Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #2011
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2, iPad Mini
Cool stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Finished it last night, myself. I'm looking forward to the next installment!
Yeah, the one we have to wait for till the end of August!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
No worries.

Perhaps if I lurked less and posted more there would not have been a misunderstanding.
Good thought participate more!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #2012
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Skin Game release date:
200 DAYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Oh no you didn't just steal my countdown!!!!
You are slacking again... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for Taken to arrive at the library for me, but it's taking way too long. Can't wait for Chosen to come out -- on August 27, 2013.

Hmm, maybe we should count down for that as well?

"Chosen" release countdown:
92 DAYS!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #2013
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool stealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Oh no you didn't just steal my countdown!!!!
Speaking of stealing!

Releases today:
Storm Front (A Derrick Storm Novel): Castle (Hardcover) Richard Castle

Old 05-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #2014
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Speaking of stealing!

Releases today:
Storm Front (A Derrick Storm Novel): Castle (Hardcover) Richard Castle

Still haven't read any of those, are they good (if one likes the series)?
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #2015
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Richard Castle books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Still haven't read any of those, are they good (if one likes the series)?
I've read all 4 Niki Heat books, the first was pretty good and the next 3 were even better. I've read the 1st of the Derrick Storm books and it was also pretty good. The one announced in my post is the 4th book. I plan on reading the rest relatively soon.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #2016
alansplace
Wizard

Cool DANA STABENOW LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN TO BUILD STORYKNIFE RETREAT IN HOMER

Quoted from storyknife.org
Quote:
Launch!

Thursday Apr 11, 2013

WRITER DANA STABENOW LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN TO BUILD STORYKNIFE RETREAT IN HOMER
First Phase of Campaign Aims to Raise $1 Million to Develop Alaska Retreat for Women Writers

HOMER, ALASKA (April 11, 2013) – Prolific author of the Kate Shugak series of mystery novels and Homer resident Dana Stabenow announced today the launch of her campaign to raise $1 million to build Alaska’s only retreat for female writers, Storyknife Writers Retreat. Storyknife will be only the second residency of its kind in the world.

To kick off the campaign Stabenow is launching a crowd-sourced funding round on Storyknife’s website, www.storyknife.org, and on her fan sites. The organization is accepting donations of all denominations but a list of specific funding levels and benefits is also available on the site.

The $1 million fundraising campaign is the first phase in a much larger effort to raise a total of $21 million to cover the costs of developing the property and ensuring its continuing legacy through a $20 million endowment.

THE INSPIRATION
The first thing that Stabenow’s writing ever earned her was not the sale of an article or a book. It was a residency at the Hedgebrook Farm retreat for women writers on Whidbey Island, Washington in Puget Sound.

The author calls her time at Hedgebrook the seminal moment of her writing career. “It was the first time anyone ever acted like writing was a real job,” she says. Stabenow’s vision for Storyknife is to pass that gift on to a new generation of female writers.

“So far as we can discover,” Stabenow says, “Hedgebrook Farm is the only writers retreat for women in existence.” Storyknife will double the amount of residences available for women writers worldwide, and give women writers a unique space and time to hone their craft.

The Retreat takes its name from the English translation for the Yupik word yaaruin or “storyknife.” Traditionally, Yupik girls would use yaaruin made from wood, bone, antler or ivory, to carve stories in snow and in riverbanks to amuse and instruct their younger siblings.

Dana says, “I came across mention of storyknives in one of the early explorer diaries and I couldn’t rest until I knew more. As a traditional Alaska Native vehicle for storytelling, it is the perfect metaphor for what we hope to accomplish at Storyknife. I’m hoping we get a lot of Alaska Native women writers applying for residencies at Storyknife, too.”

THE RESIDENCY
Writers will be admitted to the residency after a rigorous application process, including statements of need and samples of work. Upon successful admission, writers will come to Storyknife for two-to-eight-week residencies to focus on their diverse projects in uninterrupted peace, an atmosphere made possible by the Storyknife endowment. “Following in the tradition set by Hedgebrook,” Dana says, “Storyknife residents will not be allowed to wash so much as a teacup. Their job here will be to write.”

With the exception of travel to and from Anchorage, all expenses for writers in residence will be covered, including a specially curated Alaskan adventure of each writer’s choosing. Examples of these once-in-a-lifetime experiences include halibut fishing, ocean kayaking, bear viewing, and flight-seeing.

THE RETREAT
Located just outside Homer, the Storyknife Writers Retreat will boast six private cabins and a main house dotted around a six-acre property commanding 180-degree views of lower Cook Inlet.

Sustainability and supporting local economies will be an ongoing focus for the Retreat. Meals will feature produce from the property’s own garden, with locally supplied moose and salmon as other culinary mainstays.

DANA STABENOW
Born in Anchorage, Alaska on March 27, 1952, Stabenow is one of Alaska’s most prolific living authors. Stabenow has written 29 novels, numerous short stories, several anthologies, and contributed the Alaska Traveler column to Alaska magazine for five years.

Throughout her career she has amassed critical, public and civic acclaim, most notably the Edgar Award for Best Paperback Original for A Cold Day for Murder in 1993 and being named Alaska’s Artist of the Year in the 2007 Governor’s Awards for the Arts and Humanities. She won a 2012 Nero Award for literary excellence in the mystery genre for Though Not Dead.

About Storyknife Writers Retreat
Storyknife Writers Retreat is a non-profit organization with the mandate to build and operate a retreat and residency program in Homer, Alaska for aspiring female writers. Its 501(c)3 application is pending. Founded by author Dana Stabenow, Storyknife will double the residencies available exclusively to women in the literary arts, from six cabins (Hedgebrook Writers Retreat) to twelve (Storyknife). The organization is managed by a board of directors and is funded through the support of donors. To make donations or learn more, visit http://www.storyknife.org.

# # #

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Stephanie Cedenño
(949) 370-4518
Stephanie.cedeno@gmail.com

Nathan Havey
(571) 521-9758
Nathan.havey@gmail.com

Thrive Consulting Group, Inc.

Last edited by alansplace; 05-18-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 05-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #2017
Tarana
Guru
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, Kindle HDX, Nook HD+
Got a little lost in this thread, but I just finished Book 3 (Grave Peril). Is there a timeline somewhere that perhaps shows how much time passes from book to book? I know, I could probably plot it myself, but no sense reinventing the wheel if a fan has already done it. Starting Book 4 tomorrow.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #2018
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Dresden Files: Series Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Got a little lost in this thread, but I just finished Book 3 (Grave Peril). Is there a timeline somewhere that perhaps shows how much time passes from book to book? I know, I could probably plot it myself, but no sense reinventing the wheel if a fan has already done it. Starting Book 4 tomorrow.
There's a fairly extensive thread concerning Dresden timelines on jimbutcheronline.com and you can find that thread here.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #2019
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Speaking of stealing!
Um...

Yeah...

I was quoting pookeysgirl, who complained about my stealing the countdown, and FLAUNTING that fact proudly. Because I will keep doing so for as long as she slacks off.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #2020
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Skin Game release date:
199 DAYS!

Sorry I'm late, the Sabbath just ended about 30 minutes ago...

Pookeysgirl, you are STILL slacking, so I will doubtless end up monopolizing the countdown. Reply really quickly if you wish to (TRY to) defend your position.

And Chosen will be out in
91 DAYS!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #2021
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Taken, (Alex Verus #3) by Benedict Jacka

Quote:
You folks got me all stirred up about Alex Verus so I've just begun reading Taken. It's pretty good so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Finished it last night, myself. I'm looking forward to the next installment!
Taken was a really superb read that was quite exciting and also contained multiple unexpected plot twists and surprises.

I'll be anxiously looking forward to Chosen which will be available the last week of August.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #2022
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Skin Game release date:
197 DAYS!

And Chosen will be out in
89 DAYS!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #2023
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Ghoul, Goblin: Issue 4 is Here!

Quoted from jim-butcher.com

Quote:
May 16, 2013 - Ghoul, Goblin: Issue 4 is Here!

Issue #4 of the original Dresden Files graphic novel, GHOUL GOBLIN, came out last week.

Quote:
A small, isolated Midwestern town is being terrorized by a pair of the Nevernever’s most vile creatures, who’vemanaged to decimate the star-crossed Talbot family. Harry’s sworn to protect the survivors and end the curse—something that can only be accomplished if he can convince them to take refuge in what amounts to a supernatural fortress. And if the ancient guardian spirit he’s summoned doesn’t kill him first…and if the local cops don’t toss him into a jail cell…
JIM BUTCHER’S DRESDEN FILES: GHOUL GOBLIN #4 (OF 6) • Written by Jim Butcher and Mark Powers • Art by Joseph Cooper • Cover by Ardian Syaf

Available now at Comixology and comic stores everywhere!

Check out our preview, below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	GhoulGoblin04-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	737.4 KB
ID:	106052Click image for larger version

Name:	GhoulGoblin04-2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	697.7 KB
ID:	106053Click image for larger version

Name:	GhoulGoblin04-3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	711.2 KB
ID:	106054Click image for larger version

Name:	GhoulGoblin04-4.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	661.0 KB
ID:	106055Click image for larger version

Name:	GhoulGoblin04-5.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	633.7 KB
ID:	106056
Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #2024
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 (Wifi Only), Kindle Paperwhite
I finally ...

1. ... purchased the first book from Codex Alera, but have no idea when I'm going to read it. RL has sucked the reading time right out of me.

2. ... found a store selling the Dresden Files graphic novels. I wanted to see them in person. They were very pricy, though.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #2025
alansplace
Wizard

Cool stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
1. ... purchased the first book from Codex Alera, but have no idea when I'm going to read it. RL has sucked the reading time right out of me.

2. ... found a store selling the Dresden Files graphic novels. I wanted to see them in person. They were very pricy, though.
Am I dense this morning? My poor overtaxed brain can't seem to attach a meaning to 'RL'?!?

I remember reading Furies of Calderon after pretty much forcing myself to start reading it. When I was through reading it I then read the remaining five books back to back and was sorry that it was over when I was done. Who knew?!

Me and graphic novels don't play well together at all, but in the past I have checked some out and found Comixology to be economical. Or you could try Comic Shop Locator.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy