Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
FatGuy
Enthusiast
FatGuy began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks
Good Stories to Read?

Hi all, I don't have much real life experience so I want to read someone else's experiences in the form of written stories. Could someone please recommend a good book or website that I can read? I just want some interesting or funny stories.

Thanks for any help!
FatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840
It would help if you gave some examples of stories that you liked. I don't think there's a universal standard in tastes. One man's meat is another man's poison.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Pick up any biography. You get to read someone else's real life experiences especially of those times before he/she made it famous.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
If you like animals, I recommend James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. The story of an English country veterinarian, who can tell a very amusing story. And if you like the book, there are more in the series.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T2
For Funny, there's always Jean Shepherd (author/narrator of "A Christmas Story.") Most of his books are available in Kindle version, and a ton of his OTR recordings are available free on archive.org on other sies as well.

Interesting, but definitely not funny, is Jim Carroll's Basketball Diaries. Interesting how the second-best high-school basketball player in NYC at the time (after Lew Alcindor) nearly destroyed himself with heroin, but managed to come back as a punk-rock poet.

Last edited by curtw; 11-21-2014 at 11:20 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #6
FatGuy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It would help if you gave some examples of stories that you liked. I don't think there's a universal standard in tastes. One man's meat is another man's poison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollei View Post
Pick up any biography. You get to read someone else's real life experiences especially of those times before he/she made it famous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
If you like animals, I recommend James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. The story of an English country veterinarian, who can tell a very amusing story. And if you like the book, there are more in the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
For Funny, there's always Jean Shepherd (author/narrator of "A Christmas Story.") Most of his books are available in Kindle version, and a ton of his OTR recordings are available free on archive.org on other sies as well.

Interesting, but definitely not funny, is Jim Carroll's Basketball Diaries. Interesting how the second-best high-school basketball player in NYC at the time (after Lew Alcindor) nearly destroyed himself with heroin, but managed to come back as a punk-rock poet.
Thanks for the replies!

I'm looking for some funny or interesting stories so that I can get ideas from so that I can create my own stories.

Are there any biographies people could recommend?
I just want some brief and basic stories!
Old 12-03-2014, 02:22 AM   #7
FatGuy
Enthusiast

I guess I'm looking for 'short stories' as I have ADD...
Old 12-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
I guess I'm looking for 'short stories' as I have ADD...
The Jean Shepherd radio stories would be ideal then.

https://archive.org/details/JeanShepherd1965Pt1

http://www.myoldradio.com/old-radio-...ean-shepherd/1
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:41 AM   #9
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post

I'm looking for some funny or interesting stories so that I can get ideas from so that I can create my own stories.

Are there any biographies people could recommend?
I just want some brief and basic stories!
You might look for anything by Roy Chapman Andrews. It has often been suggested that he served as the model for Indiana Jones.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Roy Chapman Andrews (January 26, 1884 – March 11, 1960) was an American explorer, adventurer and naturalist who became the director of the American Museum of Natural History. He is primarily known for leading a series of expeditions through the fragmented China of the early 20th century into the Gobi Desert and Mongolia. The expeditions made important discoveries and brought the first-known fossil dinosaur eggs to the museum. His popular writings about his adventures made him famous.
Very interesting, but probably not brief or basic. Still, I like them!
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If you're into sci-fi, you might take a look at the Unidentified Funny Objects anthologies.

I believe Escape Pod publishes humorous fiction from time to time. They do audio and web editions both.

Last edited by Nancy Fulda; 12-05-2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting on hyperlinks.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #11
FatGuy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
If you're into sci-fi, you might take a look at the Unidentified Funny Objects anthologies.

I believe Escape Pod publishes humorous fiction from time to time. They do audio and web editions both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
You might look for anything by Roy Chapman Andrews. It has often been suggested that he served as the model for Indiana Jones.

From Wikipedia:

Very interesting, but probably not brief or basic. Still, I like them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Thanks all. I just want some super basic funny or interesting stories so I can get ideas to create my own and tell my friends.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:43 AM   #12
FatGuy
Enthusiast

I'm basically just looking for some interesting or funny stories from day to day life. I'm not really after amazing and death defying stories.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:46 AM   #13
FatGuy
Enthusiast

I'm looking at this now, but there seems to be just so many stories that I don't know where to begin... https://archive.org/details/JeanShepherd1965Pt1

Could someone please recommend a short and funny story?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
O. Henry's works are usually short and at least some of them have an element of humor in them.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
NickyWithNook
Fanatic
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GlowLight, Kindle PW2 & Fire HD 6, iPad 3, Nook Tablet & Color, R
Not short stories, but something that you can read in chunks - anything by Bill Bryson. He has a bunch of books where he travels and talks about the places he goes. They're hilarious.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote