Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
rizzyh
rizzyh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaj41 View Post
The Dictionary bug (post #13 from 1.9.8 thread) seems to be fixed ... Thanks!
It's the opposite with me. I didn't have this problem with 1.9.8 but after updating to 1.9.9 I now have that problem with my dictionary.
rizzyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Fully charged my battery yesterday morning. Updated FW to 1.9.9 last evening. Read for approximately 45 minutes. Powered off. This morning, had to press the on button several times for Kobo to power on. When it did, it went directly to my book mark rather than the home page (almost as if it had been asleep). The battery was more than half drained.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did you have WiFi on over night?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #19
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Actually, I did. First time I have done that. I usually leave it in airplane mode.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #20
ldrover
Connoisseur

Does anyone else prefer the smaller cover size to full screen on the Powered Off and Sleep screens? It would be great to have a choice.
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #21
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I seem to be having no troubles with 1.9.9. Currently reading a commercial epub from University of Chicago Press: nicely formatted, teeny page numbers show up, I like the 7mm "xx% read • Sleep Mode" notice at the top of the screen. I leave wifi on, auto-sleep in 15 min, power off never.

I was surprised to see the device "sleeping" with the wrong book cover. A bug? Nope: I had put the Kobo Touch aside on the Home screen and put my glasses on top before turning out the light. I triggered the opening of the second book which, 15 minutes later, fell into auto-sleep.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #22
Kat123
Kat123 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
I have updated to 1.9.9. Can't see any difference so far. Have any of the following issues with 1.9.8 been fixed:
  • Home screen shows only books on SD card;
  • Device spontaneously turns itself on;
  • Pause when tapping after 6 pages or so (skips two pages after second tap).
Love my Kobo Touch, but these (particularly the first two) bugs are frustrating.
I stopped the homescreen from only showing books on the SD card by marking all of them as finished.
Kat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
Kat123
Kat123 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Does anyone else prefer the smaller cover size to full screen on the Powered Off and Sleep screens? It would be great to have a choice.
I would like a choice as well. The full screen book cover is cool though but I don't think I like the full screen book cover any better or any worse than the way it was before.
Kat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #24
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Quote:
Actually, I did. First time I have done that. I usually leave it in airplane mode.
Shouldn't be a big deal to leave it on. I used to leave mine on all the time and I haven't found any difference since I started putting it in airplane mode. The only reason I decided to try airplane was since it uses wifi to update bookmarks any time you sleep or change books or that type of thing and since I tend to read in spurts it seemed to be a waste to have it on all the time.

Of course, maybe that is the problem. If it is waking up on it's own (possibly multiple times overnight) maybe it's using the wifi a bunch and that's what ran it down. For the record I haven't had the wake issue that I'm aware of.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #25
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
I was just checking to see if I had acquired the dictionary bug. I selected a random word in the book I was reading and just after I touched the dictionary icon, I noticed it was misspelled. "Belored" instead of "Beloved".
Imagine my surprise when the dictionary informed me that it could not match the word searched but gave the closest match "Beloved".

I am sure that before this, it simply stated that the word was not found.

Larry J
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymohr View Post
Imagine my surprise when the dictionary informed me that it could not match the word searched but gave the closest match "Beloved".

I am sure that before this, it simply stated that the word was not found.

Larry J
Not sure which update this was in, but it wasn't the last one (I've seen it before the last one) -- it is a pretty cool little feature though.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #27
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzyh View Post
It's the opposite with me. I didn't have this problem with 1.9.8 but after updating to 1.9.9 I now have that problem with my dictionary.
I just noticed on mine that the dictionary entries are showing the code instead of the formatted entry, so apparently whatever they did with 1.9.9, it fixed it for some but broke it for others.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #28
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzyh View Post
Me, too.

Rather....I updated to 1.9.9 yesterady. And I've been fine all along until ten minutes ago! And I've been using the dictionary quite a bit today. Now, all of a sudden - all the HTML-ish gobbledy-gook.

Arrrrrrrgh.

~sigh~ The Touch is such a wonderful device, but I've had so many buggy things go on with it. (I even replaced one Touch, as a matter of fact). I own two now. All three have been buggy.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 07-30-2011 at 10:05 PM.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 AM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Me, too.

Rather....I updated to 1.9.9 yesterady. And I've been fine all along until ten minutes ago! And I've been using the dictionary quite a bit today. Now, all of a sudden - all the HTML-ish gobbledy-gook.
What happens if you power off / power on? Does the dictionary work then???
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:40 AM   #30
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What happens if you power off / power on? Does the dictionary work then???
Strangely enough, that seems to have fixed it. Weird.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote