Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
verydeepwater
verydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad and Kindle Fire
Making an E-PDF with linked index

I have a PDF of a large technical document. I want to end up with an E-PDF (or PDF to be used as an eBook) with linked table of contents, and a long index, with all the entries linked to the corresponding pages. Could someone kindly advise me of the best way of going about this.

With html files, I know how to add links to the page references in an index, with FIND/CHANGE command in a text editor. What I am looking for is away to do this with a PDF.

Otherwise, if this is not possible, would it be better to go back to the original inDesign files to add the links? If so, though this is probably not the correct forum, what's the best way of linking a large number of page references within an index. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
verydeepwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121
InDesign will automatically hot link an index when one makes a .pdf if one generates an interactive .pdf
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
verydeepwater
verydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

But doesn't the index have to be already linked in Indesign. i think in this case the references are just listed, not linked.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
verydeepwater

I have found an Indesign add on which will convert page numbers in indexes to active links, which are maintained when exporting to both EPUB and PDF. At least that is what it says, I haven't tried it yet. The add on is called LIVE INDEX.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121
If one uses the native InDesign indexing facilities (such as they are) this is automatic, as I noted, for a .pdf at least. ePub wasn't mentioned initially, and I haven't researched it.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
markom
Evangelist
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydeepwater View Post
I have a PDF of a large technical document. I want to end up with an E-PDF (or PDF to be used as an eBook) with linked table of contents, and a long index, with all the entries linked to the corresponding pages. Could someone kindly advise me of the best way of going about this.

This is not exactly what you've been asking for, but still might be useful to someone.

If pdf is paginated it is never a big deal for me to see the exact page number in the TOC or in the index and quickly jump to it, although I would usually bookmark the whole TOC too (instead of linking the whole TOC).

The quickest or the easiest way for bookmarking a big TOC for me, would be OCR-ing it and then embeding its txt-file into pdf using apps like JPdfBookmarks and then just linking every bookmark by quickly jumping to the particular page (a bit quicker if pdf has been paginated beforehand) and right-clicking "set destination" in pdf reader as e.g. Foxit Reader.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpdfbookmarks/

For pdf pagination we can use becypdfmetaedit app (the Pages tab).

http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaed...iption_eng.htm

For those with Adobe Acrobat I would suggest using Clearscan for the great quality of almost an exact pdf scanned image, pretty small pdf size and quick flipping/rendering on every tablet or ereader (for 100 pages (text only) a pdf size should be below 2 MB i.e. 20 MB for 1 000 pages)

Last edited by markom; 07-11-2015 at 07:13 AM.
markom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
This is not exactly what you've been asking for, but still might be useful to someone.

If pdf is paginated it is never a big deal for me to see the exact page number in the TOC or in the index and quickly jump to it, although I would usually bookmark the whole TOC too (instead of linking the whole TOC).

The quickest or the easiest way for bookmarking a big TOC for me, would be OCR-ing it and then embeding its txt-file into pdf using apps like JPdfBookmarks and then just linking every bookmark by quickly jumping to the particular page (a bit quicker if pdf has been paginated beforehand) and right-clicking "set destination" in pdf reader as e.g. Foxit Reader.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpdfbookmarks/

For pdf pagination we can use becypdfmetaedit app (the Pages tab).

http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaed...iption_eng.htm

For those with Adobe Acrobat I would suggest using Clearscan for the great quality of almost an exact pdf scanned image, pretty small pdf size and quick flipping/rendering on every tablet or ereader (for 100 pages (text only) a pdf size should be below 2 MB i.e. 20 MB for 1 000 pages)
Uh....

Wouldn't it be easier to simply open the PDF in Acrobat Pro, and make the items links? That's what I do for ePDFs, and it's quite fast. Why all the scanning, etc.?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
markom
Evangelist
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Uh....

Wouldn't it be easier to simply open the PDF in Acrobat Pro, and make the items links? That's what I do for ePDFs, and it's quite fast. Why all the scanning, etc.?

Hitch
Is there maybe a free automatic way now (some free plug-in or javascript add-on), without an additional expensive Acrobat plug-ins ? such as:

http://indesignsecrets.com/automatin...-pdf-files.php
http://virginiasystems.com

http://www.debenu.com/products/deskt...age-links-pdf/

Indesign' Live Index script
http://www.id-extras.com/products/liveindex

Although it should be about the same speed to link every bookmark or every entry in the TOC page to make it interactive(hyperlinked), I prefer linking bookmarks (as ocr-ed and embedded TOC) because it is usually faster to me the way I do it, but I sometimes create both (TOC bookmarks and hyperlinks).

If pdf is already ocr-ed then I would just copy/paste the TOC page into the text file (notepad, wordpad ...) or ocr it in less than a minute and then embed it in pdf in a couple of seconds by opening pdf in jpdfbookmarks app, adding the text file and saving pdf with embeded bookmarks(not linked as yet).

I would also paginate pdf beforehand to link the bookmarks faster. By pagination I don't mean putting the visible page numbers on the pages if missing, but taking into consideration the pages with roman and arabic numerals and those without assigned numerals, so that after entering go-to number 100 command, it will take us exactly to the page no.100 in the book, instead of e.g. no. 80 because there were 20 pages with roman numerals in the beggining of the book.

Pagination (using free becypdfmetaedit app or Acrobat) for average 500-600 page pdf usually takes just a minute or two, but sometimes it can take ten minutes or more, depending on the pdf content e.g. if there are a lot of images or empty pages without the page numbers it takes longer to enumerate them all correctly.

Pagination using Acrobat
http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/clerk/ca...g_a_brief.html

Once I have paginated pdf with embeded (non-linked) bookmarks, I would just look at the TOC entry (in the paper book or another copy of pdf file opened on PC) and seeing its page number, quickly jump to the page in paginated pdf with embedded bookmarks (using Status Bar at the bottom of pdf) linking corresponding bookmark using "Set Destination" command.

In this way I can quickly link a hundred bookmarks for less than five minutes, whereas linking a hundred entries in TOC would probably take me a fifteen or more minutes.

Instead of linking every bookmark manually by "Set Destination" command, we can also simply just separate the text lines and the page numbers in the ocr-ed TOC text file with the slash sign beforehand, and JpdfBookmarks will automatically link the embedded bookmarks with coresponding pdf pages correctly (if PDF is paginated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by verydeepwater View Post

Creating hyperlinked (interactive) Table of Contents with Acrobat

from 1:00 min. if there is already TOC page in pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR7FT3Pr4a0

Some free pdf editors to add hyperlinks to TOC:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4707191_hyperlink-pdf-file.html
http://pdf.wondershare.com/tutorial/...pdf-files.html

So, you can just quickly hyperlink the TOC and paginate the pdf, without the need for hyperlinking thousands of entries in the index, because it's not a problem (if pdf is paginated) to quickly jump to the exact page manually after seeing the page number in the index.

Nevertheless if you still want to hyperlink every single entry in the index and don't have some expensive plug-in to do that automatically for you, you can still do that the same way as with the TOC manually, but it will take "a bit" longer this time (e.g. one hour a day for 500-600 links x 7 days = 3500-4000 linked entries in a week )

Last edited by markom; 08-02-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
markom
Evangelist

I have tried a 14-day trial version of Debenu plug-in for Acrobat on several scanned pdfs (with OCR layer in the background, exact image and Clearscan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaFL...wWlvmE0w1tCisz

https://www.youtube.com/user/Debenu/videos

We can just delete the watermarks stamped across every page by this demo version and use it as we would the normal version (we can quickly delete it all at once using Acrobat's Preflight tool and the layer-separation for knock-outs therein, or we can do that manually page by page with some other pdf editor).

http://download.cnet.com/Debenu-PDF-...-10317359.html

It is very easy to use and very quick in hyperlinking the index pages (creating the visible rectangles around the numbers or as not visible at all), we just have to specify the page range and in five-ten seconds if there are e.g. 30-40 index pages it will link thousand of entries, but the problem is that it links to the page number in pdf only (pagination notwithstanding), so if the page with arabic no.1 in the scanned book is the page no. 20 in pdf (because there are pages marked with roman numbers in front), there will be 19 pages mistake that cannot be easily rectified, because there is no such option there currently.
So, we have to simply adjust the page no.1 in pdf with arabic number 1 in the book, by deleting some front pages and then merging them back later after hyperlinking if we need them (I've tried and it worked that way).

There would still be problems with some scanned pdfs which contain pictures or empty pages that are not numbered in the scanned book (e.g. page 100 with text, then page with the picture, then page 101 with the text), I guess.

Also there were not infrequent mistakes with the recognition in some ClearScan-ed scans e.g. 120 as 1 and 20 separated, although OCR layer clearly states it as 120, whereas several scans OCR-ed as "exact image" were without such mistakes.

We can at the same time hyperlink the Index pages and TOC too, but if we also want to hyperlink the TOC text lines (not just the page numbers), we have to do that manually again, by drawing the rectangles in Acrobat.

Example: Hyperlinked TOC numbers (using the blue underlines with a medium width)

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

If there is already TOC in the pdf we can use it to automatically create bookmarks and vice-versa create clickable TOC page from the bookmarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqFDl36-o3g

---------

So, those without Adobe Acrobat, could send a pdf to some acquaintance who does have it, asking him to quickly install this or the newer trial Debenu plug-in and then after quickly linking the TOC pages and Index pages (using Create-Page-Links tool), also to delete (as quickly and easily) all the demo-watermarks using Acrobat's Preflight/Layer-separation tool.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-21-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
markom
Evangelist

AutoBookmark plug-in for Adobe Acrobat

http://www.evermap.com/autobookmark.asp
http://www.evermap.com/downloads.asp

30 day trial, no visible watermarks added after linking.

Similar to Debenu but with even more options e.g. there is offset for pages, so if the page with arabic 1 in the book is the page 20 in the pdf we can add 19 for compensation; at linking the TOC it will link both the text and the numbers.

As with Debenu there were mistakes at number' recognition (up to 10% sometimes) for scanned pdfs ocr-ed with ClearScan(Adobe's OCR mode for smaller pdf files), whereas pdfs ocr-ed as exact-image were again o.k., as were non-scanned (vector) pdfs too, of course; so if we want a better recognition result with index files we can simply use exact-image OCR mode just for the index pages or Abbyy Finereader's text-and-picture-mode, retaining Clearscan for other pages in the document.

It is also helpful (in the case of poor recognition of numbers in the scanned pdfs) that by using underlining option, there will then be visible a two separated lines e.g. for the number 120, a very short one under 1 and a longer one under 20, so we know that we should enter that page number manually rather than to follow the wrong link(s), and also if we would like, we can edit those wrong links later.

http://www.evermap.com/autobookmark.asp#StartLinks
http://www.evermap.com/abm_lnk_summary.asp

The Youtube lesson explains how to automatically create links in Adobe PDF document using 3 options in the "Generate Links" feature of AutoBookmark plug-in: linking text "page N" to Nth page; linking numbers to pages and linking Table of Contents to pages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoIBGVLc-8M

Last edited by markom; 08-13-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:21 AM   #11
markom
Evangelist

Nitro Pro 10 (PDF Editor and OCR)

14-day trial

https://www.gonitro.com/pro/features
http://nitro-pro-.en.softonic.com

Automatic-page-number-linking and Searching(Keyword)-links-automatically options.

No offset for the links.

https://www.gonitro.com/resources/videos/links

copy/paste from nitro-pro-9-user-guide

http://install.nitropdf.com/pro9/nit...r-guide-en.pdf

Automatic page number links

The Create Page Links tool lets you automatically turn all numbers on an area of the page into active
hyperlinks that will link each number to the corresponding page in the document. It’s ideal for making sections of documents, like the table of contents and index, more intelligent and easier to use. It’s simply a matter of selecting the part of the page or range of pages you want to scan, and then running the tool to turn them into active links.
To create page links:
1. On the Edit tab, in the Navigation group, click the arrow beneath Link
2. Click Auto Page Links
3. To specify the area of the page or page range to process, do either of the following:
l To scan only an area of the page, click and drag the cursor to select it, and then specify the pages to scan
l To scan the whole page, or a range of whole pages, select the Range option, and then enter
the pages to include
4. Click the options to set the appearance of the links
5. Click the Create button to generate the links

Create keyword links automatically

With Nitro Pro 9 you can turn every occurrence of a particular word or phrase into an active hyperlink. For example, you could make all occurrences of your company name in your document link through to your company web site. The Auto Keyword Link tool gives you the choice of going through each occurrence and approving them one at a time, or you can just convert all occurrences automatically in the one go.
Links can be set to execute a variety of actions such as open a URL or external file, go to a specific page or named destination, or even the next instance of the word in the document.
To create keyword links:
1. On the Edit tab, in the Navigation group, click the arrow beneath Link
2. Click Auto Keyword Links
3. In the Find box, enter the word or phrase you want to turn into an active link
4. In the Action type list, click the action to use and then specify the action to perform
5. In the Link properties group, click the options to set the appearance of the links
6. To create the links, do either of the following:
l To convert all keywords to hyperlinks, click the Create All button
l To review each instance of a keyword before applying the link, click Find Next and then click
Create to turn it into a link
7. Click Close

Last edited by markom; 08-10-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Moderator Notice

markom
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linked index, links in pdfs, pdf, pdf as ebook