Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #2821
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2nd Gen
Cool Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
That is a serious suggestion. Might come to nought but so what I think he might consider it especially if you made it clear you expected no money. He might even go all crazy and give you money.

I am sure it would amuse you to write a forward. It could be as simple as a favorite quote from each story and we know you are good at picking them out.

Worst case, we would all read your forward and perhaps even chortle a bit.

Helen
Helen. I don't believe that there's yet enough content yet available for a publisher to be interested in publishing a second short story collection yet and besides Jim has already mentioned that he wants one to be published when enough stories are available (the publishing rights also must be available). He's even mentioned a title. IIRC it's either More Jobs or Side Jobs II.

Librarian of Trivia, Emeritus
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #2822
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Maybe alansplace should contact Jim Butcher and tell him he has one compiled and ready for publishing. I'll bet alansplace already has a cover and only needs to write a forward.

Helen
I too have a compiled ePub eBook with the shorts missing from Side Jobs. I know it would sell. But it would also drop the sales for the anthologies with these stories in them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #2823
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Helen. I don't believe that there's yet enough content yet available for a publisher to be interested in publishing a second short story collection yet and besides Jim has already mentioned that he wants one to be published when enough stories are available (the publishing rights also must be available). He's even mentioned a title. IIRC it's either More Jobs or Side Jobs II.

I have s title that I like that would work for another collection...More Jobs on the Side.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #2824
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I too have a compiled ePub eBook with the shorts missing from Side Jobs. I know it would sell. But it would also drop the sales for the anthologies with these stories in them.
Not saying you are wrong as I don't know. For myself, I often read anthologies when I am looking for a new author, and I have bought anthologies based on an accreditation in a collection from one author whose books I enjoy thinking it will lead to some other things I enjoy and so far this is the case.

Speaking for myself only, I wouldn't buy an anthology for one story unless I thought I would like most of the rest. For example if a Dresden file story was published in a YA paranormal romance anthology. I would be far more likely to wait for a collection and even more likely to not give a damn. Too many books, too little time

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #2825
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone & nook Glow
I wouldn't even need a collection. I'd be happy to pay $1.99 a pop for short stories released on their own.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #2826
AlbertaCowboy
Proud Daddy!
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300, PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I wouldn't even need a collection. I'd be happy to pay $1.99 a pop for short stories released on their own.
I agree wholeheartedly. I just can't be bothered to pay for a compilation of short stories where I'll only read one or two of them.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #2827
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
I'm sure Jim Butcher already has a compilation of all the new stories (it would hardly be difficult to make) plus tentative covers, but I would definitely love to see a foreword written by the preeminent Dresden fan, our Fearless Leader alansplace. That would just be awesome!

And maybe he does need a cover too.

The Irrational Optimist's Club believes Skin Game will be released in:
21 DAYS!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #2828
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Golly-gee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I'm sure Jim Butcher already has a compilation of all the new stories (it would hardly be difficult to make) plus tentative covers, but I would definitely love to see a foreword written by the preeminent Dresden fan, our Fearless Leader alansplace. That would just be awesome!...
Golly-gee!

Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #2829
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Jim Butcher quotes...

“My gast was pretty well flabbered”
– Jim Butcher, Ghost Story

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #2830
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Ghoul Goblin Collected Hardcover Available Soon!

Quote:
Nov 12, 2013 - Ghoul Goblin Collected Hardcover Available Soon!

We are pleased to present you with an extended preview of The Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin, here now with the first 13 story and art pages!

This all new original story takes place in the official continuity of the Dresden Files novels, subsequent to the events in Fool Moon, and is co-written by Jim Butcher and Mark Powers, with art by Joe Cooper.

In Ghoul Goblin, Harry heads to a small, isolated Missouri town terrorized by monsters out of the Nevernever. The singularly unfortunate Talbot family has suffered a curse that has decimated their number for generations, and only our hero can save them… that is, if he can survive hostile lawmen, the dark secrets of townsfolk, an ancient guardian spirit, and two deadly carnivores! Can Dresden cleanse the Talbot bloodline of its curse without a blood sacrifice of his own?

This 152-page hardcover graphic novel will be in stores everywhere Nov 26th.

Jim encourages you to go and order it from your favorite bookstore!
ISBN-13: 978-1-60690-438-1
Diamond code: OCT131064

Here’s your preview! (Click each page for a larger image - jim-butcher.com)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #2831
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
The Irrational Optimist's Club believes Skin Game will be released in:
19 DAYS!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #2832
alansplace
Wizard

“The skull’s jaws slowly parted like
a snake preparing to strike. “You
who are barely more than an
apprentice—you will die for
mocking me.”

“Yeah. But I will never, ever throw
in with you,” I snarled back. “I
will never be like you or your
precious Master or that nutball
Corpsetaker. So take your offer of
a relationship and shove it up your
schutzstaffel.””
– Jim Butcher, Ghost Story

Old 11-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #2833
alansplace
Wizard

...............Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim.png
Views:	12
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	115218
““We are not going to die."

Butters stared up at me, pale, his
eyes terrified. "We're not?"

No. And do you know why?" He
shook his head. "Because Thomas
is too pretty to die. And because
I'm too stubborn to die." I hauled
on the shirt even harder. "And
most of all because tomorrow is
Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka
will never die.””
― Jim Butcher, Dead Beat

Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #2834
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
Just saw this on Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skin-Game-Dr...dp/035650090X/

Pre-order open there, UK release date of Jan 16, 2014.
CWatkinsNash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #2835
alansplace
Wizard

...............Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim2.png
Views:	19
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	115219
“I went over to the ruined building, where
the monster thing was groaning through its
death. I heaved aside a piece of rubble and
pulled a pale blue bathroom rug, stained
with dust and weird purple blood, out of