Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #3151
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles 2, KB, PW 1, PW 2, Voyage, & Fire 2 -- iPad mini
Cool Changes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
It wasn't just the shift from urban to high fantasy, but also the change that happened in Kara Gillian's character that bothered me.
I guess that we'll just have to agree to disagree. You see I don't think it shifted any more towards high fantasy than The Dresden Files did by Harry getting rehabilitated...
Spoiler:
(from being dead)
...in Arctis Tor. And I don't see anything inherently wrong with a character changing over time, after all Harry (and all of the major characters) has changed and grown over time.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-08-2014 at 03:52 PM.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #3152
red_phoenix
Turning up the heat
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I guess that we'll just have to agree to disagree. You see I don't think it shifted any more towards high fantasy than The Dresden Files did by Harry getting rehabilitated
Spoiler:
(from being dead)
in Arctis Tor. And I don't see anything inherently wrong with a character changing over time, after all Harry (and all of the major characters) has changed and grown over time.

Spoiler alert?
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #3153
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
139 until Skin Game!!!

I got the email from Amazon this morning. No pre-order yet though
I see a pre-order option. But only the hardcover, since the ebook isn't listed at all as far as I can see. There is the hidden ebook page., but that doesn't show anything yet.

This WAS from the US site, though... I can never keep track of who is in another country unless they list it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #3154
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I guess that we'll just have to agree to disagree. You see I don't think it shifted any more towards high fantasy than The Dresden Files did..<snip>. And I don't see anything inherently wrong with a character changing over time, after all Harry (and all of the major characters) has changed and grown over time.

Oh I definitely don't have an issue with character development, I just like to see it happen in a positive direction!
Spoiler:
Although I had lost a lot of interest in the book by that point, I would have been a lot more forgiving if Kara hadn't slept with her teacher. I like a main character with integrity.
I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the new book.

Last edited by treadlightly; 01-08-2014 at 04:09 PM.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #3155
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kara Gillian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Oh I definitely don't have an issue with character development, I just like to see it happen in a positive direction!
Spoiler:
Although I had lost a lot of interest in the book by that point, I would have been a lot more forgiving if Kara hadn't slept with her teacher. I like a main character with integrity.
I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the new book.
So far I've read 9 chapters and I'm enjoying it.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #3156
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Skin Game Release...

138 DAYS!!!

Or 4 months and 18 days...
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #3157
alansplace
Wizard

Cool ConNooga and WyrdCon 2014

Quoted from jim-butcher.com
Quote:
Jan 07, 2014 - ConNooga and WyrdCon 2014

We can add two more events to Jim’s 2014 schedule!

First, Jim will be heading to Chatanooga next month for Con Nooga! Con Nooga is located at the Historical Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel and Chattanooga Convention Center, and will take place February 21st through 23rd.

Historical Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel
1400 Market Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402

Chatanooga Convention Center
1150 Carter St
Chattanooga, TN 37402

Additionally, Jim had such a great time at WyrdCon last year, he’s returning for this year’s madness!

WyrdCon 2014
May 22nd–26th, 2014
The Westin Los Angeles Airport
5400 West Century Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90045
(310) 216-5858

Read about the various membership levels and buy your pass through their Kickstarter.

Jim will be doing two panels accessible to all WyrdCon attendees (and webcast for everyone who pledges to their Kickstarter), plus a Master Class for the most serious writers. Jim’s LARP situation is still TBA, but I expect WyrdCon will keep folks updated on that score!

In case you missed our prior announcement, Jim will also be touring through Australia during most of April. A full list of Jim’s 2014 con dates is available on the forum! We should have news of Jim’s Skin Game signing tour in the next few months.

Posted by priscellie at 4:14 pm
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #3158
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-T1
I am hoping he will hop over the water to Europe and the Netherlands, but considering only 4 books were translated, I do not have high hopes...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #3159
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Jim Butcher is teaching a class at Wyrd Con

Quote:

Professional Writing Skills, Lead by Jim Butcher

Jim Butcher will personally lead a course in professional writing. This six hour course will provide significant experience for those interested in taking the step towards becoming a professional author.

Topics to be discussed include:

Last edited by alansplace; 01-10-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #3160
AlbertaCowboy
Proud Daddy!
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300, PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
I'd LOVE to attend that.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #3161
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I'd LOVE to attend that.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #3162
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Skin Game Release...

137 Days!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #3163
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Master Classes at Wyrd Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I'd LOVE to attend that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
Link to Master Classes at Wyrd Con.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-10-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #3164
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Jim Butcher quotes...

.............Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim23.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	117829
“My magic. That was at the heart
of me. It was a manifestation of
what I believed, what I lived. It
came from my desire to see to it
that someone stood between the
darkness and the people it would
devour.”
― Jim Butcher, Fool Moon

Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #3165
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Skin Game release date countdown:

A little late, since it was Shabbos and I couldn't post.

I will post an update in a few hours, too.

I'm actually surprised at you, Lea, for not beating me to it.

Anyway, I was just reading about you -- I just finished Bombshells, and it was pretty awesome!

Spoiler:
I always wondered just what Molly could've done for the svartalves, that they owed her so much.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy