Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Graebeard
Graebeard began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Question NOOB question on Series Metatags

Perhaps a silly question as I can't find an answer in this forum. Perhaps someone can help??

I'v tagged a number of books and want to assign a Series name to each book. In the MetaData window, I enter the Series name, for example - "Grimes" without the quotes, and keep the Automatically number books in this series UnChecked, then push the Apply button.

Now, each book has Grimes[1] in the Series tag, rather than just Grimes. Any suggestions?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Graebeard
Graebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graebeard View Post
Perhaps a silly question as I can't find an answer in this forum. Perhaps someone can help??

I'v tagged a number of books and want to assign a Series name to each book. In the MetaData window, I enter the Series name, for example - "Grimes" without the quotes, and keep the Automatically number books in this series UnChecked, then push the Apply button.

Now, each book has Grimes[1] in the Series tag, rather than just Grimes. Any suggestions?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Graebeard
Series must have an index number. It can be 0. it can be 1.53
There is a Preferences: tweak: on how it is determined.

BTW Isn't the Series "The Stainless Steel Rat"? John Grimes is the lead character
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
It could also be by Bertram Chandler http://www.bertramchandler.com/novel...lacticrim.aspx
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Or Martha Grimes.

Series are generally numbered or what would be the point? You can use the series field for other purposes, as I do for short stories, but mostly I use it for it's intended purpose to keep track of which book came where in a series.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
If you want a "series" name without a number, create a custom column as a text based column. You can bulk edit these using the Custom metadata tab when you do a Bulk Edit of Metadata.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Or Martha Grimes.

Series are generally numbered or what would be the point? You can use the series field for other purposes, as I do for short stories, but mostly I use it for it's intended purpose to keep track of which book came where in a series.

Helen
Good point from yourself and PeterT

Be vewwey cawefull shortening a series name, you could end up with way dissimilar materials in your series. I have a few in my library that only differ by a single letter or tiny word
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote