Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
NickyWithNook
Fanatic
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GlowLight, Kindle PW2, iPad 3, Nook Tablet & Color, Rooted STR
Is this possible? Too much work to be worth it? (Ipad2/Nook STR)

I just got a Nook a few days ago. Before that, I was using my iPad2 for ebooks, but my eyes aren't great and it's OK to use for lighter reading, but when I have to concentrate more, like reading a book, I don't like the backlit display.

I bought some books for the Kindle app on the iPad before I got the nook, and one I haven't read, and a few more I read but I'd like available on the Nook.

Is it possible to use Calibre to change this? Is it so much work that it would be easier to buy the book again for the Nook? (It's only $10 so won't break the bank.) Or I could just read it on the iPad, though I'd like it for the Nook.

I use my daughter's computer when I need a "real computer", and I've been using that to get library ebooks, and I know how to transfer those to the iPad. I can handle something that complicated, but I am not techie so if it's too complicated, let me know and I'll go with another option.

Thanks!
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
First, my older eyes agree with you, reading for me with a backlit device is too straining on the eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I bought some books for the Kindle app on the iPad before I got the nook, and one I haven't read, and a few more I read but I'd like available on the Nook.

Is it possible to use Calibre to change this? Is it so much work that it would be easier to buy the book again for the Nook? (It's only $10 so won't break the bank.) Or I could just read it on the iPad, though I'd like it for the Nook.
The book you bought is restricted via DRM and thus can't be converted directly by calibre to ePub. That said, Google Apprentice Alf's Blog, there is info there on adding third party (read not available through calibre's interface) plugins to calibre that should allow you to remove the DRM restriction. Providing detailed instructions here is against Mobileread policy.

Once the DRM restriction is removed calibre can convert the resultant mobi file to ePub for use on your Nook.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
NickyWithNook
Fanatic
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GlowLight, Kindle PW2, iPad 3, Nook Tablet & Color, Rooted STR
Success! Thanks!

I absolutely do not want to do anything illegal. Is it legal to buy stuff from the Kindle store and do this? There might be things available from the Amazon store for the Kindle not on B&N for the Nook. So long as I've paid for the book, this should be legal, right? I doubt this would come up often but it's really good to have the option.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread!

Quote:
Success! Thanks!
You're Welcome.

Quote:
I absolutely do not want to do anything illegal. Is it legal to buy stuff from the Kindle store and do this? There might be things available from the Amazon store for the Kindle not on B&N for the Nook. So long as I've paid for the book, this should be legal, right? I doubt this would come up often but it's really good to have the option.
Is it legal? I'm not sure, but as long as you're doing this on books you buy for your own personal use...

The calibre forum isn't a great place for a legal discussion you should probably post that question in another forum more suited for this discussion.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-23-2011 at 10:32 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
That depends largely on where you are. I don't think it's very probable that something like breaking DRM would be considered legal in any way under any circumstances in the US.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote