Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
linzjo
linzjo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
help with kindle 3 using calibre?

hi i am a newbie!

i have recently purchased a kindle 3g after having a PRS 300

i am using Calibre for all my books etc (love this programme!)

i am no good at tweaks, plugins etc so please be patient!

i must say after changing from a sony to a kindle i was surprised at the layout on kindle, sony is so much better the way it organised etc. i did have a few tweaks on my sony for collections etc that i am missing with my kindle!

when i send books to my kindle to read and open them in kindle they do not open on the cover. they seem to open a few pages into it! is there a way to change this? the book format is mobi

also could someone please explain in simple terms how to use kindle collections? as i say i am a newbie and have no idea how to do these things

thank you very much!
linzjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzjo View Post
when i send books to my kindle to read and open them in kindle they do not open on the cover. they seem to open a few pages into it! is there a way to change this? the book format is mobi
!
No - this is the way Amazon designed the Kindle to work and the behaviour is built into the Kindle's firmware.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
i must say after changing from a sony to a kindle i was surprised at the layout on kindle, sony is so much better the way it organised etc. i did have a few tweaks on my sony for collections etc that i am missing with my kindle!
Calibre's tight integration with Sony devices is why I stayed with a Sony when I upgraded devices. It works great with all devices but its level of support for Sony is a step above.

Quote:
also could someone please explain in simple terms how to use kindle collections? as i say i am a newbie and have no idea how to do these things
I don't have a Kindle but there is a great Kindle collections plugin that should work great for you.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
linzjo

thanks! aw i really wish there was a way to change it!

also can anyone tell me how i can number the books in my collection so they show the order on my kindle? they in the series in calibre but using the kindle collections to add it to the kindle adds it in a collection but with no numbers beside saying what order to read them in? also when i add collections, i get a lot of empty collections on my kindle e.g Nora Robers (0) etc

thank you soo much

ps actually missing my sony reader, it was so much easier!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
also can anyone tell me how i can number the books in my collection so they show the order on my kindle? they in the series in calibre but using the kindle collections to add it to the kindle adds it in a collection but with no numbers beside saying what order to read them in? also when i add collections, i get a lot of empty collections on my kindle e.g Nora Robers (0) etc
Check out this sticky post on the use of plugboards, you ought to be able to find something that suits your needs in the spoiler examples.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
linzjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Check out this sticky post on the use of plugboards, you ought to be able to find something that suits your needs in the spoiler examples.
thank you very much i will have a wee look now!!!

Tags
calibre, kindle