing.

It is available on Smashwords for 99 cents in just about any format you'd want:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7341

Also a bestseller (har har har) on Amazon, only 99 cents!

http://www.amazon.com/Haven-ebook/dp/B0031Y6TKW

Here's a synopsis to pique potential interest:

"Before Proposition 172, being a Citizen was a way to separate one’s self from the rest of society. After Proposition 172, the rest of the world truly was separate from you. It was such a simple answer, really. How could one keep every undesirable part of society away from the parts that deserved better? Move it.

In the city of Haven, the dreams of the Citizens have been realized in the Separation project. No longer will people of good stature and breeding be required to interact with the working class, the filthy and disease-ridden rejects that fill the streets. No longer will real people have to suffer junkies, criminals, and thieves. Instead, a cleaner and purer world has been crafted to suit your every need. The best part? Well, all those undesirables had to be worth something, after all. Why not just use them? Give them a short re-education and make them docile workers.

This is the world that a young woman named Kaylee lives in. One where Citizens, the truly “elite,” capture and enslave ordinary people to suit their needs. This is the Haven of constant fear, where any moment you might be brutally beaten by a gang, stolen by a squad of Citizen “recruiters,” or you might simply starve to death. It is a world of darkness, hidden far below the bright and shining city where the Citizens and their ilk live in splendor. It is a world without hope.

Yet in these dark slums beneath the city of Haven, things are being set in motion. Plans are being carried out, forces are being gathered. The powerful and reclusive slumlord, Elijah, starts a chain of events which will swallow everyone in the city - Citizen and undesirable alike.

Stuck in the middle, Kaylee and her companions will be forced into the horrifying realization that is at the core of life in Haven: no action is without consequence."

Last edited by Kemp; 10-14-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
JRM34857
Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
Looks interesting. I will give it a try....
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The one review that has been posted so far:

"Fun Read! I could not stop reading and that says a lot to me about an author and his tale. I WAS INTO IT! Well worth the purchase...and yes I DID purchase it! The characters felt real and I hope we get to join in more of their adventures in the future. Thank you Justin! I wish you THE BEST in your future as an author!

GO MALCOLM!"

Makes me pretty cheerful when I read it, obviously =)
Old 01-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Sounds a bit like Robert A. Dahl's famous theory of pluralism, which the story is told from New Haven, CT. Still-definitely interesting. Thanks for the lead!
CJP
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, Kemp

Thank you for offering you book to us. We are a worldwide forum of many devices and having your book in multiple formats allows us all the opportunity to read it.

I see that you have already discovered the forums and jumped right in. We love to support authors who participate. Ask if you would like to know anything and have fun exploring MR.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Welcome to MR..

I'll definitely get your book from Smashwords... The kindle edition for international customers is an extra $2... So your kindle edition to me is $4...

I do have Kindle for PC, but I refuse to pay the extra $2, except if I want a specific book, and it's absolutely not available anywhere else... Of course I still can't buy 'featured books' from Amazon, due to Geographical restrictions.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Kemp
Zealot

Yeah, putting it on Amazon was sort of an outreach program to those people who had a, "Oh scary, what is this site that I've never heard of or seen, no of course I won't set up an account, what are you, crazy?" sort of reaction to Smashwords. Amazon is just more familiar to people.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Sounds very interesting. Downloaded. Hopefully I'll get to read on my new Pocket Pro towards the end of the upcoming week.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Kemp
Zealot

Many thanks to the fellow who posted the review!

"I just finished the book and I rate it a 4 out of 5, strongly recommended.

The story is intriguing and the plot well laid out. There is a good pace in it, with not so obvious twists and turns, which kept my attention level high throughout the book. There are a lot of characters and it takes a while to get to know them. Some may like this, some don't.

This book could easily be converted into a film without the need to write a script: the book is the script.

A minor negative point is that I found the end to be too open. There are still too many questions unanswered = a hint for writing a sequel or two. First one a direct follow-up of the story and another ***something about something that may be a spoiler***

Thanks and hope to read you later."

As an author, it gives the most amazing feeling when the work is enjoyed, not by the people I know and love, but the people who have no stake in my emotional well-being. Honest, constructive criticism even better; it helps authors grow and develop, identify the weaknesses in their writing.

So thanks again!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Bagged and snagged!

Thanks.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Kemp
Zealot

I put up a free short story, entitled "Herbert Meets God."

If you want to get a taste of my writing without spending more than 5 minutes of reading time, check it out; it's available in the usual pile of formats.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9112

Stylistically, it's absolutely nothing like Haven, but it's a quick read.

Haven, of course, is still free:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7341
Old 01-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Just an FYI your book as 2 chapter 20's. I was creating a Table of Contents for the epub and noticed this.

Chapter 20: Warzone
Chapter 20: New Allies

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 01-30-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
Kemp
Zealot

Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure and get that fixed ASAP

Good eye by the way. I'm ashamed to say it's not something I think I'd ever notice =(
Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I have created a Table of Contents for this ebook. I have not altered anything only added a Table of Contents using Sigil. Its the kind that shows up when you click the TOC button in Calibre's reader (not an in-page linky toc).

So if anyone wants a copy of the epub with toc please pm your email and I will send it to you. Unless of course the author has some issue with me doing this.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
Kemp
Zealot

Hmmmm, unless you count gratitude as an "issue," then no.

Thanks very much!