Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Mondo100
Mondo100 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
New Paperwhite woes :(

Hi All,

For christmas i treated myself to a new kindle paperwhite (v2) which is a replacement for an old non touch kindle running 4.1.

I had had jailbroken my old one and mainly used the wallpaper function. which was great.

I went to do this to my new kindle pw2 and i found that it had shipped with od 5.5.1 (unable to jailbreak) so i found and followed this article to downgrade the os LINK and once downgraded i followed this guide for jailbreaking. http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

and then i followed this guide for setting up the wallpapers http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474

this all worked perfectly and thank you to NiLuJe for some well written guides.

however once i disabled airplane mode my kindle decided to perform an update on its own and is now on os 5.6.1. This has broken either the screensaver hack OR the jailbreak. I have tried re-installing links but it wont allow me to 'update kindle' from settings with the linkss .bin file on the root.

I have also tried running this update http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597 which does go through however on completion still doesnt allow me to update linkss or uninstall it.

to confirm it was jailbroken before the update

is there anything i can do to get this back to a working jailbroken state?

Thanks

Mondo
Mondo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
@Mondo100: Read the FW 5.6 section of the JB thread. (spoiler: use MRPI to install stuff).

-- Also, moved to the Dev corner
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
semicomatose
semicomatose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
What is MRPI, and which Jailbreak thread are you talking about?
semicomatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #4
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by semicomatose View Post
Good choice of user name.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N3, N10.1, View, K1, K2, K3, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by semicomatose View Post
MRPI thread
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251143
JB thread
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

I suggest you read all the info and cautions on both threads before proceeding and as NiLuJe suggested pay particular attention to the "FW 5.6 section" of the JB thread.

Last edited by pghaworth; 01-13-2015 at 11:00 AM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
MRPI thread
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251143
JB thread
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

I suggest you read all the info and cautions on both threads before proceeding and as NiLuJe suggested pay particular attention to the "FW 5.6 section" of the JB thread.
Thanks!
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N3, N10.1, View, K1, K2, K3, PW1, PW2
You're welcome. I try to help where I can. When I first came here I had a lot of questions (and still do). This is the best way I can give back.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote