Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite and a Nook Simple Touch
Men's Action/Adventure literature

Here is a thread where we can all come to discuss our favorite action/adventure authors. These books are to men what romance novels are to women. Some of them may qualify as pulp fiction but not all are pulp.

Some of my favorites have been the Mack Bolan series of books, Brad Thor and Clive Cussler novels. Mack Bolan books one needs to have a summary of the early books or have read all of the early books in order to understand what is going on in the newer books. If you want a summary of the older books please ask. Most Brad Thor books can be read in any order, however the newer ones since the Athena Project really need to be read in order. Clive Cussler books can be read in any order. Of these the best (in my opinion) are probably the Mack Bolan books - for more information go to mackbolan.com.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
WillAdams
Guru
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121
Louis L'amour's _Last of the Breed_

David Morrell's books:
- The Brotherhood of the Rose
- The Fraternity of the stone
- The League of Night and Fog

Trevanian's (Rodney William Whitaker)
- Shibumi (hasn't aged well, and is a guilty pleasure)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
My favorite was John Whitlatch.
http://bishsbeat.blogspot.com/2009/0...tlatch_14.html
Unfortunately he died in 1981 and none of his books are available as eBooks. I have them all in paper. If you like this genre give these books a try.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Definitely need to add Lee Child and his Jack Reacher books to the list
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
Add Brad Thor's books to this list.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not liked Brad Thor much, however I will try him again in a few weeks and see how I like him.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Definitely need to add Lee Child and his Jack Reacher books to the list
I second this...excellent books
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
kyrilson
Connoisseur
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350(2), Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW2, Kindle Fire HDX,iPad Air
I loved the Mack Bolan books back when I was a kid I had all of the paperbacks. Also read the Phoenix Force, Able Team and the other Gold Eagle books. I still pick up some of the ebooks once in a while from the library for an easy read.

Some other good men's adventure series: Matt Helm, The Destroyer (Remo Williams), The Survivalist, and more recently, the Pike Logan series by Brad Taylor.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
Waylander
Zealot
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT Black, Kindle Paperwhite 2012
Scott Mariani writes gripping thrillers as well, with a main protagonist who is not just a mindless killing machine. Give them a go, they are brilliant.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Maxwell Grant's "The Shadow" books and Lester Dent's Doc Savage. I've read a couple of each. At one time The Shadow books were available to buy on CD from Black Mask (before their confrontation with Conde Nast).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Love the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child books. The adventures are sometimes nearly techo-thrillers.

Of course the early Tom Clancy books are great.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Rafael Sabatini's books have an adventure air about them and we can't forget H. Rider Haggards books either.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard

Sorry for my non-attention to this thread but I will remedy that now.

I like Louis L'amour, however I would like to stick to more contemparary authors.

David Morrell appears to be writing comic books these days and although I do ocasionally read comic books, I preferr novels.

I do like the Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child books, got a little burned out when they seemed to be writting only about Helen. May go back after a while.

Picked up two interesting ones recently Steve Berry and James Rollins. Seem to be very good reads thus far.

John Whitlatch does not seem to have written anything in quite some time.
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #14
kyrilson
Connoisseur
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350(2), Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW2, Kindle Fire HDX,iPad Air
Both Steve Berry and James Rollins are really good. I enjoy both of those authors.

Another series you might like is the John Wells series by Alex Berenson. I also enjoy the thrillers from Deon Meyer, a South African author.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:01 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Sorry for my non-attention to this thread but I will remedy that now.

I like Louis L'amour, however I would like to stick to more contemparary authors.

John Whitlatch does not seem to have written anything in quite some time.
If you read one Louis L'Amour you should read The Walking Drum. This is his best novel and is not a western.

John Whitlatch did not writte anything after he died in 1981.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote