Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #2191
AlbertaCowboy
Proud Daddy!
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300, PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
As much as I love the series, it's not for everyone.
I've tried and tried to get my wife into it. I tell her, hey there's vampires, and tough women cops and even the character we named our daughter after! (At this point shes says "what? You never told me we were naming Molly after a FANTASY character!" Whoops, too late mwa ha ha).

Unfortunately, she just didn't like the first half of the first book.

I've had to learn to just let it be. Besides, fair is fair, I'm not gonna read Twilight, so she doesnt have to read Dresden.

I agree with Alan though. If it doesn't grab you in the first couple of books, chances are it's not going to at all. Life's too short to read what you don't like!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #2192
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
My first reaction to SouthernSun's post was to ignore her because she was trolling. But being the curious person that I am, I found and read her other posts since her recent arrival on MobileReads. There was no trolling going on in any of these posts. Then eschwartz posted his snarky reply to SouthernSun and I decided that I needed to comment. I'll counter with this:

All fourteen of the Dresden Files novels that I've read have been quite able to stand on their own without any real need to lean on any previous novel. However, since there is an overall story arc to the series reading a single novel does necessarily mean that there are nuances that a reader misses out on. In my opinion this doesn't detract from the readibility of the individual novel.

My thoughts as concerning SouthernSun's question are:

Sure, you could do that, but only you can decide if it's worth the effort to do so. If it were me, I'd simply give up on the series in question as I read for my personal enjoyment and if I'm not enjoying what I'm reading I would simply stop reading it and try reading something else. After all there's a whole lot of material to choose from.

Enjoy!

I personally can't stand the thought of having big gaps in the story arc -- even though they "can" be read standalone, the hints at stuff that I'm missing would drive me crazy. If I really can't handle the first few, maybe I shouldn't be reading any of them.

Maybe it's just me. After all, I researched the chronological order of several series published out of order before reading them -- in a somewhat pedantic fashion. (love that word!) Clearly I am just a purist when it comes to chronological series integrity, so feel free to ignore me if that's just not your style.

On the other hand,

You have been . . . . WARNED!!

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-17-2013 at 12:17 PM.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #2193
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I agree with Alansplace and CWatkinsNash, that if you don't enjoy them don't read them. I found the first books okay and the 3rd downright annoying. But I had been given an omnibus a bit later on in the series so I carried on at a snails pace of about a book every two months. And they did get better IMO.

I see nothing wrong with jumping ahead, although I like to read things in order where possible. Before ebooks it wasn't always possible, especially when borrowing from the library a lot, and we all survived.

I started the Dresden files because I really liked the short stories I read, and AFAIK they were well along in the series and reading them first ruined nothing for me. So you should just do as you please, I know I would.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #2194
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2nd Gen
Cool Jim’s SDCC Schedule

Quoted from jim-butcher.com
Quote:
Jul 17, 2013 - Jim’s SDCC Schedule

We announced Jim’s schedule for San Diego Comic Con a few weeks ago, but here’s a reminder, with a couple tweaks!

San Diego Comic Con 2013
San Diego, CA
July 17-21

Thursday, July 18:

4-5pm: Individual Signing in the Autograph Area, Table AA07

Saturday, July 20:

10-11am: Urban Fantasy: Myth and Magic in the City, Room 7AB

Quote:
Paris, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Tucson, and cities of our own imagination come to life when tales of myth and magic are blended with the urban landscape. These stories are collectively known as Urban Fantasy, and many of today’s popular authors are adding their otherworldly ingredients to the melting pots of modern (and not-so-modern) society. Join the panelists as they discuss the art of writing Urban Fantasy.

Panelists: Jim Butcher (Cold Days), Max Gladstone (Three Parts Dead), Kevin Hearne (The Iron Druid Chronicles), Richard Kadrey (Kill City Blues), Marlene Perez (Strange Fates), Liesel Schwarz (A Conspiracy of Alchemists). Moderator: Diana Gill, Executive Editor, Harper Voyager US
11:30 AM—12:30 PM: Group Autographing Session in the Autograph Area, Table AA09.

Last edited by alansplace; 07-18-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #2195
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Skin Game release date:
138 DAYS!

And Chosen will be out in
29 DAYS!
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #2196
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Dresden Moment #4 - "Friendly"

Jul 10, 2013

A clip of a Harry Dresden and Murphy from The Dresden Files Fan Filming.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #2197
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Unfortunately, she just didn't like the first half of the first book.
Personally, if you are going to have someone jump into the Dresden series cold, I would maybe start them out with the second book, Fool Moon.

I always felt that Storm Front was really a throw-away that Jim was using to just work out his ideas and style to see how things go. Fool Moon was basically just a re-hash of the same inter-character relations with a better story line. (Drug-dealing warlock or marauding werewolves; who wouldn't enjoy the latter?)

In fact until some recent occurrences in the series that focused attention back to the side characters and the situation in the first book, it could be easily read out-of-place as a catch-up between other books once you're really into the series.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #2198
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Favorite Dresden Files Quotes

Quoting GoodReads Favorite Dresden Files Quotes - message 169: by Zeenat - Jul 09, 2013 03:15pm
Quote:
Now I want to go back out and pull out my favorite quotes, at least the ones I can remember:

From Grave Peril:

“Holy shit,” I breathed. “Hellhounds.”
“Harry,” Michael said sternly. “You know I hate it when you swear.”
“You’re right. Sorry. Holy shit,” I breathed, “heckhounds."

From Summer Knight:

“Then I will personally make fun of you every day for the rest of your life,” I said. “I will call you a sissy girl in front of everyone you know, tie frilly aprons on your car, and lurk in the parking lot at CPD and whistle and tell you to shake it, baby. Every. Single. Day.”

Death Masks:

“Do you love money then, Mister Dresden?”
I picked up a napkin from one side of the platter, and wiped my mouth. “I used to think I loved it. But now I realize that it’s just dependency.”

Let he who hath never worn parachute pants cast the first stone.

“And the war would go on.”
“It’s been going on for nearly two years,” I said. “It’s mostly been cat and mouse, a couple of raids, fights in back alleys. It’s like the Cold War, only with fewer Republicans.”

“Your blood is all that will satisfy many of my peers.”
“I can donate,” I said. “Let’s say once every two months. You provide cookies and orange juice.”

"I briefly debated wolfing the second sandwich, just to get it out of the way, but I took the more sophisticated option instead. I put it in my jacket pocket for later"

Blood Rites:

“Good,” I said. “ ’ Cause if I went to all the trouble of starting a war and you didn’t want to participate it would hurt my feelings.”

Proven Guilty:

“I wonder if he’s an actual breed.”
Charity glanced over her shoulder and said, “He looks something like a Caucasian.”
“Impossible,” I said. “He has rhythm and he can dance.”

"Children are a precious gift, but they belong to no one but themselves. They are only lent us a little while.”

White Knight:

“Guests get invited,” I said. “You’re more like a vacuum cleaner salesman who managed to talk his way inside for a demonstration and just won’t leave.”

Changes:

“Pretty sure that Roman Catholic priests don’t have peeps,” I said gravely. “Too trendy and ephemeral. Like automobiles. And the printing press.”

“So,” I said, “your dad is the Red King.”
“Indeed. He created me, as he created all of the Thirteen and the better part of our nobility.”
“One big bloodsucking Brady Bunch, huh? But I’ll bet he missed all the PTA meetings.”

Ghost Story:

My gast was pretty well flabbered.

Chicago. It’s insane and violent and corrupt and vital and artistic and noble and cruel and wonderful. It’s full of greed and hope and hate and desire and excitement and pain and happiness. The air sings with screams and laughter, with sirens, with angry shouts, with gunshots, with music. It’s an impossible city, at war with itself, every horrible and wonderful thing blending together to create something terrifying and lovely and utterly unique.

Cold Days:
The next-best thing to a millennium’s worth of estrangement. Dysfunction on an epic scale. This was exactly the kind of family tension into which sane people do not inject themselves.
“I’m going to inject myself into your family business,” I said.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #2199
AlbertaCowboy
Proud Daddy!
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300, PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
One of my all time favorites ever was from "Cold Days". As soon as I read it, I thought, yup, not only is that Harry, but man, it applies to EVERYTHING!

"The only good thing about having your back to the wall is that it makes it really easy to choose which way you’re going to go."
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #2200
MsLydgate
MsLydgate began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
[cut the long list of Dresden Files quotes]

I don't understand. Where's "Polka will never die"?
MsLydgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #2201
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Furies of Calderon and Pokemon

Quote:

Jul 18, 2008

Hey I was in the pokemon mood today and also the book is Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher, check it out!!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #2202
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Favorite Dresden Files Quotes

Quote:
"We are not going to die."

Butters stared up at me, pale, his eyes terrified. "We're not?"

"No. And do you know why?" He shook his head. "Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die." I hauled on the shirt even harder. "And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka will never die.”
—Jim Butcher, Dead Beat
One that I like a lot!

Last edited by alansplace; 07-20-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 07-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #2203
alansplace
Wizard

Cool James Potter and the Morrigan Web: Book 4 Teaser Trailer

July 7th, HA!

Quote:
May 24, 2013 - gnormanlippert

The long awaited book 4 in the million-read James Potter Series will be released July 7th. Visit www.jamespotterseries.com for info, updates and release news.

As James Potter returns to Hogwarts in the wake of "the Night of the Unveiling", he discovers that even in the protected centre of the magical world, nothing is quite the same.

Despite the Ministry's efforts, the Vow of Secrecy is crumbling the world over, eroding age-old safeguards and threatening both magical and Muggle governments with dark magic conspiracies.

Amidst this turmoil, a gravely suspicious new headmaster, Rechtor Grudje, institutes Draconian security measures hinting more at dictatorial control than safety.

At the same time, an international exchange program allows students from Hogwarts, Alma Aleron, Durmstrang, Beauxbatons and a secret fifth school to attend each others' classes, introducing an entirely new social dynamic and potential for exploration. Along with Alma Aleron's Zane Walker comes a new face to Hogwarts, the infuriating yet intriguing Nastasia Hendrix, who harbors her own complicated-- and far-reaching-- secrets.

As the school year progresses, James' world is gradually overshadowed by a growing danger known as the Morrigan Web, a mythical, magical doomsday weapon which threatens to tumble the entire world, Muggle and magical alike, into chaos at the hands of the vicious Lady of the Lake.

In the centre of it all, Petra Morganstern and her sister Izzy-- the Sister Fates of the Lady of the Lake-- move quietly in the shadows, ever out of sight, weaving their own mysterious master plan.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #2204
alansplace
Wizard

Cool GoodReads, Dresden Files discussion, Skin Game

Quoted From GoodReads, Dresden Files discussion, Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15)

Quote:
message 62: by Louise
Jul 19, 2013 01:20am

Dec 3. is the releasedate amazon has for Skin Game

message 63: by John
Jul 19, 2013 08:36am

amazon.com does not even have a listing for Skin Game that I can see.

amazon.co.uk does have it listed as Dec. 3, but that looks likely to be a mistake -- why would amazon.com not have the release date for an American-based book? (I have seen cases where amazon.co.uk has a book first when a British-based publishing office is handling the book, but not for an American one)

message 64: by Andrew
Jul 19, 2013 10:02pm

Just found a clip of Jim Butcher reading the first four chapters of Skin Games on Youtube!

http://youtu.be/5-p_CTynqd8

message 65: by Megan
Jul 20, 2013 09:12am

I predict Murphy is finally going to accept Fidelacchius and Thomas is going to take up Amoracchius, which is going to lead to us having more information about the source of the White Courts's power and why they are always being referred to as half breeds. I can't wait!

message 66: by Gary
19 hours, 4 min ago

really kind of odd that less than 6 months away and we can't pre-order it yet. i don't feel right about Jim's books unless I can pre-order them years in advance.

message 67: by Zeenat
18 hours, 7 min ago

well first two chapters are going to be in the paperback of cold days, so I'll predict 6 months after that. So Marchish?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #2205
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
This is posted to set right the recent lack of Mister-related quotes from the Dresden-verse:

Quote:
I had found Mister in a garbage can about three years before, a mewling kitten, with his tail torn off by a dog or a car - I was never sure which, but Mister hated both, and would either attack or flee from them on sight.
Mister had recovered his dignity over the next few months, and shortly came to believe that he was the apartment's tenant, and I was someone he barely tolerated to share the space with him.

Despite my struggles, Mister had been an understanding soul, and I eventually came to realize that I was a part of his little family, and by his gracious consent was allowed to remain in his apartment. Cats. Go figure.

I remembered meeting the cat as a kitten, scrambling in a trash bin, skinny and near starvation. He'd been my roommate, or possibly landlord, ever since I'd come to Chicago. He was thirty pounds of feline arrogance. He was always good about showing up when I was upset, giving me the chance to lower my blood pressure by paying attention to him. I'm sure he thought it a saintly gesture of generosity.
It's a cat thing.

Mister is an enormous grey cat. I mean, enormous. There are dogs smaller than Mister. He weighs in at just over thirty pounds, and there isn't an undue amount of fat on his frame. I think maybe his father was a wildcat or a lynx or something.

He prowled back into the apartment, curling around my legs and purring like a diesel engine. Mister is thirty pounds or so of tomcat. I figure one of his parents must have been a saber-toothed tiger.

Mister, my bobtailed grey tomcat, came flying out of the darkened apartment as I opened the door. He slammed his shoulder into my legs, startled me half to death, and nearly put me on my ass. He's the next best thing to thirty pounds of cat, and when he hits me with his shoulder block of greeting I know it.

We got back to my apartment sometime before noon. Murphy helped me down the stairs and unlocked the door for me. Mister came running up and hurled himself against her legs in greeting. Maybe being short gives her better leverage or something, since she didn't really wobble when Mister rammed her, like I do. Or maybe it's the aikido.

"Mister's usually running right up to me when I come home. I let him out early this morning. What if he got hit by a car? What if a dog got him?"
"He's as big as a horse, Harry. I pity the dog that tries something."

"Eating small children again, Mister?"

"Mister got out, but I don't know where he's at. I mean, I know that a lost cat isn't exactly a priority right now but..." I shrugged. "I guess I'm worried about him."
"If he misses his feeding," Murphy said wryly, "I'm more worried about me. Mister is the closest thing to a mountain lion for a few hundred miles. He'll be fine."

"I like dogs. They give Mister something to snack on."

Mister regarded me with that mystic-distance focus in his feline eyes. Or maybe that was the look he got when his brain waves flatlined. Either way, it was neither helpful nor reassuring.

Mister was a cat, and cats generally considered it the obligation of the universe to provide shelter, sustenance, and amusement as required. I think Mister considered it beneath his dignity to plan for the future.

Ramirez produced a little cloth sack and tossed it up to Mister, where he lay in his favored spot atop one of my bookcases. Mister immediately went ecstatic, pinning the sack down with one paw and rubbing his whiskers all over it.
"I disapprove of recreational drug use," I told Ramirez sternly.
He rolled his eyes. "Okay, Dad. But since we all know who really runs this house I'll just keep on paying tribute lest I incur His Nibs's imperial displeasure."
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy