Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #1981
AlbertaCowboy
Proud Daddy!
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300, PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Ahh...the reference to London influenced me to remember and start on the book I'm reading right now, Cursed (Alex Verus #2) by Benedict Jacka. Some time ago Jim Butcher mentioned this author/series in an interview and I gave the first one in the series, Fated (Alex Verus #1) a read, liked it a lot and put the rest of the series on my TBR list:

Fated (2012)
Cursed (2012)
Taken (2012)
Chosen, slated for September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I started reading Fated by Benedict Jacka. I am only on chapter 3 but I am loving it so far.

My favourite part so far is:

Spoiler:
If there's one thing all diviners share, it's curiosity. We really can't help it; it's just part of who we are. (here is the best part) If you dug a tunnel somewhere in the wilderness a thousand miles from anywhere and hung a sign on it saying, Warning, this leads to the Temple of Horrendous Doom. Do not enter, ever. No, not even then, you'd get back from lunch to find a diviner already inside and two more about to go in.

I can picture this so clearly in my mind. I love it when an author can do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Indeed, I also really, really liked "Fated".

And "Cursed".

And ... "Taken" ... as far as I am with it.

Best regards,
Andy
Thanks for the recommend, guys.
I picked up "Fated" a couple of days ago and powered through it. Now I'm halfway through "Cursed" and it's looking like this'll be another series that I'm gonna have trouble with waiting for the next installment.

Speaking of next installments, what's the count at for "Skin Game", Pookeysgirl?

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 05-12-2013 at 01:39 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #1982
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Quote:
Ahh...the reference to London influenced me to remember and start on the book I'm reading right now, Cursed (Alex Verus #2) by Benedict Jacka. Some time ago Jim Butcher mentioned this author/series in an interview and I gave the first one in the series, Fated (Alex Verus #1) a read, liked it a lot and put the rest of the series on my TBR list:

Fated (2012)
Cursed (2012)
Taken (2012)
Chosen, slated for September 2013
I started reading this on your recoomendation as well, it is very good, although I am only a few chapters into Cursed. For which I curse you, as my TBR list is way too long already AND YOU JUST STOLE FIRST PLACE ON IT so how will I EVER FINISH ALL MY BOOKS?!?!?!?! HELP!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-12-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: fix that naughty :h elp: smilie (see next posts)
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #1983
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2nd Gen
Cool A large TBR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I started reading this on your recoomendation as well, it is very good, although I am only a few chapters into Cursed. For which I curse you, as my TBR list is way too long already AND YOU JUST STOLE FIRST PLACE ON IT so how will I EVER FINISH ALL MY BOOKS?!?!?!?! HELP!!!!!!!!!
:h elp:
Nyssa yells at me from time to time (actually quite often) for adding to her TBR that is already of considerable size. But she's never done so with such vehemence!

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #1984
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
:h elp:
Why is one of my help signs messed up?
Old 05-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #1985
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool a space

Quote:
Why is one of my help signs messed up?
There's a space inserted in the middle of the token ":h elp:" vs.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #1986
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:
There's a space inserted in the middle of the token ":h elp:" vs.

Not when I wrote it, and not when I try to edit it either. That's why I'm so confused. And annoyed, because it totally messes up my rant.

When I tried previewing it in edit mode, it always happened on the 9th and 17th s.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #1987
alansplace
Wizard

Cool limit

Quote:
It appears there's a limit to repetitive smilies! Probably a bug. I always put a space before or after a smilie to seperate it from other stuff.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #1988
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Good idea. I was able to fix my rant now!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #1989
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Skin Game release countdown

205 DAYS!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #1990
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
205 DAYS!
Oh no you didn't just steal my countdown!!!!
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #1991
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Speaking of next installments, what's the count at for "Skin Game", Pookeysgirl?
204 DAYS!!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #1992
alansplace
Wizard

Cool The Cinder Spires The Aeronaut's Windlass - the upcoming new series

Quoted from Malazan Empire, Mikkelinski
Quote:
Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:16 PM
So, being the Butcher fanboy that I am, I couldn't help but notice the lack of bubbling excitement for Butcher's new planned series, The Cinder Spires (series name, for now) - The Aeronaut's Windlass (book name, for now). It's his foray into a steampunk setting. And while not much is known yet (such as the release and stuff), I've found it terribly exciting. I think that he wrote somewhere that he had finished writing it before the new year (aka end of 2012), but I've no idea if that's a first draft or like the last revision or whatever.

This is perhaps the longest cohesive text I've found so far about the series:

Quote:
“At the moment the series is ‘The Cinder Spires,'” Butcher said. “It's set in a kind of quasi-Victorian, steampunky world where civilization all exists in these enormous spires that are spread out considerably over their world, with lots of airship traffic between them. It's kind of a steampunky, Hornblower kind of thing. So we've got ship captains and duels and ship-to-ship battles and the opening of hostilities between two empires, and there's steam-powered technology and we've got this crazy crystal technology and goggles and airships and other tropes that are my favorites from the steampunk genre.

“I love to play with that stuff and try to use them in ways people aren't used to, and it's been a really rewarding book for me to write. I've had a lot of fun writing it.”
And also, from various Q&A videos on YouTube, that there are these mobster cat people (I was immediately drawn to picture Canim only as cats) that are the bosses in these spires and can therefor do as they please quite a bit. And that the ground, the reason for why they are all up high, is that there is a massive war / struggle going on on the ground which makes it an incredibly dangerous place.

It's not much I know, but I have such trust in Butcher that it has left me wanting more already. Right there up with Skin Game (which sounds way to awesome from the spoiled "blurb" or whatnot). Anyone know anything else about the series or just want to chime in with their desire for this new type of literary crack (hopefully!) that's coming?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #1993
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Oh no you didn't just steal my countdown!!!!
Absolutely, you're being irresponsible about keeping us posted, so I get to steal your job.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #1994
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Interview with Jim Butcher, Author of The Dresden Files

Quoted from Wyrd Con 4

Quote:
Interview with Jim Butcher, Author of The Dresden Files

Apr 26, 2013 // Wyrd Con 4 // Angelique Toschi

Q: For anyone not familiar with your work, can you tell us the type of books you write and your most prolific series?

A: I’m a fantasy novelist who is best known for the Dresden Files, a series of books about Harry Dresden, Professional Wizard.

Q: When you decide you wanted to be a writer?

A: I first considered the possibility when I was 18, but it took me until I was 19 to decide to go for it.

Q: What preparation did you take that led you down the path?

A: Oh God, none whatsoever. I just started writing my first novel. It was awful. I mean, genuinely, truly awful. So were the next several novels. But at some point, I decided that I needed to learn something about how to do it, and stumbled across the Professional Writing department at the University of Oklahoma. Everything I really needed to know about writing novels, I learned from Deborah Chester, herself a novelist, in a class titled “Writing a Genre Fiction Novel.” The first book of the Dresden Files was a class project written over one semester.

Q: What was the first novel that you completed? How did you feel once it was done?

A: That very first one was entitled “The Fall of Dark.” OMG, bad book. Bad, bad book. Epic fantasy novel that had wizards and a farmboy and warriors and a balrog and scads of monsters and which ended with Cthulu breaking free of his prison and /that/ was where the series really got started, with the adventurers blowing it and turning loose their world’s Apocalypse.

Q: What is the part of the writing process that you most enjoy?

A: The same part all writers most enjoy. Typing THE END when you finish one.

Q: What interested you the most in attending Wyrd Con IV?

A: Are you kidding, it’s a con! I love showing up at cons and meeting people. Someone has conned them into thinking I’m not just a garden variety nerd, and people are nice to me and laugh at my jokes.

Q: I have heard that you have LARPed in the past. What was the first LARP experience you participated in?

A: And present and future. As I write this, I’ve got documents open in other windows in which I’m helping to work on a new rules set for my current game. I love boffer weapon fighting and building characters, and costumes, and weapon props, so I try to get out and larp whenever I can. I started playing in IFGS in Norman Oklahoma in the fall of 1990, and was one of those guys who LARPed every weekend, driving from state to state to get into more games.

Q: What interests you most about interactive storytelling?

A: Hitting people with nerf swords! And sometimes imaginary lightning bolts!

Q: How do you think you may incorporate interactive storytelling into your own literary projects?

A: Oh, it all goes into the life experience, doesn’t it. Writers have to draw everything they do from their life experience. I’ve never served in the military, but I /have/ crouched shivering in the bushes as the sun came up, watching the frost turn to dew, gripping my foam sword and waiting for a gang of opponents to get close enough to spring an ambush. It isn’t the same experience as an actual fight (which tend to be really quick, confusing, and undignified), but it’s a place to start building the experience for the reader.

Q: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers, of any genre?

A: Write, write, write. Read, read, read. Don’t give up.

Q: If you were to create any character for yourself, that you would then play in a game, what type of character would it be?

A: I started off playing a lot of lightning quick backstab rogues, and then hardcore in-your-face, two-weapon fighters. But that was 20 years and 40 pounds ago. These days, I play a lot more underhanded, devious wizards, stalwart shield fighters, and background support-type characters who let the younger guys be all speedy unless there’s a dire need for me to come out of the bullpen.

Beyond that, I have the attention span of a goldfish for characters. I like playing lots and lots of different personalities, and I’m making new costumes and new characters every other month.

Want to meet Jim Butcher at this year’s Wyrd Con? There are just 3 more days to be a part of the Kickstarter campaign, and some great perks are left, including a “Get it all” perk that allows you to have lunch with Jim! [This project successfully raised its funding goal on Apr 30]
Old 05-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #1995
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Skin Game release countdown

202 DAYS!!!

I just started the last Codex Alera book. I can't believe I'm almost done . What an excellent series.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy