|08-08-2011, 09:22 AM||#1|
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 26 kly from Sgr A*
Device: PRS-T1, KT, PB701/IQ, K2, PB360, BeBook One, Axim51v, TC1000
Shatzkin on ebook cannibalization of print
Lots of subtleties in there.
Several points stand out:
- recently reported numbers for ebook percentages are catalog-wide averages
- ebook share of narrative text is much higher, closer to 30% by now
- narrative text print runs in decline; closing in on 50% from 2 years ago
- if narrative text ebook growth does not slow down *soon* narrative print will lose all profitability; the tipping point is near
- publishing ops might splinter into ebook-focused (low overhead) narrative text and print-focused (high-overhead) illustrated books
- illustrated book (cooking, kids, coffee table, etc) economics will be negatively impacted
And he's looking at a two-year window.
|08-08-2011, 10:13 AM||#2|
PHD in Horribleness
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In the ironbound section, near avenue L
Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I am pretty sure someone was negatively impacted when the Church and all those monks began to cannibalise the scroll business with books.
And very likely some talented calligraphers were marginalized by Gutenberg.
But back then, just as now, advancement was beneficial.
|08-08-2011, 06:18 PM||#3|
Scott Nicholson, author
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boone NC
Those in the trenches realized the tipping point's approach would accelerate dramatically the closer it got, almost in an exponential manner
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Publishers dont drive change in the ebook industry: Shatzkin on Apple's move||stonetools||News||101||08-18-2011 07:55 AM|
|Print as ebook||Moik||Amazon Kindle||7||02-08-2011 10:19 AM|
|Print vs Pixel: retailers experiment with print/ebook bundles||DMcCunney||General Discussions||42||09-15-2010 11:29 AM|
|Out of print Kindle ebook||Daithi||Amazon Kindle||7||09-19-2009 02:12 AM|
|Shatzkin Proposal for Enhanced Ebooks||cerement||News||5||03-04-2009 09:43 AM|