Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-23-2014, 02:56 AM   #3856
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook HD+, Xperia Ion
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Hmmm...that's a good point Fizz, maybe his access to dropbox is blocked?

"https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62688405/messages/42.JPG"

Tox, try accessing the above address and see what uou get, ok?

While I do see most of your pics, dropbox is not a great solution for hosting images. Regardless of how much storage space you have, if too many people are looking at a picture you've shared via dropbox, it's easy to use up more bandwidth than the service allows. Image hosting is a tetchy issue on the interwebs, because if you embed images too widely from servers or services that are getting no compensation (usually in the form of advertising), and if that image gets more popular than anyone anticipated, it can lead to serious expenses or even shut down the server and associated sites. With dropbox, if too many people are linking to a given file, they'll shut down links to that whole account. It's better to use dedicated image hosting services. I use photobucket, but imgur is more popular these days, and even flickr has the basic functionality. A lot of blogs and even some forums now offer the option of uploading images direct to their servers, so that the whole onus of bandwidth lies with the site actually displaying the content, but of course that solution raises copyright issues.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #3857
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles 2, KB, PW 1, PW 2, Voyage, & Fire 2 -- iPad mini
Cool image hosting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
While I do see most of your pics, dropbox is not a great solution for hosting images...It's better to use dedicated image hosting services. I use photobucket, but imgur is more popular these days, and even flickr has the basic functionality...
I agree, but of the other free web storage options that I've used (MobileRead Albums and Copy) I've experienced problems of one kind or another, hence my switching back to Dropbox. Are any of those that you mention cost-free? What are the storage limits? Are there any other gotchas?

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #3858
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Why is Bob like he is

Terrence Mann as Bob on the Dresden TV show.

Terrence Mann as Ug in Critters 2 (where he became fascinated with buxom ladies
and then that fascination carried on to his portrayal of Bob).

Last edited by alansplace; 06-29-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #3859
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree, but of the other free web storage options that I've used (MobileRead Albums and Copy) I've experienced problems of one kind or another, hence my switching back to Dropbox. Are any of those that you mention cost-free? What are the storage limits? Are there any other gotchas?

All of those are "freemium" like Dropbox, but you got me doing a little research, and Dropbox actually has higher bandwidth caps than Photobucket, and both Photobucket and imgur compress and/or resize everything you upload, whereas Dropbox duplicates the original file. The main drawback to Dropbox is it doesn't have all the forum/blog oriented copy-and-paste sharing options or easy upload-from-URL, but chances are you already have a workflow to deal with that.

The service I saw mentioned several places as the best image host these days is Minus, which has a 10GB storage limit and no bandwidth limits, and does offer all the convenience features of other image hosts. One of my main objections to using Dropbox for image hosting is I use Dropbox for a lot of other things, including all my personal photos and documents, and I'd rather keep web images compartmentalized in a more disposable account.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #3860
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
Quote:
The service I saw mentioned several places as the best image host these days is Minus, which has a 10GB storage limit and no bandwidth limits, and does offer all the convenience features of other image hosts.
+1 for Minus. I use it for sharing gaming and other software screenshots, and lots of other people do too. Works just as well for other types of images, too. They are used to high-exposure hotlinking - like high-traffic screenshot threads on big gaming sites.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #3861
alansplace
Wizard

Cool image hosting...

Quote:
All of those are "freemium" like Dropbox, but you got me doing a little research, and Dropbox actually has higher bandwidth caps than Photobucket, and both Photobucket and imgur compress and/or resize everything you upload, whereas Dropbox duplicates the original file. The main drawback to Dropbox is it doesn't have all the forum/blog oriented copy-and-paste sharing options or easy upload-from-URL, but chances are you already have a workflow to deal with that.

The service I saw mentioned several places as the best image host these days is Minus, which has a 10GB storage limit and no bandwidth limits, and does offer all the convenience features of other image hosts. One of my main objections to using Dropbox for image hosting is I use Dropbox for a lot of other things, including all my personal photos and documents, and I'd rather keep web images compartmentalized in a more disposable account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
+1 for Minus. I use it for sharing gaming and other software screenshots, and lots of other people do too. Works just as well for other types of images, too. They are used to high-exposure hotlinking - like high-traffic screenshot threads on big gaming sites.
Thanks guys but Minus presents me with the same problem that Photobucket and Imgur did, I'm unable to create an account with my PC and when it comes to smartphones I'm kind of a Luddite in that particular area. I don't own one and don't want to own one. My cell phone has no data connection and no texting. It's a phone with a slide-out hardware keyboard (even though I don't text with it).

Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #3862
Melon Soda
Merry X'mas!! ♥
Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Desktop
The Dresden files is one of my favorite series! I have the entire book collection and I am looking forward to add the digital versions of the set to my expanding e-library one day! I'm glad I found this thread and I'm subscribing to it for the news! Hopefully I can find the Dresden shows in my country, I'm dying to watch them and I am also looking forward to the new Skin Game book too!
Melon Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #3863
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Soda View Post
The Dresden files is one of my favorite series! I have the entire book collection and I am looking forward to add the digital versions of the set to my expanding e-library one day! I'm glad I found this thread and I'm subscribing to it for the news! Hopefully I can find the Dresden shows in my country, I'm dying to watch them and I am also looking forward to the new Skin Game book too!
Me too!

My Dresden Files hardcover collection! I actually read them as ebooks with my Kindle.

What country is 'my country'?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #3864
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks guys but Minus presents me with the same problem that Photobucket and Imgur did, I'm unable to create an account with my PC and when it comes to smartphones I'm kind of a Luddite in that particular area. I don't own one and don't want to own one. My cell phone has no data connection and no texting. It's a phone with a slide-out hardware keyboard (even though I don't text with it).

Wow, that's strange. When I got my account, it was... normal, for lack of a more appropriate word. Hmmm....

Wait - try this link: http://minus.com/pages/join

It probably still works.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #3865
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
I'm unable to create an account with my PC
What's stopping you?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 AM   #3866
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
What's stopping you?
If you go to the regular signup page, it tells you to install an app. They're all about their app now, it seems. But that link I posted should work for him - it has a normal username / pass signup form.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #3867
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
If you go to the regular signup page, it tells you to install an app. They're all about their app now, it seems. But that link I posted should work for him - it has a normal username / pass signup form.
I think it's a cookies thing. I was able to sign up normally earlier tonight, but now if I sign out and go to the sign up link, I get the app ad.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #3868
alansplace
Wizard

Cool minus.com

Quote:
Wow, that's strange. When I got my account, it was... normal, for lack of a more appropriate word. Hmmm....

Wait - try this link: http://minus.com/pages/join

It probably still works.
It allows me to create an account but will not allow me to sign in afterwards, it says The password does not match.

Last edited by alansplace; 06-24-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #3869
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
Skin Game slipped past me at the library. I should have set up a notice for when it became available. I'm #41 on the waiting list, at least they have nine copies.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #3870
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Skin Game

Decided to re-read Skin Game, this time around, I'm listening to Marsters doing the audio.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy