Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
GastonC
GastonC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Keyboard shorcuts for 5-way controller

My controller was cracked open (Kindle DX). It was still functional, but I decided to fix it. I then glued the two pieces together.

The up/down/right/left actions are still working correctly. However, the "press" action (to open a book, for example) is now quite erratic. Often, it does an up or down. After multiple trials, I eventually got it to open the book. But, it is annoying.

Are there keyboard shortcuts that could be used as substitutes for a defective controller?

If there are none, then I will consider opening the beast, to see if I can fix it one way or another.

Thank you,

GastonC
Gatineau, Qc.
GastonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles 2, KB, PW 1, PW 2, Voyage, & Fire 2 -- iPad mini
Cool me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonC View Post
My controller was cracked open (Kindle DX). It was still functional, but I decided to fix it. I then glued the two pieces together.

The up/down/right/left actions are still working correctly. However, the "press" action (to open a book, for example) is now quite erratic. Often, it does an up or down. After multiple trials, I eventually got it to open the book. But, it is annoying.

Are there keyboard shortcuts that could be used as substitutes for a defective controller?

If there are none, then I will consider opening the beast, to see if I can fix it one way or another.

Thank you,

GastonC
Gatineau, Qc.
same thing happened to my 2+ year old kindle 2. the joystick split right down the middle all the way (it was in 2 pieces) through. i called kindle customer service and they immediately sent me (2nd day delivery) a replacement unit and said to return the broken kindle in the packaging that the new one came in. also they emailed me a prepaid mailing label to attach. it was all at no cost to me. i was tempted to try glue at first but decided to contact amazon first instead and was happy that i did.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
GastonC

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your response.

Was your Kindle still under warranty? Did you bought it new directly from Amazon?

Mine is a used model that I bought from an Ottawa citizen. He, himself, bought it used and have no idea how old the unit is.

Anyway, I will try my luck and call Amazon as you did.

Thanks again.

GastonC
Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Have you had a look at the Launchpad thread in the developer forum?
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97636
You can use it to assign different functions to "hotkeys" on the Kindle. I know you can simulate page turn keystrokes with it, so I assume you could assign the five-way functions to other keys, but I don't know for sure... I don't use the hack myself, but check out the thread. If you have any questions, I'm sure someone who uses Launchpad will be able to answer them.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool good luck

Quote:
Hi Alan,

Thank you for your response.

Was your Kindle still under warranty? Did you bought it new directly from Amazon?

Mine is a used model that I bought from an Ottawa citizen. He, himself, bought it used and have no idea how old the unit is.

Anyway, I will try my luck and call Amazon as you did.

Thanks again.

GastonC
mine was purchased new (over 2 years prior to the replacement) from amazon and there was no extended warranty yet the cs rep said, 'that's covered under your warranty'. i'm not sure of the official warranty period but i doubt that it's over 2 years and probably a lot less. good luck.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
GastonC

Today, I called Amazon to determine what my options were. Without me even asking for, they said that they will send me a replacement unit, at no charge!

From the serial number, they were able to determine that this unit was initially sold in September 2010.

I am quite impressed by their excellent service.

@DiapDealer: This launchpad sure looks interesting. I will take some time to look into it further. Thank you. And, thanks for the hint to call Amazon.

@PhillipA82: may be because I am new to this forum, but I don't know what "MR" refers to.

GastonC.

Last edited by GastonC; 08-05-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Missing word.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
alansplace
Wizard

Cool MobileRead

Quote:
Today, I called Amazon to determine what my options were. Without me even asking for, they said that they will send me a replacement unit, at no charge!

From the serial number, they were able to determine that this unit was initially sold in September 2010.

@DiapDealer: This launchpad sure looks interesting. I will take some time to look into it further. Thank you. And, thanks for the hint to call Amazon.

@PhillipA82: may be because I am new to this forum, but I don't know what "MR" refers to.

GastonC.
MobileRead
Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of lightratflinger is a glorious beacon of light

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
After reading this thread I decided to call Amazon, as my 5-way controller also split & will no longer select the books. I purchased my Kindle back in February of 2009. I was hoping to get a K3 for say 1/2 price - Amazon offered to replace my K2 with either another K2 or a K3 for no charge! What service! Yeah I'm glad I bought a Kindle & it's nice to see a large company with excellent customer service
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Chalk another one up to Amazon and their support squad.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote