Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #3031
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2, iPad Mini
Cool Introducing Hagrid...

Quote:
.......A low rumbling sound had broken the silence around them. It grew steadily louder as they looked up and down the street for some sign of a headlight; it swelled to a roar as they both looked up at the sky – and a huge motorbike fell out of the air and landed on the road in front of them.

.......If the motorbike was huge, it was nothing to the man sitting astride it. He was almost twice as tall as a normal man and at least five times as wide. He looked simply too big to be allowed, and so wild – long tangles of bushy black hair and beard hid most of his face, he had hands the size of dustbin lids and his feet in their leather boots were like baby dolphins. In his vast, muscular arms he was holding a bundle of blankets.
I've always liked this initial description of Hagrid!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #3032
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
I'm reading Steelheart and Mitosis, by Brandon Sanderson.

First time, and WOW he is a brilliant writer!

At some point I will get to finding me a copy of Dangerous Women, but I'm in the middle of too many books right now. Maybe tomorrow. (By which I really mean in 2 days, since it practically IS tomorrow!)

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-14-2013 at 10:03 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #3033
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 (Wifi Only), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

At some point I will get to finding me a copy of Dangerous Women, but I'm in the middle of too many books right now. Maybe tomorrow. (By which I really mean in 2 days, since it practically IS tomorrow!)
I'll be reading Steelheart next month as part of a Speculative Fiction group on GoodReads. I'm looking forward to it.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #3034
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook HD+, Xperia Ion
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Glad to hear that response, as Steelheart is on my TBR (well, to-be-listened-to) list, too. I've enjoyed quite a few of Sanderson's books and I'm chomping at the bit for more Stormlight Archives, but the premise and intended audience (YA) of Steelheart didn't grab me. I'm looking forward to it a bit more now. I'll probably finish up Red Seas Under Red Skies, do two more Alera books, then Steelheart.

When I find/make time to read with my eyeballs, I'm reading The Sisters Brothers, a dark comedy about gunslingers for hire in the old west, which is brilliant so far. Dark comedy isn't always my favorite, but there's plenty of sympathy for the characters here.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #3035
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Jim Butcher quotes...

...............Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim15.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	116755
“You rush a miracle worker, you get
lousy miracles!”
― Jim Butcher, Small Favor

Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #3036
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
for the festive avatar Alan.

Right now Legend by David Gemmel, after that either Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch or the next on my way through the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold (that would be the Miles Errant omnibus).
'm reading Troy: Shield of Thunder by David Gemmel, the second in the trilogy.

This series is the first I've read by him, I was sorry to hear he passed away, I really like his writing style.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #3037
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-T1
I am still rereading Dresden. Into Turn Coat at the moment, just in the scene where Harry and Stacy are visiting Lara and something makes a surprise entrance...

Sofar I have only read the Wheel of Time books from Sanderson at the moment. His other books are on my pile though. After the reread first some Jack Vance books though. Been too long since I read them.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #3038
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Official coverart for Skin Game!!!

Release date will follow soon!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #3039
treadlightly
Guru
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Official coverart for Skin Game!!!
Well that's quite a big gun you've got there Harry.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #3040
Toxaris
Wizard

Maybe he is happy to see Nick?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #3041
AlbertaCowboy
Proud Daddy!
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300, PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Well that's quite a big gun you've got there Harry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Maybe he is happy to see Nick?

As soon as I saw the picture, the whole classic "Dirty Harry" monologue started going through my head in James Marster's voice.

"Feel lucky, punk?"
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #3042
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Larger (800x1200) version of the new cover

Click the image to enlarge

Last edited by alansplace; 12-18-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #3043
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook HD+, Xperia Ion
Re: the cover blurb, does being the dean of "contemporary" urban fantasy distinguish Butcher from all those classical urban fantasists?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #3044
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Dangerous Women

I had some trouble deciding on what to read next since whatever I tried just did not appeal to me. So I finally remembered Dangerous Women. I had only read BOMBSHELLS and then put the rest of it aside for later. Well now seems to be later enough! It begins with a story by Joe Abercrombie, who I've never read before and I was immediately drawn to it and I'm enjoying it a lot so far!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #3045
alansplace
Wizard

Cool British cover - even larger! (1635 × 2604)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Click the image to enlarge
Click image to enlarge

Last edited by alansplace; 12-18-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy