Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Calypso42
Calypso42 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question mobi Cover Page not refreshing

I have created an epub using Adobe InDesign and converted it to a mobi file using Kindle Previewer.

Everything looks good and the book works great, but I originally had a "temporary" cover page while I was working on the book - the real one was being created by someone else - and now that I have the "real" cover page I can't get the Kindle for Mac application to show it in the library view. When I'm inside the book and navigate to "Cover" I get the correct cover page. It's the library view that hasn't refreshed with the new cover.

On an old PC that I tried viewing the mobi file on, the Kindle for PC is showing the correct "real" cover page for the book in the library. So I think the mobi file is OK, it's my Mac that has the problem.

Is there something "stuck" on my Kindle for Mac that someone can point me to so I can fix it and see the "real" cover page in my library?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me!
Calypso42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Kindle for PC caches covers; I'd imagine that Kindle for Mac does the same. Look for a cache directory somewhere - it's probably hidden.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Calypso42

I have found a cache that looks like it may have something to do with the Kindle for Mac software but the file found at:

home -> library -> caches -> com.amazon.kindle -> Cache.db

is empty (zero bytes), and remains empty, regardless of what I do with the Kindle for Mac application. None of the other cache folders looks appropriate.

Any other ideas - or suggestions on where else a cache may be hiding?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
It may be in the mbp file that accompanies the regular file once it is opened. Try erasing that so long as you know where you are in the book. The bookmark is stored there as well.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Calypso42

I tried erasing the mbp file, but it didn't work, the cover is still the old one.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Calypso42

Yes! I found it!

home -> library -> application support -> Kindle -> cache -> covers -> xxx.jpg

I deleted the .jpg for the book cover, and now it refreshes with the "real" one!

Thank you HarryT for mentioning there was a cache somewhere, and DaleDe for suggesting looking for the mbp file - it was very close to the mbp file, and that's how I found it.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Good, glad you were able to find it.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Excellent! Glad to hear that you sorted it out.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote