Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #3301
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
I love this. I might change all my covers if the rest are this good. Love Hedwig
I'd almost be tempted to re-buy the Scholastic paper editions just based on the first cover. Absolutely enchanting.

It's always bothered me that my copies of the series were not edition-matched. I don't care about first editions or any of that, I just want them to look like they belong together on the shelf, and right now they don't. This would be a good excuse to fix that.

And, of course, I do love that changing ebook covers costs nothing so that will certainly be happening.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #3302
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2nd Gen
Cool I like these nw covers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'd almost be tempted to re-buy the Scholastic paper editions just based on the first cover. Absolutely enchanting.

It's always bothered me that my copies of the series were not edition-matched. I don't care about first editions or any of that, I just want them to look like they belong together on the shelf, and right now they don't. This would be a good excuse to fix that.

And, of course, I do love that changing ebook covers costs nothing so that will certainly be happening.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 02-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #3303
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

YOU ARE THE BEST!!! I have to find all these...

Someone please give Alan some Karma for me
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #3304
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I might buy them all in paper form again. My youngest daughter loves Harry Potter and I think she'll really like these covers. I'm definitely changing the ebook covers I have to these ones.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #3305
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Omnibus eh?
Was that over at Amazon? I'll have to check, as Kobo didn't seem to have the series, it's been awhile since I bought anything via the Kindle Store, hope Uncle Alf is up to date

Thanks for the reccy, Lea and Alan.

EDIT: Just like ridin' a bike. As soon as I'm finished Col Bailey's "Shadow of the Thylacine", I'm diving back into fiction again with Monster Hunters.

Thanks for the heads up on the Omnibus Edition, Andy_T.
They're published by Baen so there shouldn't be any need for Alf, or you can simply get them from Baen which gives you every format you could ever want.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #3306
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool "Harry Potter" Books Getting New Covers...

Quote:
...And, of course, I do love that changing ebook covers costs nothing so that will certainly be happening.
Quote:
I might buy them all in paper form again. My youngest daughter loves Harry Potter and I think she'll really like these covers. I'm definitely changing the ebook covers I have to these ones.
Here are all 7!

Christa...I just changed all 7 (actually 8 because I have both the UK and American versions of the 1st book) of my Pottermore ebooks to these new covers!

* Just added the newest cover that I can find for the UK book 1 to the other 7.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newcover1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	118686   Click image for larger version

Name:	HP2-Kibuishi.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	770.7 KB
ID:	118687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Normal_potter_cover_3_CROP_article568-large.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	118688   Click image for larger version

Name:	hp-cover-book-4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	803.4 KB
ID:	118689   Click image for larger version

Name:	order-of-the-phoenix-new-cover-1000.jpg
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	118690   Click image for larger version

Name:	EnigmadoPrincipeNovaCapaAltaQualidade.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	799.1 KB
ID:	118691   Click image for larger version

Name:	kkhp7-lg.jpg
Size:	992.3 KB
ID:	118692   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	118695  

Last edited by alansplace; 02-03-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #3307
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Quote:
Here are all 7!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #3308
Tarana
Fanatic
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, Kindle HDX, Nook HD+
Can someone PM me and explain how to change the covers on mine? I think Calibre just shows the cover you import, but doesn't change it on the book itself. I don't want to take up unnecessary thread space since everybody else seems to know.

It was funny. I got my sister a used library copy of one of the later HP books and it was this thick thing and she said 'really'? I had bought all of them on audiobook as they came out (replacing the first 2, which were tape, with CDs later on) and that is how we all 'read' them.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-03-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #3309
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Can someone PM me and explain how to change the covers on mine? I think Calibre just shows the cover you import, but doesn't change it on the book itself. I don't want to take up unnecessary thread space since everybody else seems to know.
calibre changes the cover on the copy it pushes to your reader. You can also use Polish eBook to update the library copy itself.

The metadata is not normally applied to the copy in the library so you will have the original version available, and only gets updated when necessary, or when specifically requested.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #3310
alansplace
Wizard

Cool "Harry Potter" Books Getting New Covers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

It was funny. I got my sister a used library copy of one of the later HP books and it was this thick thing and she said 'really'? I had bought all of them on audiobook as they came out (replacing the first 2, which were tape, with CDs later on) and that is how we all 'read' them.
If you're talking about a .mobi then it'll get put in the .mobi when you add the .mobi to your kindle using calibre. The epubs will do that too, when you put it on the nook, but can also be installed into the epub with the calibre feature, polish. IIRC a .mobi to .mobi concersion will put the new file in the .mobi and, of course, an .epub to .mobi conversion will add the new cover to the .mobi.

Last edited by alansplace; 02-03-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #3311
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you're talking about a .mobi then it'll get put in the .mobi when you add the .mobi to your kindle using calibre. The epubs will do that too, when you put it on the nook, but can also be installed into the epub with the calibre feature, polish.

If we're talking about a MOBI it won't get the cover, period. MOBI doesn't recognize cover metadata, and must be updated by performing a full MOBI-to-MOBI conversion (or reconverting from the updated EPUB that spawned it, if available).

For this reason, amongst others, you should go with the AZW3 format, which is an update to MOBI and is a different but equivalent format to EPUB.

Since this is Harry Potter we are talking about, you should've gotten the EPUB from Pottermore, and that's what you should be working with. Make sure you are using AZW3 on your Kindles.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #3312
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
Quote:
Here are all 7!
Quote:
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #3313
alansplace
Wizard

Cool .mobi & AZW3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If we're talking about a MOBI it won't get the cover, period. MOBI doesn't recognize cover metadata, and must be updated by performing a full MOBI-to-MOBI conversion (or reconverting from the updated EPUB that spawned it, if available).
INCORRECT! A 'send to device' command puts the new cover into the book being sent in .mobi format but doesn't change the .mobi book in the Calibre library.

Quote:
For this reason, amongst others, you should go with the AZW3 format, which is an update to MOBI and is a different but equivalent format to EPUB.
I disgree, as I personally dislike the incorrect formatting that the Kindle software imposes upon the text.

Quote:
Since this is Harry Potter we are talking about, you should've gotten the EPUB from Pottermore, and that's what you should be working with. Make sure you are using AZW3 on your Kindles.
I HATE AZW3 and will not use it or recommend its use to other Kindle users!

Last edited by alansplace; 02-03-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #3314
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:
INCORRECT! A 'send to device' command puts the new cover into the book being sent in .mobi format but doesn't change the .mobi book in the Calibre library.

I disgree, as I personally dislike the incorrect formatting that the Kindle software imposes upon the text.

I HATE AZW3 and will not use it or recommend its use to other Kindle users!

The thumbnail used for books that came from Amazon and still have a valid Amazon ASIN will be uploaded by calibre, but a converted and sideloaded book will have the cover extracted from the .mobi; if that thumbnail is uploaded by calibre, it doesn't matter what the actual ebook-file's cover is, your Kindle will use the thumbnail on the home screen anyway. However, I can assure you that either way the .mobi itself will retain the same cover until you perform a mobi-to-mobi conversion. (IIRC it will add a new cover at the beginning and you will have two covers, one after the other.)

This is a well-known and documented fact about the .mobi format!

As a result, the following problem appears -- an amazon book will get a new thumbnail, so you think the cover has been replaced, however, a book converted to mobi and "updated" with a new cover will staunchly refuse to be updated. This becomes clearer when you look at the actual "first page" of the .mobi ebook, which will be the cover image. It hasn't changed either time.

I don't know what problems you have with the azw3 format, but clearly those are a matter of preference -- the only difference I've noticed between the two while reading is .mobi doesn't split hyphens across lines.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-03-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:10 AM   #3315
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Skin Game release date countdown:

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy