Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
tamhas
Enthusiast
tamhas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Some issues getting started

I have a Kindle 3 which I used for a while prior to getting Calibre. Some of what is on it I got in the usual way from Amazon and some I downloaded to it from my computer just with a disk to disk copy. Now that I have Calibre I am trying to get everything in sync.

I started out with Calibre ... perhaps wrongly, by initializing the library from the Kindle image on my PC, which has a couple of things no longer in the Kindle. I have since added everything on the Kindle. But, when I did that, I got a lot of duplicates, even though I asked it not to add duplicates, typically with the Author as unknown and an ASIN added to the title. I would like for this to not happen again if I re-import from the Kindle. How do I prevent it.

I also have title on the Kindle which import as New Title 4 and the like. In the library, I can figure out what these are and rename them to sensible titles, but again I don't want them to reimport this way again and I would like to see the real title if I use the Calibre view of what is in the Kindle.

If I view what is on the Kindle from Calibre, I can't edit the title so there are a bunch of Net Title 4 and the like, even though I have corrected these in the library. Not helpful. How do I get them to sync?

In viewing what is on the Kindle, only a handful of books show that they are in a collection, whereas in fact, most of the books on the Kindle are in a collection. How do I get that to sync?
tamhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
tamhas
Enthusiast

Oh, yes, if I had both a fixed title and New Title 4 in the library after the import and deleted the New Title 4, the fixed title does not show as being on the Kindle, when it is.

Enthusiast
Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
tamhas
Enthusiast

And, one more thing I forgot. I *really* would like to be able to print a list of what is in the library, but I can't figure out how to do that.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps not the best advice but i would:
1. start a new libray
2. copy kindle books to folder on computer (not really necessary but maybe clearer).
3. make sure read metadata from file name is unchecked
4. drag one book into library and see if metadata matches kindle metatdata.
If it does match add books using the add bookks from folder option assuming each folder is one book.

If it doesn't match check read metadata from filename and try again.

Basically you want to get one file name in the database correctly and then use the same settings for the rest.
For the next question use the catalog feature to get a printable list
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamhas View Post
And, one more thing I forgot. I *really* would like to be able to print a list of what is in the library, but I can't figure out how to do that.
Create a catalog in CSV format. You can import that into a spreadsheet program (Excel, OO.org Calc, ...) and print from there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
tamhas
Enthusiast

It took me a while to get around to trying any of this. No joy on the suggestions by speakingtohe. What does seem to have worked is importing everything with looking at the metadata, figuring out what "New Title 4" or any other bollixed title really was, editing the metadata in the library, fetching the metadata from the web, then *deleting* the book from the Kindle, and adding the modified library version back to the Kindle.

Tedious, but appears to have worked for now.