Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Doc Smith Lensman series

I notice that all the Doc Smith Lensman books are available as ebooks in Amazon, except the Grey Lensman, which apparently has been removed for some problem. Is this one of those situations where someone has put orphaned books up, even though they aren't the copyright holder? I know that Gutenberg has Triplanetary and First Lensman available, but apparently the remainder of the series had their copyrights renewed and won't be PD until 95 years after the initial publication date
(Galactic Patrol - 1937, Gray Lensman - 1939, Second Stage Lensman - 1941 and Children of the Lens -1947)
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
AnotherCat
Guru
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
It is also unavailable, listed but under review with the publisher, in my +50 country so may be some problem other than copyright.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 08-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: Kindle3-3G, Archos 43, Samsung S3
I read the Lensman early in life. "A lensman always goes in!"

Never cared for the Doc Savage series though.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:01 AM   #4
Jean
Enthusiast
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 /Kindle Fire
The publisher listed is 'One Earth Books' - I own these books in paper published by One Earth Books and the covers match the ebook editions. I don't know if the publisher is actually to one to make them available on Amazon though.

That being said, I purchased First Lensman from Amazon last December and I REALLY don't recommend anyone purchase it. It was a very poor OCR that obviously no-one bothered to even glance at before making it available on Amazon. There are many spelling errors on every page. Later in the ebook there are page numbers from the paper edition randomly inserted in with the text. Chapter 11 (if I recall the correct chapter) did not start on a new page like every other chapter. It just followed on from the text of the previous chapter. Those are just problems I can recall, there may be more.

I very much enjoy this series and was excited to be able to read them in ebook format but the poor OCR spoiled the experience for me and I was unwilling to spend the money being charged for the rest of the books. Very disappointing.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:12 AM   #5
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
They are a bit pricey given their status (basically $8). I did get the Galactic Patrol, and it seems to be decent as far as formatting and scanning errors go. Didn't bother getting the rest since I wasn't sure about the status.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
gweeks
Addict
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Nook Color
The paperback books were publish by Old Earth Books, not One Earth Books.

The Grey Lensman was pulled for formatting and proofing problems. There are whole pages missing from the content. They merely repackaged the badly done pirate edition that's been floating around for years. I'm assuming the other One Earth editions are the same. I'm not willing to either buy or waste a borrow to find out.

Triplanetary and First Lensman are at PG. The copyright status on the others is complicated by magazine renewals that may or may not have renewed the stories depending on what the contracts were like. The contracts aren't public information.

All of the Lensman books go Public Domain in life+50 countries next January. This has no affect on the U.S. copyright status.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Jean
Enthusiast
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 /Kindle Fire
You are right, I don't know how I missed that. My paper editions were published by OLD Earth Books. The ebook edition does not include any copywrite information except to say it was first published by Fantasy Press hardbound - 1950. It also does not include any of the artwork included in the Old Earth Books edition.

I am personally leaning toward it being an unauthorized edition.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: Kindle3-3G, Archos 43, Samsung S3
It seems that I have the Lensmen books somewhere in the basement where we have been working from time to time since my wife and I both retired from "full" time work at least.

Maybe they will show up.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:12 AM   #9
BenG
Innsmouth Swim Team
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
The paperback books were publish by Old Earth Books, not One Earth Books.
According to their website Old Earth Books no longer has the reprint rights.

Quote:
The Old Earth Books six-volume collection of trade paperback facsimiles of the original Fantasy Press hardcover editions of E. E. "Doc" Smith's classic Lensmen series are officially out of print. Old Earth Books no longer has the reprint rights and it is not known when or by whom the series will be reprinted in the future.
My paperbacks were printed by Pyramid in the 70s.
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote